• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Starting my first AR build soon...

kellogg2185

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Going to do it piece by piece, as the wallet allows. Where should I start? Any general consensus as to what are the better lowers to go with? Does forged vs. cast really matter? I'm looking to build one geared as an entry-style gun in 5.56, looking to get decent accuracy but it doesn't need to be a tack driver necessarily. If this topic has been discussed in length before I don't want to waste your all's time, but if you could point me to the link it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Re: Starting my first AR build soon...

I'm a cheap builder (spend as little as possible most of the time).

I've used DPMS, YHM, S&W and Spike's Tactical and haven't seen a difference in them so far. If you do some research (ar15.com has a lot of info on who actually makes parts for most of the different AR15 parts vendors - but there may other good AR oriented forums besides this one but this is the only one I frequent).

Its fun. I'm trying to shake the habit. I'm finishing up one right now (spike's tactical lower, CAA collapsable stock, BCM flat top upper and one of the new ion bond bolts, yeah, so much for the cheaper statement, huh, RRA chrome lined lightweight barrel with mid-length gas system and RRA free float tube.

Without the loaded magazine and the optics (iron sights only at this point) it weighs in at 6 lbs., which is what I was looking for this time, light and easy to carry/handle. I've got the 24" bull barreled bipod free floated varmint rifle version, the 20" HBAR free float flat top A2 version, the CAR15 version, etc. but I wanted a 16" barreled .223 to play with. If it doesn't work out I'll try something else.

Good luck on your build and have fun

If you don't want to free float your rifle rguns.net sells a DPMS barrel with a flash hider, front post sight and the delta ring assemble for $175. My buddy just put a complete AR together using that barrel assemble. Although rguns does not have very good customer service at all, however they do have cheap stuff.

I would keep my eye open for some cheap uppers and lowers. Watch the selling forums and see what you can snatch up at a good price. I would start with the lower or upper. Finish one then move on to the next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TORQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">forged receivers and stay away from dpms </div></div>

+1