• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Starting to get my doubts.

coulthard_west

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
new orleans la
I originally ordered my sn3 on feb 13th. I was quoted 6 to 8 weeks build time. Then the clean room incident happened and got pushed back to 12 weeks. 12 weeks later and still not even started the build and they push it back to 16 weeks. Today makes the 16th week and still haven't started the build. What the hell is going on. If one person can build 2 a day and there's at least 5 people building them that's at least 50 a week and 200 a month. What is taking so long?

Re: Starting to get my doubts.

I just did, they told me not done yet. I can understand if it was in the process of being built, please take your time and get it right. But after 16 weeks I was expecting results

I guess all I can say is you will be happy when you get it... of course you've probably already heard that 100 times.

indeed I have. But they don't even know where it's at, only it's not even in line to be built. That's what posses me off. Can can u not know where it's at in line

I would be pretty hot myself, there are other options out there though. Just need to decide if you are willing to wait or not.

s.i.t. - I feel your pain. I just got my scope a few days ago, which was originally ordered mid January. I received one scope at a little over 14 weeks, which had the wrong reticle, and then had another month of wait before the replacement showed up. During that last month of wait, I called twice to check on it, and was told each time that it would be done by the end of that week (it wasn't, either time). In the end I was told that they were out of the reticle I wanted, which was the reason for the delay on the replacement. They apologized for the lack of communication and overnighted the scope when it was done. That gesture made me feel much better about the whole thing, and I understand shit happens.

I know the whole theory behind "don't call, it will only delay it longer", I get that. I didn't call at all until the original lead time quoted was up, and then didn't call again until almost twice the lead time was up. I know $2,500 (paid up front) is a lot of $$$ for me to spend on a scope. As the weeks ticked by and I still didn't have a scope, I couldn't help but feel unhappy with the whole transaction. I wanted IPHY / IPHY, which was much of the reason I continued to wait. If I was ordering MIL / MIL, I probably would have cancelled my order and had a Premier on the way...

Regarding this transaction, I was left feeling satisfied, although not completely thrilled, with USO's CS / communication. All that being said, I really do love my new scope.

I don't call until after the quoted time has past, and your right. If they would comunicate more with the customers they would be more happy. But the part I still do t understand is how can u not know the order of scopes to be built so u can give a more understandable lead time

FWIW, my SN9 took about 9 months from order to delivery. You definitely get what you pay for with their scopes - bombproof, clear and made to your specs. On top of that, the SN9 is a pretty unique scope, so it's not like I was going somewhere else. Wait times have been excessive as of late, but I suspect things will calm down and return to normal in the future. I wouldn't hold it against them, but I completely relate to your frustration on the wait. It's difficult when you know you can drop the money on a different scope and have it in your hands in less than a week, but USO is the only place I know of where you can really customize so many aspects of the scope to make one that fits exactly what you want.

im going on 9 months for a repair. its on the way as of a phone call today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im going on 9 months for a repair. its on the way as of a phone call today.

</div></div>

6 month's

Just ordered one. I look at it with the Ronco mindset. Just set it, and forget it....

I know they're backed up, I just put it out of my mind and when it shows up I'll do my happy dance...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I originally ordered my sn3 on feb 13th. I was quoted 6 to 8 weeks build time. Then the clean room incident happened and got pushed back to 12 weeks. 12 weeks later and still not even started the build and they push it back to 16 weeks. Today makes the 16th week and still haven't started the build. What the hell is going on. If one person can build 2 a day and there's at least 5 people building them that's at least 50 a week and 200 a month. What is taking so long? </div></div>

I feel ya S.I.T, I ordered my sn3-tpal on Feb. 10, called today for the first time and was told "at least 1 more month". I screwed up by not ordering last November during their sale.

i hear ya az, and the sad part is that they dont even know what order the scopes were ordered in. makes u wonder if those who have ordered after us are gonna get theirs first

Damn, I just ordered mine last week and expected a 3 month wait. Now you guys have me thinking I'll be waiting MUCH longer.

