• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Static is making me crazy!!!

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    I have got to figure out a way to keep static from killing my production with my V3. I have it on an antistatic Matt, and have the little ground wire. I can't get through charging 25 cases without static making me stop and messing up the scale. There's got to be a way to do this???

Is the static coming from you? Perhaps standing on an anti static mat and/or a grounding band for you is needed.
    Examples, I'm sure there are less expensive mats out there:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Mats-CSE-3660-Dissipative-Anti-Fatigue/dp/B00EQC732Q

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grounding-Alligator-RTK-002-Detachable/dp/B004N8ZQKY

Is your home older ?
    Many older houses are not grounded with the now common 6 foot copper rod driven into the earth with a bare copper wire to the main electrical panel.
    If so your ground wire does nothing.
    Hey, sorry, it's the first thing that popped into my head and it is worth checking.

Is your home older ?
    Many older houses are not grounded with the now common 6 foot copper rod driven into the earth with a bare copper wire to the main electrical panel.
    If so your ground wire does nothing.
    Hey, sorry, it's the first thing that popped into my head and it is worth checking.
    I have a ground rod, and it's a pretty good ground at the panel.

Is the static coming from you? Perhaps standing on an anti static mat and/or a grounding band for you is needed.
    Examples, I'm sure there are less expensive mats out there:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Mats-CSE-3660-Dissipative-Anti-Fatigue/dp/B00EQC732Q

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grounding-Alligator-RTK-002-Detachable/dp/B004N8ZQKY
    Possibly. I don't really know. It just starts popping up on the scale and is very hard to get rid of. I've tried staying away but that doesn't have any immediate effect anyway.

So untill you get personal grounding straps, antistatic mat and ozone machine?

Take off one shoe and sock.

What issue exactly are you running into?
    I will start charging after letting my scale warm up for a while. Everything is good, until I charge maybe 10-15 cases , or sometimes it's less sometimes more. Then my scale starts creeping in the negative. Sometimes I can get rid of it by wiping everything down with a wet paper towel but most of the time I have to wait for it to go away, and that can take anywhere from a ew minutes to 10 min. It totally screws up charging my cases.

So untill you get personal grounding straps, antistatic mat and ozone machine?

Take off one shoe and sock.
    Will that help, just going barefoot or is the one shoe and sock needed? It happens when I have what I use as my house shoes and don't have socks on but I am rarely barefoot in my loading room. I am fine with that if it works though

Your chair, clothing, heater the list is endless. Anti static lotion,
    It rubs it in or gets the hose.

Try the bare foot test.

One or both feet doesn't matter you will drain static from everything you touch to the floor.

Touching that mat under your scale should help.

It's dry here today, I'm shooting blue arks about an inch if I don't drain down.

If the scale sets on rubber feet the mat may not help much. That insulated gap needs closed / connected.

Send us a picture of your set up.

I had a lot of esd training maybe I can help.

They make wrist straps (that get in the way) and ankle / shoe straps that dont much bother you.

One or both feet doesn't matter you will drain static from everything you touch to the floor.

Touching that mat under your scale should help.

It's dry here today, I'm shooting blue arks about an inch if I don't drain down.

If the scale sets on rubber feet the mat may not help much. That insulated gap needs closed / connected.

Send us a picture of your set up.

I had a lot of esd training maybe I can help.

They make wrist straps (that get in the way) and ankle / shoe straps that dont much bother you.
    Yeah I have a wrist strap for it but it did t seem to matter. I will post pics shortly when I get back. 5 min

Don’t reload, so sorry if this doesn’t help, but maybe this spray on a rag or towel? I use it on clothes and the wife uses it in her hair when static is through the roof. It’s flammable though.

Sorry if the suggestion sucks.

Attachments

• 4862F104-BFB6-4F65-A4CF-AEED871EA8F9.jpeg
      4862F104-BFB6-4F65-A4CF-AEED871EA8F9.jpeg
      212.9 KB · Views: 32
    Reactions: lariat
    Don’t reload, so sorry if this doesn’t help, but maybe this spray on a rag or towel? I use it on clothes and the wife uses it in her hair when static is through the roof. It’s flammable though.

Sorry if the suggestion sucks.
    If someone knows a way to apply it that works, I will definitely give it a shot. I am so sick of this. Sometimes it's not as bad as others. I can go pretty fast charging cases and load up a few hundred rounds, but when you have to stop every 5-10 rounds and just wait for it to go away, it turns into a disaster

If your static bench pad is grounded well then the probably rubber feet of the unit is insulating it.

A jumper from unit to ground will fix that and you being grounded will help.

If the unit is choked up and you touch it and ground it should quickly bleed off.

You would think that scales had an official ground connection provided. Especially the more advanced ones for the price.

Why specifically do you think this is a static issue? I’d put the scale on the wood, use a decent power conditioner, and leave the scale on full-time.

