• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Precision Rifle Build

CybrSlydr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2021
Casper, WY
I thought I'd start a new thread since the old one was about choosing what to get for my build, not the actual build its-self.

I got the shipping confirmation from Altus today, so it should make it to my LGS sometime this week (maybe Wednesday).

I also just ordered a Vortex Gen 3 6-36 off EuroOptic. I registered my Military status with Vortex, but the rep I spoke with said it'd be about 2 months before they'd get any in. So he told me to go with EuroOptic.

So, what does my first precision rifle look like?

I ordered the following:

Zermatt Origin action
Proof SS M24 barrel blank in 6.5 Creedmoor
MDT XRS Chassis in FDE (I wanted black, but Altus didn't have the black in stock)
TriggerTech Special
MDT 10rd magazine
Vortex Razor G3 6-36 EBR-7D

Now I need to hop over to my LGS and see what mounting rings they have and pick up some other ancillary pieces.

I think I'm going to have the gunsmith do a black Cerakote finish on the barrel. I'm also going to have him thread the end for a suppressor.

As soon as I get pictures of the parts and the assembled gun, I'll be sure to post them on here for you!

I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed to the original thread massively for their help in reaching this decision. I'm extremely excited to get behind this and start poking holes in paper from a long way away. :)

Can you share your original post? My brother in law is looking to get a precision rifle for shooting steel/ target shooting but not for a specific discipline prs/nrl hunter/f class. There are so many options now. He’s thinking of going the tikka route and putting it in a krg bravo. I told him he should go the Zermatt origin barreled action route because I already have an action wrench for it because I have a tl3. There is loose reviews on the origin or people say they like them but nothing in depth I have found. They are never in stock anywhere so they are selling. Is there anything anyone can say about them that would push him to not go that route and save some cash and do get a factory rifle. There are so many factory precision rifles now to. Out of what I can think of to list what is overall the go to off the shelf precision rifle that you guys stand behind that you actually enjoy thoroughly.
Aero precision solus
Seekins bravo/ hit
Bergara premier mpa
Mpa production rifle
Tikka tac a1(or buy a tikka t3x in and put it in a bravo chassis)
Badrock southfork
A few of those are more than he wants to spend. Caliber will be 6.5 creedmoor and as of now he is planning on a leupold mark 5 for glass.

Can you share your original post? My brother in law is looking to get a precision rifle for shooting steel/ target shooting but not for a specific discipline prs/nrl hunter/f class. There are so many options now. He’s thinking of going the tikka route and putting it in a krg bravo. I told him he should go the Zermatt origin barreled action route because I already have an action wrench for it because I have a tl3. There is loose reviews on the origin or people say they like them but nothing in depth I have found. They are never in stock anywhere so they are selling. Is there anything anyone can say about them that would push him to not go that route and save some cash and do get a factory rifle. There are so many factory precision rifles now to. Out of what I can think of to list what is overall the go to off the shelf precision rifle that you guys stand behind that you actually enjoy thoroughly.
Aero precision solus
Seekins bravo/ hit
Bergara premier mpa
Mpa production rifle
Tikka tac a1(or buy a tikka t3x in and put it in a bravo chassis)
Badrock southfork
A few of those are more than he wants to spend. Caliber will be 6.5 creedmoor and as of now he is planning on a leupold mark 5 for glass.
I'm putting a SOLUS through T&E and so far I am pretty impressed with it. I have a couple posts on it. I also have a ARC Nucleus that's gonna get a barrel put on it when UPS shows up tomorrow. It has some really nice features and is a tried and true action tested by many. I will never buy a factory rifle again. Building your own from selected parts is not only fun, but makes your rig vastly superior to a factory build.

So is the solus you have the complete rifle they sell or did you get a barreled action? Very interested in your findings through t&e. It was his top pick for a factory build and I’m interested in it too for the price point.