Drop John a PM on here and see if he can unravel the mystery for you. I consider all USO employees to be friendly and helpful but they have had new people coming in who may not know their way around the place yet, let alone answer your questions. I always go straight to the source (e.g. John or Arnold), albeit via a detour to Becky of course.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what was the build time u were quoted falar? </div></div>

I didn't even ask, I knew it would be long. Until popping in this thread though I had never heard of 6-9 month waits, yikes!

I would suggest watching the "For Sales" if your in for one of these scopes, they pop up frequently.

I would imagine the reason for that is within the build time frame, ones life can change completely, for instance, in the build time frame, you could find out that your wife is pregnant, your baby is born, drivers education, and college all starts.

I just placed an order and was quoted 14 weeks. I don't mind waiting but I do mind waiting 9 months. This whole thing chaps my ass a bit because before I placed my order all I ever heard here was "USO's the shit this and USO's the shit that" never a bad word about them, now I place my order and bam, a 2 page thread of complaints. Great, just my luck. I don't mind waiting a reasonable amount of time, but 2x the quoted times is not reasonable, and 3x is absurd. I guess I'll wait till what I feel is a reasonable amout of time and if I don't have my glass by then, I'll cash out and get yet another Leupold MKIV.

This is all very disappointing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest watching the "For Sales" if your in for one of these scopes, they pop up frequently.

I would imagine the reason for that is within the build time frame, ones life can change completely, for instance, in the build time frame, you could find out that your wife is pregnant, your baby is born, drivers education, and college all starts. </div></div>

What are the odds of finding one for sale that is exactly the same as what you want to order? I checked the ads for a few weeks and never even found one close enough to make me consider making an offer.

same here, there is one right now but 4 things stop me. color, windage knob, retical, abd the fact that uso is holding alot of my money as a non refundable down payment

I am more than willing to wait 9 months for a USO if thats what it takes to get my grubby paws on one. I want one bad but funds are an issue right now.
frown.gif

Maybe one day soon.

And then you got us guys with the MST-100's... I ordered November 18th 08' and paid in full the end of December. I Don't think I will get to shoot my rifle this year.. Ohh snap! I'm still waiting for that also... LOL

true, but then again uso tells u that they will take at least a year for that particular scope

They are bad ass scopes and worth the wait. They just need to get their estimated lead times to be accurate. Maybe they need some help.

The wait time with USO has changed over the years a few times. I can recall at some time years ago where 9 months was what was common and some had to wait longer, I think they were a smaller operation then.
I ordered an SN3 in 2006 and received the scope in 3 weeks, I was hoping it would take longer as I had to scramble in order to pay the balance due. I have an MST-100 on order right now, according to my invoice I have the order was made on July 3, 2008. I expect it to be a while longer before I see the scope, but I also expect it to take a couple more months for the rifle to be finished at GAP as well. The whole firearms industry is buried in orders due to the results from the Nov. elections. Many of the big manufacturers can't keep up to the demand right now, the small custom operations are even worse in that regard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">true, but then again uso tells u that they will take at least a year for that particular scope </div></div>

Last I talked to them... I was told "probably" around June and June is here so we'll see

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wait time with USO has changed over the years a few times. I can recall at some time years ago where 9 months was what was common and some had to wait longer, I think they were a smaller operation then.
I ordered an SN3 in 2006 and received the scope in 3 weeks, I was hoping it would take longer as I had to scramble in order to pay the balance due. I have an MST-100 on order right now, according to my invoice I have the order was made on July 3, 2008. I expect it to be a while longer before I see the scope, but I also expect it to take a couple more months for the rifle to be finished at GAP as well. The whole firearms industry is buried in orders due to the results from the Nov. elections. Many of the big manufacturers can't keep up to the demand right now, the small custom operations are even worse in that regard. </div></div>

+1 ! Everything is backed up... George told me 8-10 weeks for my spec build (i supplied all the parts) , I'm at week 14... But it is agreed that these companies should have accurate time frames and better comminucation. They know how many man hours it takes to build the rifles and scopes.. and then how many employees are doing the building, and then how many orders... and then , and then, ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">true, but then again uso tells u that they will take at least a year for that particular scope </div></div>

Last I talked to them... I was told "probably" around June and June is here so we'll see </div></div>

I know what you mean.... I for one am gettin a bit tired of it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im going on 9 months for a repair. its on the way as of a phone call today.