If your static bench pad is grounded well then the probably rubber feet of the unit is insulating it.

If the unit is choked up and you touch it and ground it should quickly bleed off.

You would think that scales had an official ground connection provided. Especially the more advanced ones for the price.
    The feet are plastic feet I believe

Reactions: Hardshot

On the back of the scale there's probably somewhere I could clip that alligator clip to the scale itself. You think that would work?

Yes.

Does the manufacturer say anything in the operating instructions or on thier site q&a?

And yes a line conditioner is a good idea. A bbu sometimes has them built in and if nothing else the bbu usualy blows up on a lightning strike saving equipment.

Yes.

Does the manufacturer say anything in the operating instructions or on thier site q&a?

And yes a line conditioner is a good idea. A bbu sometimes has them built in and if nothing else the bbu usualy blows up on a lightning strike saving equipment.
    I have it in a protector strip. Can you suggest a device in particular that will clean it up and reduce the static that I would only plug the V3 into?

Any battery back up unit.
    Something about going through the battery conditions the power.

Not the surge protector only side.

They do sell dedicated power conditioners as well but I dont have one to compare.

Don’t have much to contribute because I haven’t experienced this, throw powder on my granite counter in my kitchen 😂
    Only thing I’ve noticed is the a/c messing with the scale, even leaving the back door open today made it drift a good bit

Reactions: Snuby642
    Any battery back up unit.
    Something about going through the battery conditions the power.

Not the surge protector only side.

They do sell dedicated power conditioners as well but I dont have one to compare.
    Can you give me an example or a specific unit?

I just don't want to get one and then figure out that "it doesn't go through the battery first " or I could have gotten a better one, or too many plugs make it not as effective ect...

I just don't want to get one and then figure out that "it doesn't go through the battery first " or I could have gotten a better one, or too many plugs make it not as effective ect...
    Any APC or CyberPower brand unit that your local Costco caries should be fine. They main thing to look for is "AVR"; automatic voltage regulation. Then pay attention to the particular socket you are plugging the scale into, some are surge only not battery and surge.

Any APC or CyberPower brand unit that your local Costco caries should be fine. They main thing to look for is "AVR"; automatic voltage regulation. Then pay attention to the particular socket you are plugging the scale into, some are surge only not battery and surge.
    Ok. I will get one on the way. I guess I will have to get it and use it to find out if that is what's causing the static huh?

I know that it's me sometimes, but there's also static that is there not due to me so hopefully this will help it.

I appreciate the help everyone. This is about to drive me nuts

Fighting the same thing with my funnel... Dryer sheet works on the dispenser but not so much on the funnel (MKM).

Don’t have much to contribute because I haven’t experienced this, throw powder on my granite counter in my kitchen 😂
    Only thing I’ve noticed is the a/c messing with the scale, even leaving the back door open today made it drift a good bit
    Ya buddy ac, cealing fan temperature variations and one that drove me nuts, vibrations too small to feel but could see in a glass of water.

Reactions: never_summer
    When I first had mine I used the factory top piece and never had any issues. After buying the clear 419 unit I had massive static issues. Used dryer sheets and glass cleaner on it and got it to function normally. I have a video somewhere that if the factory top was on it would read 0 but as soon as the 419 cover went on it would read higher and constantly bounce a few tenths.
    Hope you get it sorted.

When I first had mine I used the factory top piece and never had any issues. After buying the clear 419 unit I had massive static issues. Used dryer sheets and glass cleaner on it and got it to function normally. I have a video somewhere that if the factory top was on it would read 0 but as soon as the 419 cover went on it would read higher and constantly bounce a few tenths.
    Hope you get it sorted.

Same. Spraying it with static guard and wiping it up with a towel fixed it.

I’ve tried it all. Mat, power conditioner, grounding, wiping it down, drier sheet trick, wrist grounder, closing the door to my office and shutting off the vents, ensuring level….

It never got rid of that +/- swing. If I leave my scale on it will just gradually creep up or down over the course of an hour or two. It’s pretty frustrating for sure, because I constantly have to zero out the scale.

I’ve tried it all. Mat, power conditioner, grounding, wiping it down, drier sheet trick, wrist grounder, closing the door to my office and shutting off the vents, ensuring level….

It never got rid of that +/- swing. If I leave my scale on it will just gradually creep up or down over the course of an hour or two. It’s pretty frustrating for sure, because I constantly have to zero out the scale.
    Mine seems like it will sit at zero all day long until I start to run the software with the app. Some days it will run decent with only a few times having to zero it out and other days it seems like a constant aggravation..

Mine seems like it will sit at zero all day long until I start to run the software with the app. Some days it will run decent with only a few times having to zero it out and other days it seems like a constant aggravation..
    Yeah mine will sit there on zero too but after I start running it, the static starts at some point