• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Started Paleo Diet monday....6-13-11

zink14

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2005
Wimberley, Texas
Monday Weight: 188.1

Friday 6-17 Weight 180.2

Going to track it close and report....

Monday and Tuesday I was hungry as hell, Wednesday I had a light appetite no energy, Thurs and Friday appetite has normalized, energy level is better and overall feeling better than before I started the eating strategy.

Re: Started Paleo Diet monday....6-13-11

You should not really be hungry on the Paleo diet... that's the beauty of it. Eat more. More fat will suppress the hungry feeling... try some almonds.

btw...Why are you dieting at 188 lbs? Are you under 5'5"?

Well of course you had no energy. You lost 8 lbs in one week, that is a lot!!!

Monday and Tuesday I ate 2 lbs of almonds 6 oranges, 6 plumbs, an 18 oz ribeye 1/2 pound of mushrooms a lot of strawberries a 1/2 lb filet of snapper a pound of spinach 3 eggs, ham....and was still freaking hungry.....but like I said that is over with....(I lost 3 pounds in those 2 days)

No I am 5'10, my comfortable weight range is about 160-170 that is where feel the best....so just trying to get there...I am going to get some blood work done in thirty days, if it looks good I will consider Paleo as a long term change

What was your BF% starting and after that week. I assume that was mostly all bloat and water?

I've been on Paleo for almost a year. Best thing I ever did for myself. I eat 5-6 times a day. If you are feeling hungry, add a morning and afternoon snack. My favorite snack is a smoothie:

8 oz of Silk or Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. (Can also use organic milk).
1 scoop of Protein Powder.
Fruit of choice (banana, apple, or strawberries).
1 tbsp of Almond Butter.
Ice.

You can also split them up by having the protein powder with the milk and a piece of fruit with some nuts. Another great snack is sliced apples with almond butter.

i have been thinking of giving this a go. i dont need to lose weight really and i eat pretty healthy enough but iv heard people saying they feel great when they make this a way of eating long term wise. just wondering did you buy any books for info /meals ?any you recommend?

I did not do a body fat% prior... So I don't know the comp of weight loss, but with full disclosure I loose fat weight very quickly, in Year 2000 I lost 60 lbs in 5 months by eating 2000 cals a day and working out 50 mins 5 days a week.

My wife and I got 2 books on paleo one by wolf and one by cordian both are good, we pulling from both to find a livable eating strategy.

Wolfe is definitely the right guy to be learning from. He has a great forum going too.

I'm not sure why but there was a huge falling out between him and the Crossfit founder a while back so I'm not sure if he is still known in the Crossfit world.

I pretty much follow the Paleo diet. I lie it a lot. It's just how I eat I think works for me

Sir, with 6 oranges, I'd've been hungry too. Fruit is "candy from a tree," at least as regarded by some folks who support a Paleo diet. It does a remarkably good job of stimulating an insulin spike secondary to its carbohydrate value. So, if you want to tweak your Paleo, and you still want fruit, go to berries. Second, be wary of "grazing," i.e., eating multiple small meals per day. Arguably there is better long-term value with respect to fat loss to the naturally occurring intermittent fasting that ensues as a function of shifting from a carb based diet to a fat based diet.

some excellent websites are:

www.proteinpower.com (the blog of Michael Eades, MD)
www.archevore.com (the blog of Kurt Harris, MD)
www.trackyourplaque.com/blog (the blog of William Davis, MD)

with respect to exercise, unless you engage in a specific sport - and arguably even there - you do not need to expose yourself to needless risk of injury or overtraining if you follow one simple protocol: x1 - x2 per week of high intensity, interval training. Two good sites:

www.bodybyscience.net
http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/default.aspx

and one site that may have value (save for its idiotic notion of "cardio," it does a pretty good job of explaining the Tabata protocol)

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Congrats on being into the 21st century with respect to fat loss and keep up the good work
smile.gif

tony

inspired and hope this method as good as some of you think it is- ill be posting pictures when Im mean machine and not a yeti

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 days in; 9 pounds down....feeling great! </div></div>

That's awesome. I got down to 155-160 and added a strength and conditioning program to go with the CrossFit. Once I got to the above target weight, I decided that I wanted to put on weight, but in a healthy way, and I can't do it. I can't get past 160. Never thought I would have that problem.

Keep eating Paleo and your body will let you know what your natural weight should be. At your height, it will most likely be at around 170. I have a bunch of friends and co-workers that eat Paleo and it has held true for all of them.

yep, exactly my experience, sir. I now weigh virtually precisely what I weighed when I graduated from Parris Island in 1957 (that would be the ancient Corps): 164#. I went through a dumb ass period where I ran marathons and ultra-marathons and got enough muscle wasting along with depleted protein to weigh 142, and then when I quit that stupid shit, but continued to eat the standard Pritikin Diet, I bloated up to 181. Crap, if I'd've tripped 10 years ago, I'd've rolled to death. I got to 171 by high intensity strength training, dropping carbs, adding protein, but, until I virtually eliminated carbs, added saturated fat to make up for the calorie deficit, quit the horse shit "cardio," and focused only on HIT, well, as is said "the rest is history." btw, I'm 73 years old, and even the hotties look my way
smile.gif
laugh.gif

keep up the good work those of you all who have "gotten" this approach.

down to 177....weight loss has slowed, but still loosing weight at a healthy pace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">down to 177....weight loss has slowed, but still loosing weight at a healthy pace. </div></div>

Good job, don't forget to keep drinking plenty of water!

zink,

don't be surpised when your weight loss stabilizes. when it does, literature suggests reducing protein and upping the good saturated fat, while keeping carbs low as possible. You should reach a time when you are eating two meals a day. Avoid "grazing," i.e., eating multiple small meals; let the naturally occurring intermittent fasting have its good effect.

