• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel setup

Mooncake

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
Central Mountains, CO
Put in some work today building a target 1800yds downrange. Had to hump a lot of heavy objects a ways up a steep hill but it’ll be worth it. I decided not to leave the ‘T1000’ on the plate so I’ll have a little hike before I can shoot. Saw a nice mulie buck on the ridgeline.

30”Dx1/4”T AR500 plate on some conduit wired across 8’ T posts. A buddy with a lot of experience suggested the firehose to hang it and gave me a couple pieces. The other piece suspends a 20” plate on a similar frame at 1000yds.

Anyone else have a photo of their target setup?
1D8E0589-D6D9-453E-A7CE-A42233F5608E.jpeg
33759B56-145D-4532-BBF0-C32C5CC4E582.jpeg

Reactions: sandwarrior
Where did you get that 30" plate?

Purchased set of angled brackets for $23 a set, used some old 1" pipe, a larger diameter pipe for the middle support over the 1"(for the weight), fire hose and some carriage bolts. Made several racks up and they work great, good movement.

IMG_8121.jpg

That nice, new black steel in the first post now has some impacts on it, my first hits beyond a mile (or anywhere near a mile really). The tone was loud and unmistakable, despite the distance. I was shooting my MRAD in 338LM, unsuppressed (because it takes the government 6 months to figure out that I'm ok despite the dozen suppressors I already own). My older neighbor came out on his quad to investigate, not only because the rifle was so loud but the steel too! He thought we were shooting a bell lol. He said "we heard the shot and then four or five seconds later a bell ringing". My wife and boys could also hear the steel ring from the house, which is another 1100yds from my shooting position. Neighbor's house is a couple hundred yards farther than that.

Impacts were not a mystery. JC's 1/4 inch steel is nice stuff.

What did you use to hold the conduit onto the tpost? looks like you made a bracket thingy

I picked up a few of these from tractor supply, put them in my vice and curved them upwards with taps from a small sledgehammer. The grip onto the spine of the Tpost. I slid the conduit thru the firehose loop (so I didn’t have to dick with getting the bolt thru the hose afield which is a pita) rested it on the cradles I made, and bailing wired it into place.

We sent a shit ton of 308 rounds at the identically constructed target at 1000yds the day before and after two direct hits to the same area of the conduit it failed. Bent, sagged but still supported the 20” plate. I replaced it though. I’m going to get lengths of rebar long enough to thru the span of conduit. That should deal with impacts better. Or I could start hitting the target more consistently lol.