I'm putting a SOLUS through T&E and so far I am pretty impressed with it. I have a couple posts on it. I also have a ARC Nucleus that's gonna get a barrel put on it when UPS shows up tomorrow. It has some really nice features and is a tried and true action tested by many. I will never buy a factory rifle again. Building your own from selected parts is not only fun, but makes your rig vastly superior to a factory build.
So is the solus you have the complete rifle they sell or did you get a barreled action? Very interested in your findings through t&e. It was his top pick for a factory build and I’m interested in it too for the price point.

There's my original thread. Be warned, it is LONG.

5917ae1bfe663cf3-1200x675.jpg

My opinion is Zermatt has been machining parts too the tightest of tolerances for years. Aero a a new comer in now a market where let’s face it budget friendly is not a term that goes hand in hand with precision rifle it’s difficult to say they will have a high quality product that will be mass produced to the same quality unless it was manufactured by a known source that has held those tolerances previously. On paper the solus rifle looks like the best thing next to the seekins bravo you could buy in a production rifle. Other than the ga precision ppr which I think should offered on a larger scale but I get the reasoning behind why it’s not.

My opinion is Zermatt has been machining parts too the tightest of tolerances for years. Aero a a new comer in now a market where let’s face it budget friendly is not a term that goes hand in hand with precision rifle it’s difficult to say they will have a high quality product that will be mass produced to the same quality unless it was manufactured by a known source that has held those tolerances previously. On paper the solus rifle looks like the best thing next to the seekins bravo you could buy in a production rifle. Other than the ga precision ppr which I think should offered on a larger scale but I get the reasoning behind why it’s not.
Is this an opinion you just formed after listing the Aero in your previous list? I don't even know why you asked if you already had the Zermatt answer.

Is this an opinion you just formed after listing the Aero in your previous list? I don't even know why you asked if you already had the Zermatt answer.
I own a tl3 custom build. They have been in the industry for quite some time and any one who as owned one will tell you they are top tier quality. My only qualm with the tl3 is the floating bolt head can cause a minor bind if you run the bolt incorrectly. Imo you can run a bolt to cause it to get to much friction to make it bind with any action so it’s not something to say that would make it less than any others. If you notice now shooters will push the bolt forward with the thumb on the back of it anyways which eliminates this. As for the solus I don’t have the Zermatt answer. I know they are priced at the same point and one has been around longer and has a lot more users because of that. Like I said he is looking to buy a precision rifle this isn’t me looking to stroke a brand in favor of that. It is too bad there isn’t a Zermatt origin krg bravo rifle with a proof pre fit available with a trigger tech trigger available to purchase.

You could get all those parts from Altus for just over $2k.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213_222859_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213_222859_Chrome.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: Mrindecisive
Vortex G3 arrived and wow. It's difficult to really comprehend the size and heft of these things from videos. This thing, even without the sunshade, is absolutely massive!

Tracking says my rifle components should get to my LGS on Friday. Currently in TN.

EDIT: Also just placed an order for some Vortex Precision Matched 1" rings and a bubble level off EuroOptic. Hard to say no to that 40% discount!

Attachments

• 20230214_140707.jpg
    20230214_140707.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230214_140723.jpg
    20230214_140723.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Reactions: Trapper1956
Parts arrived yesterday at the LGS! Optics rings and the bubble level also eventually arrived, so everything is now with the gunsmith.

Said he could start it in about a week. So, my guess is 3-4wks and it'll be ready!

Very excited!

Went to the LGS today to see when it might be ready - says it'll probably be another week before it's done. Says he's pretty busy and there's a hunting convention/show in town this weekend, so he's building a rifle for that.

Fingers crossed next Friday I'll be getting a call!

Got a call from the gunsmith today, wanted me to come in as he had some questions when he was going through my parts.

Immediately I thought I ordered the wrong *something*. Wrong magazine, got a long-action bolt instead of a short-action, etc.

I get to the shop and he has me come around so we can check out my parts and...

52739110409_0e4484dc13_k.jpg

TA-DA!!!

She's almost done! Just need the barrel cerakoted. However, since it's ready (and I already did the transfer and paid for the work, along with an M-LOK pic rail and Atlas bi-pod they grabbed off one of their display weapons - lol) aside from the cerakote, they said I can come in and shoot it! Just so happens a co-worker of mine is coming up tomorrow and we were going to go to the range anyway with my pistols. Now we can shoot the rifle! They have a 100yd indoor range.