You can almost count on it that if you get the "hungry's" after a meal, it's almost certain to be the result of an insulin spike secondary to the sugar content in the previous meal you had (and remember, the notion of "whole grain" is bullshit - they are all sugar, complex or not).

Fluid intake is good. I say again, Fluid intake is good!!!!! Ice cold if you can.

the foregoing is my own personal experience with Paleo; I'm not a registered nutritionist (thank God, most of them are still in the mid 20th century), not even on Oprah
smile.gif
so, YMMV, but FWIW, today at 73 years old I'm 161.2 and 10% BF at 5" 6.5". I train HIT x2 per week and that's it.
smile.gif

hth, and you're doin' one damn fine job, sir, keep it up
smile.gif

tony

just got my paleo diet book in the mail today. anybody have any decent recipes that are fairly easy to cook/prepare that taste decent?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been on Paleo for almost a year. Best thing I ever did for myself. I eat 5-6 times a day. If you are feeling hungry, add a morning and afternoon snack. My favorite snack is a smoothie:

8 oz of Silk or Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. (Can also use organic milk).
1 scoop of Protein Powder.
Fruit of choice (banana, apple, or strawberries).
1 tbsp of Almond Butter.
Ice.

You can also split them up by having the protein powder with the milk and a piece of fruit with some nuts. Another great snack is sliced apples with almond butter. </div></div>
i was under the assumption you couldnt have protein powder on the paleo diet???

Depends upon which Paleo guru you read, and where in the course of the diet one is: e.g., Eades' "Six Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle" is virtually an entirely protein smoothie regimen for the first two weeks; the second two weeks, IIRC, one gets to have a "food" meal; the third two weeks, one is down to one smoothie a day.

Kurt Harris' protocol is probably the easiest to follow and can be found here:

http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

hth

tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends upon which Paleo guru you read, and where in the course of the diet one is: e.g., Eades' "Six Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle" is virtually an entirely protein smoothie regimen for the first two weeks; the second two weeks, IIRC, one gets to have a "food" meal; the third two weeks, one is down to one smoothie a day.

Kurt Harris' protocol is probably the easiest to follow and can be found here:

http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

hth

tony </div></div>

thanks...reading now.

as of this AM I am 171.0...I am eating great, this eating strategy really works!

roughly two weeks and 6#'s. Way to go, Zink14!!!. And your right: it is a strategy and not a tactical maneuver
smile.gif
Keep up the good work and letting us know how your doing
smile.gif

tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as of this AM I am 171.0...I am eating great, this eating strategy really works! </div></div>

Outstanding , more importantly , how do you feel?
Alot of people think that they will feel bad on a diet like this

got the book and been roughly following the diet. ive been just drinking maily wwater instead of soda and coffee.

im feeling pretty good, but cant tell any weight is coming off. might just need to cut the calories back in general.

im going to have to invest in a crock pot and throw the days food in there the night before. its hard to follow for someone like me who is always on the run and doesnt have much time at home to cool.

I feel great, I have no afternoon slowdown and energy level is way up. My system has reacted really well to the dietary change....Hyena, I work about 10-12 hrs a day, I have figured out how to eat paleo in almost every restaurant I eat at, home or on the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel great, I have no afternoon slowdown and energy level is way up. My system has reacted really well to the dietary change....Hyena, I work about 10-12 hrs a day, I have figured out how to eat paleo in almost every restaurant I eat at, home or on the road. </div></div>

Thats the Key , if you can't pick it or kill it then don't eat it. Humans are THE apex hunters we were build to eat meat.

Its often not real easy but once you get the hang of it you can follow the diet about anywhere

JJones, I grew up in Covington/ Mandeville....don't think I could do the Paleo Diet down there!

I've been Paleo since April and I am down 17lbs and feel better at 30 than I did at 20. It's been the best thing to happen to me in a long while. An added benefit, no more stomach problems from all the carbs/sugars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yep, exactly my experience, sir. I now weigh virtually precisely what I weighed when I graduated from Parris Island in 1957 (that would be the ancient Corps): 164#. I went through a dumb ass period where I ran marathons and ultra-marathons and got enough muscle wasting along with depleted protein to weigh 142, and then when I quit that stupid shit, but continued to eat the standard Pritikin Diet, I bloated up to 181. Crap, if I'd've tripped 10 years ago, I'd've rolled to death. I got to 171 by high intensity strength training, dropping carbs, adding protein, but, until I virtually eliminated carbs, added saturated fat to make up for the calorie deficit, quit the horse shit "cardio," and focused only on HIT, well, as is said "the rest is history." btw, I'm 73 years old, and even the hotties look my way
smile.gif
laugh.gif

keep up the good work those of you all who have "gotten" this approach. </div></div>

Very inspiring sir!

Update day 56:

Blood work done at Day 40

Total Cholesterol down 20%
HDL up
LDL down
Blood Sugar is extremely stable Fasting avg 88, pre meal 88, 2 hrs post meal 99**this is significant because my a1c was out of range 3 months ago thus changing my diet
Blood Pressure is great!

Weight loss has leveled out at 168 lbs (total of 20 pounds lost)

Over all feeling great, I wish I had eaten this way when I younger!!!

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> <span style="font-size: 14pt">Outstanding work</span>

its to bad more people dont see the light that humans are predators mostly , not desgined to sit around and graze on grains

down to 164 still feeling good...I am going to stick with this for a long time, it is now just a part of the way I live....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to stick with this for a long time, it is now just a part of the way I live.... </div></div>

thats the key right their , congradulations