</div></div>

6 month's </div></div>

Damn, makes my friends experiences with IOR look good. Then again, he had two scopes fail back to back, doubt USO's have that problem...

-pd

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I ordered my USO almost 12 weeks ago and was quoted a 12 week build. I'm not holding my breath though. Luckly I have some time on my hands and won't be back home until mid-July anyway. I am still hoping it arrive soon though. I have paid in full so now it's just a waiting game.

I was quoted 16 weeks. I've gotten them faster than quoted before so will just ride it out. The bigger culprit is the person that wants a scope delaying their decision for whatever the reason then deciding they want it yesterday and are unhappy when their custom scope has to be built to their specs. Granted there are some isolated cases where other issues arise but for the vast majority of the bitchers this is the root cause.

Be glad that USO is thriving and receiving big orders from governments. It just lends strength to the company, something I want when plopping down big chunks of cash for something.

true, but dont tell some one one time, and when that time is up tell them nothing. that is poor customer support. if u cant keep up with where the orders are and being able to track them for the customer so the builders dont have to be stopped when ever this question is asked, u need to look into doing something about it

Tell you what s.i.t. - you run your business the way you want and people will choose to do business with you or not. I do not make a habit of trying to tell companies how to run theirs. If I don't like the way they run it then I go elsewhere.

Why don't you just quit your whinin', cancel your order, and move the rest of ours up one spot while you go buy something off the shelf somewhere. Seems to be the most amicable solution, rather than having you respond with the same bitch over and over again in this thread. You are sounding a lot like this guy:

milton.jpg

here comes another one of these immature pricks again. if you were holding 50% of my scopes build money and constantly telling me that it will be 4 weeks over and over again im gonna start to wonder. why are u even bitching to me in my thread? it seems to me that u all ready have one. go play with someone elses threads and leave mine alone.this one was disigned to see if john was watching what people were saying about what the constant pushing back of dates was doing to his customers and try to fix it. excuse me for not having the money to just throw around on a 2800 dollar item. some of us have to work hard for what little we have

Yea, that is you, an immature prick all right.

Unless you have great experience in supply chain management and manufacturing in a custom precision boutique industry, I suggest you vote with your dollars and STFU with all this advice about how USO should do business.

A good friend of mine does, and I hear the horror stories they go through. He's spent half the year so far in China trying to get a supplier of theirs to actually produce what they committed they would produce and ship before Christmas 2008.

s.i.t. - master of whining and that is about all.

It comforts me to know that somewhere out there a LE or soldier has his USO scope that his life depends upon while s.i.t. sits on the internet and whines that his latest toy has been delayed.

(This message coming to you that has waited almost 7 months for a custom pistol build and never once got peeved over the time it took to get done. Got it yesterday, it was done right, and it runs great.)

I wish I could make it easier for you, but I have no pull there.

I can tell you this....
I am waiting on a USO as we speak and I am willing to wait.
I can not be more pleased with my USO scopes to date, and have had my share of disappointments with a few non-USO scopes.

I am glad USO is doing well, and it is a good sign that they are not just flooding the assembly line with bodies to churn out scopes. I would prefer they maintain quality and take the time needed to accomplish this.

I remind myself that my money is going to a company that wants to produce a quality product for-profit. This is certainly easier to take than the much larger portion of my income that is going to failed businesses via my Uncle.
laugh.gif

I hope you get yours first, I will await mine.

i hear ya ralf, and i am awaiting mine. my grief right now is the asshole like nine that have to rag out u little people cause the think there better than everyone. please, i have to deal with enough of them at work. this thread wasnt pointed at anyone in particular nor is it gonna slow own us optics production or am i here to tell them how to run there buisness, this was here to see what other people were going through to remind myself and others that were not alone. makes me feel better. but also nine, put yourself in johns shoes. u log on the hide and see some upset people cause there products which u quoted a certain time limit on is gonna take longer than antisapated. u know that answering each and every phone call and trying to go out onto the assembly line to find each product takes time and man power and slows down production, so what would u do? u seem to be smarter than i am, tell me how u would handle all this and how would u make your customers happy again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hear ya ralf, and i am awaiting mine. my grief right now is the asshole like nine that have to rag out u little people cause the think there better than everyone. please, i have to deal with enough of them at work. this thread wasnt pointed at anyone in particular nor is it gonna slow own us optics production or am i here to tell them how to run there buisness, this was here to see what other people were going through to remind myself and others that were not alone. makes me feel better. but also nine, put yourself in johns shoes. u log on the hide and see some upset people cause there products which u quoted a certain time limit on is gonna take longer than antisapated. u know that answering each and every phone call and trying to go out onto the assembly line to find each product takes time and man power and slows down production, so what would u do? u seem to be smarter than i am, tell me how u would handle all this and how would u make your customers happy again?</div></div>