Color me excited! :D

Just constructive suggestion here, but you might want a chassis stock with ability to add weights to balance out the barrel weight. That can also aid in accuracy when placed into a heavy sand rear bag. You sure meant business with the action, barrel, and scope!

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Just constructive suggestion here, but you might want a chassis stock with ability to add weights to balance out the barrel weight. That can also aid in accuracy when placed into a heavy sand rear bag. You sure meant business with the action, barrel, and scope!
You're quite right! I was stunned how heavy that thing is. All told, I think it's close to or over 15lbs. It's DEFINITELY not a light-weight hunting to take over hill and over Dale. LOL

Barrel is 28". I figured it'd be 24, but when he asked how long I wanted it, the gunsmith said you want as much barrel as possible. He also shoots PRS and I told him to make it what he'd want. I want to say it's right around 48" overall length.

You're quite right! I was stunned how heavy that thing is. All told, I think it's close to or over 15lbs. It's DEFINITELY not a light-weight hunting to take over hill and over Dale. LOL

Barrel is 28". I figured it'd be 24, but when he asked how long I wanted it, the gunsmith said you want as much barrel as possible. He also shoots PRS and I told him to make it what he'd want. I want to say it's right around 48" overall length.
What is the primary use? I will hunt with a 30lbs 300WM ELR gun if I am sniping hogs at a feeder, but I use it for 1 mile ELR primarily.
I have 18lbs rigs I pay around with on my hillbilly PRS range. I end up with 11lbs rigs I use for canyon busting walk & stalks.

What is the primary use? I will hunt with a 30lbs 300WM ELR gun if I am sniping hogs at a feeder, but I use it for 1 mile ELR primarily.
I have 18lbs rigs I pay around with on my hillbilly PRS range. I end up with 11lbs rigs I use for canyon busting walk & stalks.
This is 100% a PRS rifle. I have zero desire to hunt with it.

He also shoots PRS and I told him to make it what he'd want.
Lesson learned, I guess. Never outsource requirements themselves to anyone else as they arent using it, you are. Nothing about the finished product should ever take you by surprise unless there’s a departure from your stated requirements.

That said, looks like he built you a decent rig. Good luck and congrats on your first precision rifle.

If you’re really unsure about the longer bbl length just have him trim it down while he still has it, assuming you haven’t already done so.

Lesson learned, I guess. Never outsource requirements themselves to anyone else as they arent using it, you are. Nothing about the finished product should ever take you by surprise unless there’s a departure from your stated requirements.

That said, looks like he built you a decent rig. Good luck and congrats on your first precision rifle.

If you’re really unsure about the longer bbl length just have him trim it down while he still has it, assuming you haven’t already done so.
Oh, no, I'm happy with the 28" barrel. I just wanted to make sure the MINIMUM barrel length was 24".

I wouldn't say I "outsourced" my requirements - I prefer to think I was utilizing the experience of a trained PRS shooter and gunsmith to fill in the blanks in my own personal knowledge.

The quals they list on the website:
  • Graduate with honors from the Colorado School of Trades, 2016
  • Associate Member of American Custom Gunmaker’s Guild, 2018
  • Apprenticeships with master gun makers
  • Certified National Rifle Association Range Safety Officer
  • Completed Gordy Gritters Precision Rifle Building Course from the Extreme Accuracy Institute.

So, I have no problem deferring to his knowledge on my first rifle.

Ok, I saw you mention humping a heavy rifle hunting, so that's where I got that notion. You'll undoubtedly get ideas as you shoot PRS.
I was just mentioning that as a clear distinction in purpose - I wasn't building this with light-weight or portability in mind.

The biggest weight-saver I could do is when I shoot this barrel out (in a few thousand rounds/years) is just upgrade to a Proof Carbon barrel. That alone saves over 4lbs.

I was just mentioning that as a clear distinction in purpose - I wasn't building this with light-weight or portability in mind.

