• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Starting a Savage 12FV build; Have some painfully newb questions about stock bedding...

UCChris

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Utah, USA
Hey guys, sorry for the dumb-ass question, but I'm looking at starting a LR build off of a Savage 12FV (Cabela's exclusive) in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm looking at aftermarket stocks, and I have a question about the fitment of a B&C Medalist #2 (https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...0-vertical-grip-2092-2096-2997-2998-2999.html)

The Savage 12FV is a 4.4", blind, centerfeed mag, short action rifle with top bolt release. So my question is do I need

1) Model 2997 - Savage 4.4" centerfeed

or

2) Model 2999 - Savage 10-16 short action

Both of those describe my rifle, but I'm assuming I need the one for 4.4" centerfeed, since that's more specific?

Also, I know B&C stocks have aluminum bedding "pseudo-chassis", if you will. I was wondering, will I need to put any bedding material in the stock or is it a simple drop in, bolt up, and go installation?

That's all for now, thanks guys!

If your rifle has 4.4" spacing, use 2997.
2999 is for the 4.27" screw spacing.
Measure your spacing to make certain you are ordering the right one.
You would likely not need any bedding. Savage actions are typically pretty straight and mate well with the bedding block.

I bought a 4.4 center feed version of that same stock for a Stevens 200 action some years ago. I have since bolted my 12FV into that same stock and it works great - factory action screws and all.

Never felt the need to bed as my .223 12FV is a laser with its favorite bullets/powder.

Reactions: williamjwolfjr
Pro-tip: if the barrel isn't centered in the barrel channel when you bolt it up "dry", don't forget to to bed the tang area. However, if you're happy with the way everything fits together when you first get the stock, there's not likely to be much if anything to be gained from bedding (at least while you're running a factory barrel, etc...).

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll be picking up a 4.4" centerfeed model. EJ1001 , I'm going to be mounting a SWFA 42mm scope in medium Talley 30mm rings. What rail/ring/scope combo are you running? How's the cheek weld? I want to spring for an adjustable comb model, but those are another $200. Trying to see if it's worth it.

Also check out the Choate stock. Full length bedding block and for end rail. A little heavy but solid as a tank.

Yep. You can get butt spacers plus various height cheek piece to achieve good fit.

I am looking to get a bell and Carlson for my 12fv as well. I want to keep the blind magazine, but it is attached to the stock. Is it transferable from the factory stock to the bell and Carlson made for savage 4.40 blind magazine?

Kbroad,

Blind mag parts come out of the factory stock. The first time, it needs a little 'help' to come out.....

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll be picking up a 4.4" centerfeed model. EJ1001 , I'm going to be mounting a SWFA 42mm scope in medium Talley 30mm rings. What rail/ring/scope combo are you running? How's the cheek weld? I want to spring for an adjustable comb model, but those are another $200. Trying to see if it's worth it.

I run a Seekins one piece 20 MOA rail, Seekins rings, and SWFA 12x scope on my 12FV. I use a triad tactical stock pack to get my eye where it needs to be. It works 'ok', but if I had to do it all over I would have sprung for the adjustable comb version. I still may so that for my other action, but I am deciding between trying a chassis system this time.