is this a multiple choice question ? Seriously. Kia you can by ass is, but ferraris and masseratti are hand made.any difference

You guys got into it while I was slowly typing my reply.
I think you should straighten it out, but that's your deal.

9H is a great guy whom I trust and who has helped many people here on the board. I have a very high opinion of him as I do of a great many people here.

I agree with him that we should not gripe about delivery performance when talking custom scopes from a specialized manufacturer. High end stuff takes time in cars, guns, and other gear.

I was chided a few years back for griping about a Sightron S3 I was less than impressed with. Had to ship it back 2-3 times before they finally just gave me my money back. That was the straw that sent my camel sniffing around the USO tent.

The wait is what it is. I would rather have a great scope than daily updates on a POS scope that I won't be happy with anyway.

My company is behind on production, and we are slow to handle the emergency requests from customers that we normally handle immediately. Right now we are pretty stressed about it, but it is what it is. My newest employee has been with us for over 5 years, and I cannot train them to the level I want...quickly enough to fix the immediate problem. I also don't want to be expanding quickly in this market, it is too unpredictable.

I would say that the gun market is damned unpredictable these days.......and I am glad I am not in that business. I don't envy USO, but they have earned my respect, over and over.

True, but no offence to john, Ferrari delivers on time or they'll refund u some of your money

Listen up SIT.... I have waited many months for my USO scopes. I dont mind the wait because I know Im getting a quality build the FIRST time. I have owned 18 USO scopes in my day and still currently have 14. I waited for each and everyone except one of them that I got off a member here on the hide. Would you rather go pick something up in a store and it break a couple months down the road or would you rather wait that extra couple weeks for a scope that you will probably never have a problem with.

I know USO is slow and god forbid you have to wait longer then everyone else but just give them some more time and cool your jets a bit. Everyone at USO is trying their hardest to build scopes AND get a new East coast store up and running. John has better things to do then get on the internet and fart around.

Like I said earlier its been a lot longer on my repair then on your build. I have a fixed 17x SN3 that I wanted to convert to variable power. Jeff said no problem send it in and we will get it done. Well that was going on 9 months ago! How many times have I called? 3 times..... today made 3 and he said we are ready for payment and its on the way back to you.

They have the best customer service of any firearm related company in the world. They CARE about their customers! In the firearms industry everyone is under some sort of delay, remember this: if a manufacturer tells you a time frame, add another month. I never take what a custom builder says seriously, they will quote you that to get your business. And they know you will wait because they have half your money and are always "almost done, one more week".

Get used to it bro!

I dont think its the long wait that bothers SIT, I think its the date that keeps getting pushed back without any communication from USO until he calls them.

I too would be pissed. If a date changes more than once or twice, something isnt right and needs to be fixed on USO's end.

I would be unhappy too. I am impatient though. Hopefully USO gets caught up soon. They are definitely one of my favorite optics and just so great to deal with. They are just slammed apparently.

I have a 3.8x22x44 you can have in 3-4 days......pm for details.

Build times for everything is WAY out of wack. I'm sitting on exactly 50 weeks for some rifle builds with all parts supplied at a big smith. Was told about 1 1/2 months ago that they were starting the builds then.

To think of everything that has happened in the world during those 50 weeks. The economy blew up. The concept of investment banks is gone. GM and Chry. filed for bankruptcy, and the taxpayers now own a most of those companies. Obama was elected president. The Heller decision came down. And yet, I can't get a couple of rifles built.

I'll easily give up some accuracy just have my guns back in 3 months (or even 6 months). Never again....and once my guns are built, they had better shoot lights out!

My point exactly. If getting this thing built takes this long the there better not be a thing wrong with it