The biggest weight-saver I could do is when I shoot this barrel out (in a few thousand rounds/years) is just upgrade to a Proof Carbon barrel. That alone saves over 4lbs.
Well, don't worry about saving weight. For your stated purpose weight is your friend. I would only put a carbon barrel on a hunting rig.

Reactions: spife7980
I'm back to report on my first session with the rifle! Used 50 rounds, my friend used 10. So 60 rounds total through it. Used Hornady 140 and 147gr as well as Federal 140.
First shots were to try and sight-in the optic. Initially at 25yds, it was shooting WAY high. Slowly walked it down in 10mil increments.

All-in-all, I was very pleased with the rifle. It's certainly more capable of shooting accurately at this point than I am. The biggest issue BY FAR, was finding a comfortable and stable shooting position. I bought a front and rear Caldwell shooting bag, but since I also got the Atlas bipod, I didn't need to use the front. However, the seats were a little too short for me and the rear bag was extremely unstable when the optic was aligned on the target.

I also had to have the bag so far forward, it was interfering with my grip. It was also uncomfortably digging into my chest. I'm certainly looking forward to getting outside so I can shoot from the prone position. I'm also seriously considering buying an adjustable monopod for the rear if such a thing is made. Frustrating isn't the word for what it was like trying to steady that rifle when sighting in. I would have just shot without the bag, but with the seats being too short, even that wasn't comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: higgysmalls
Throw away the caldwell shit and get a tatertot or game changer that has the heavy sand fill. It’ll work well as a rear bag in conjunction with the bipod and let you shoot well off of props too.
Something like the Wiebad Range Cube?

Something like the Wiebad Range Cube?
It’s fine but I much prefer my tater tot as I can do what the range cube does just as well with it but the range cube can’t plop down on a barricade nearly as well.

The tater tot is the same roundness as a mini only it’s wider on the flat so when laid on its side it’s tall enough to clear a standard aics mag
That and a game changer are what you’ll see most people at prs comps using. And for good reason.
Edit: range cube doesn’t sit there nicely on something like this or worse a round one.
image.jpg

And it’s nice that it can hang down a bit in front of the prop and lets you push into the prop without the mag bouncing off the hard prop
image.jpg

Also, forgot I made this little write up awhile back https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bag-weights-edit-and-sizes-and-how-i-use-em.7075533/

Last edited:
Vortex G3 arrived and wow. It's difficult to really comprehend the size and heft of these things from videos. This thing, even without the sunshade, is absolutely massive!

Tracking says my rifle components should get to my LGS on Friday. Currently in TN.

EDIT: Also just placed an order for some Vortex Precision Matched 1" rings and a bubble level off EuroOptic. Hard to say no to that 40% discount!
They give a 40% military discount?

They give a 40% military discount?
Yes, for Vortex products. You have to send them a DD214 or similar document to prove it.

$2399.99 for the Gen 3 6-36x56 plus tax, etc.

You can immediately purchase it and have it processed and shipped, but they reserve the right to change the price should your documentation prove insufficient or fraudulent.

I didn't have any issues. Originally I was going to order through Vortex themselves but they didn't have any in stock and wouldn't for a couple months, so they sent me to Euro Optic.

Yes, for Vortex products. You have to send them a DD214 or similar document to prove it.

$2399.99 for the Gen 3 6-36x56 plus tax, etc.

You can immediately purchase it and have it processed and shipped, but they reserve the right to change the price should your documentation prove insufficient or fraudulent.

I didn't have any issues. Originally I was going to order through Vortex themselves but they didn't have any in stock and wouldn't for a couple months, so they sent me to Euro Optic.
Right on, this is good to know, thanks..

Got a call from the gunsmith today, wanted me to come in as he had some questions when he was going through my parts.

Immediately I thought I ordered the wrong *something*. Wrong magazine, got a long-action bolt instead of a short-action, etc.

I get to the shop and he has me come around so we can check out my parts and...

52739110409_0e4484dc13_k.jpg

TA-DA!!!

She's almost done! Just need the barrel cerakoted. However, since it's ready (and I already did the transfer and paid for the work, along with an M-LOK pic rail and Atlas bi-pod they grabbed off one of their display weapons - lol) aside from the cerakote, they said I can come in and shoot it! Just so happens a co-worker of mine is coming up tomorrow and we were going to go to the range anyway with my pistols. Now we can shoot the rifle! They have a 100yd indoor range.

Color me excited! :D
Beautiful...

And she's home!

52758553693_645a549df0_k.jpg

I did end up buying a Thunder Beast brake because... When I talked to the gunsmith, I said I was going to purchase a suppressor "eventually", but he apparently heard "imminently" - so assuming I was going to buy one, he put the brake on it anyway.

I was going to wait on the brake since the suppressor comes with a brake, but it was already on and timed and everything so... I just said screw it and bought the brake. So, at worst, I'll have an extra brake to sell on here when I get around to getting the suppressor. lol

The lady at the counter was at the event where it was being displayed and commented my rifle was quite the Belle of the Ball. Multiple people asked to buy it. lol

Cerakote job on the barrel is great!

Cannot wait for the weather to warm up a bit and clear up so I can take it out and shoot at some distances over 100yds. :)

Thank you, everyone, for your assistance and enjoy the pics!

Reactions: Mrindecisive

Well lookie there!

This is my rifle he built!
So far, she shoots great! Can't wait for the weather to warm up a little bit so I can shoot outdoors a bit more comfortably.
🙂

Nice build and Thanks for the great info. I am wanting to get into long range percision shooting and I'm COMPLETELY new to it ALL!!! So I'm doing as much research as I possibly can right now. I can't say that I have a preference right now since I wouldn't have anything to base it on. I am in a wheelchair and have been for 32 years now, so being able to compete against fellow shooters is all new to me, naturally. I plan on getting out to competitions and checking out the scene and talk to other shooters.
From what I've read, the best thing to do is get the best scope you can afford. I LOVE shooting long distance and always have. I get excited just thinking about it.
ANY and ALL suggestions you guys can give me is going to be appreciated!!! What did the set-up you just completed here cost, roughly? I didn't see any prices except for the scope. I am also ex-military, so I should be eligible for a discount. Just curious as to what a final price is going to run me, ballpark that is. You never really know, especially with this economy. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you guys out on the range one day.

Nice build and Thanks for the great info. I am wanting to get into long range percision shooting and I'm COMPLETELY new to it ALL!!! So I'm doing as much research as I possibly can right now. I can't say that I have a preference right now since I wouldn't have anything to base it on. I am in a wheelchair and have been for 32 years now, so being able to compete against fellow shooters is all new to me, naturally. I plan on getting out to competitions and checking out the scene and talk to other shooters.
From what I've read, the best thing to do is get the best scope you can afford. I LOVE shooting long distance and always have. I get excited just thinking about it.
ANY and ALL suggestions you guys can give me is going to be appreciated!!! What did the set-up you just completed here cost, roughly? I didn't see any prices except for the scope. I am also ex-military, so I should be eligible for a discount. Just curious as to what a final price is going to run me, ballpark that is. You never really know, especially with this economy. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you guys out on the range one day.
All-in, this rifle cost me just under $7k to build. Part of it was also the labor involved for the gunsmith to put it together. Parts-wise, I'd say it was about $6k?

The actual rifle was about $2500 in parts, the optic was another $2500, bipod was $300 or so, labor probably made up the difference (cutting/crowning the barrel, fitting to the rifle, bedding the action, etc).

Reactions: Nachair
All-in, this rifle cost me just under $7k to build. Part of it was also the labor involved for the gunsmith to put it together. Parts-wise, I'd say it was about $6k?

The actual rifle was about $2500 in parts, the optic was another $2500, bipod was $300 or so, labor probably made up the difference (cutting/crowning the barrel, fitting to the rifle, bedding the action, etc).
Thanks. It gives me a lot to think about. There are a lot of options out there and with me being new to the sport, I just need to get out to some competitions and see what's what so I don't go spending money on something I don't need. I read once to buy the best glass you can afford, because its easier to get a lot your money back on a rifle than a scope.You have given me a good base to start with. Thank you very much!!!