• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner 5-25x56

micah7488

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2013
South Texas
Instead of hi-jacking the other Steiner thread, I figured it would be best to just start my own.

I've read that the clicks on the Steiner 5-25 aren't as loud or tactile compared to other optic manufacturers or even other optics from Steiner. Is there anything in the works of changing this on the 5-25 model? I am hoping to pick one up relatively soon, but would wait if it meant getting these changes in the optic I purchase. Lastly, are there any Hide optics vendors that keep the Steiner 5-25x56 MSR in stock, and who would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Apparently there's a new series of clickers coming out that solve this 'problem'. It bothered me when I had mine at first but I don't notice it now. It's certainly nothing to deter you from purchasing. I would buy again as is.

I just bought one with an MSR and I too was worried about the turrets after reading some comments, but I can tell you there is nothing to worry about. They must have fixed the problem because mine are very firm and tactile. I was hesitant spending so much on a scope that I had not seen in person, but I can tell you that I could not be happier with my purchase and I doubt that you will have any regrets.

I just got mine today.
I don't see or feel a problem with the clicks.
The scope is very nice mechanically... it feels like a more precise instrument than the S&B PMII I used to have.
No tunneling, either, a true 5-25x!

CameraLand has open box MSRs for $2500 shipped, which I jumped on.
Maybe a new one comes with plastic wrap on the box (mine did not) but mine sure looks, feels, and performs like new.

I have one immediate criticism, though... the reticle is a bit thick in the center.
I read somewhere that it is the minimum thickness that could be illuminated, but the S&B P4f was illuminated and thinner.

Hopefully the rain holds off for a bit tomorrow so I can zero it.

Joe

No issue with my turrets. I bought my scope a few months ago from CameralandNY. Great deal and experience. Highly recommended. They also have a demo model for cheaper.

Scudzuki if you have an issue with setting the zero stop pm me, don't follow the directions though they aren't even close. When I talked to the Steiner rep they stated the directions are for the other scopes not the 5-25.

The zero is dead simple: Loosen the three turret cap screws. Rotate the elevation turret to zero. Tighten the screws back. Done!

My only issue with the clicks is that they aren't as audible as some of the other brands. The clicks are solid and not spongy at all.

I got mine from Scott at Liberty Optics and have nothing but good things to say about the scope and Scott.

Instead of hi-jacking the other Steiner thread, I figured it would be best to just start my own.

Lastly, are there any Hide optics vendors that keep the Steiner 5-25x56 MSR in stock, and who would you guys recommend?

Call Doug at Cameraland NY, tell him you are a Hide guy, he took excellent care of me.

I've read that the clicks on the Steiner 5-25 aren't as loud or tactile compared to other optic manufacturers or even other optics from Steiner. Is there anything in the works of changing this on the 5-25 model? I am hoping to pick one up relatively soon, but would wait if it meant getting these changes in the optic I purchase. Lastly, are there any Hide optics vendors that keep the Steiner 5-25x56 MSR in stock, and who would you guys recommend?

Thanks

We've got some in stock. Give us a call or drop us a pm.
-Chris

I am leaving for vacation tomorrow but I just had to get the Steiner zeroed.
They are forecasting large storms here today.
It was overcast and clearly looking to rain but I packed up and headed up to the range; I would be ready to pull the trigger at 9 when it opened.
On the way it started raining.

I got my targets out and setup in the light to medium rain.
They were these plastic-y shoot-n-see style targets that I hoped would hold up in the rain.
Since I was in a hurry I setup the first target at 50 yards and 4 more at 100.
First shot at 50 in light rain was 1.5 mil low and .3 mil left.

2 shots later, bullseye at 50.

Dropped my elevation .3 and shot out at 100, and now the rain is picking up, but there's practically no wind.
First shot .1 mil low. Then the monsoon kicked in and my shots dropped another couple tenths but dead nuts for windage.
Played with the illumination a little, still preferred it without... even though it had gotten very dark the image was plenty bright and the reticle sharp.

Fired off 10 more each 6.5 Nosler 140 gr Custom Comps with 42.3 gr H4350 and 44 gr H4831.
At this point I'm getting wet as the wind is blowing rain into the range house and the objective is quite wet as well as the steaming barrel. Turns out rain can help keep the barrel cool during sustained firing. Good to know.

Won't have time to take it out to 400 before I go but I have something to look forward to when I get back.

Joe

I'll try to answer as many of these questions as possible.

The turret clicks HAVE been changed. They are now more tactile and audible. All of the scopes we have brought in for 2013 have this new turret including all of the 3x-15x scopes.

We are thinning out the center section of the MSR reticle as well. I hope to have more details on this very soon.

The following retailers have the 5x scopes in stock and are ready to ship. Hopefully I didn't leave anyone out. If I did I apologize.

CS Tactical
Liberty Optics
Sport Optics
Camera Land

The turrets only have 2 set screws and yes the current manual is incorrect on setting the zero stop. The manual states that you should pull up on the turret after loosening the set screws. This causes some confusion because the turret should NOT be removed on the 5x scopes but is ok on the 4x scopes. As was stated earlier simply loosen the 2 screws a half turn, turn to zero, re-tighten the screws and you're done. If you happen to pull the turret off and you find that the turret isn't functioning correctly please call our customer service line and they will walk you through the process to correctly reinstall the turret.

We (Steiner USA) have rewritten the manual and it is currently being printed. I will post a link to the pdf version of the new manual as soon as it is available.

If you have any additional questions just post it in this thread and I'll get back to you. Love to see the positive remarks!

Thank you for the response.
I saw you mention the new turret in the other thread, but I was not sure if that was solely for the 3-15 or across the board, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ugh!
How do I get my 5-25 refitted with the thin-centered MSR?
It's my only complaint, and a small one.
This scope is damn near perfect otherwise.

Joe

Ugh!
How do I get my 5-25 refitted with the thin-centered MSR?
It's my only complaint, and a small one.
This scope is damn near perfect otherwise.

Joe

yes what he said. and the different clicks. thanks

I've already looked into the retrofit of the turrets for you guys in anticipation of this request. The answer is yes we will be able to do that for you guys. I'm trying to put together all of the details for that and if I can I would like to be able to do this at no charge. I will keep you informed. At this point it's looking pretty good and I hope to have good news for you soon.

I'm looking into the MSR reticle modifications and I will let you all know what I find out when I hear back.

Outstanding! But how would I find out if my scope has the more audible clicks already or not? Serial #? They seem fine to me now, but I wouldn't know since I haven't heard both. I'm more interested in the reticle mod anyway.

I bought a 5x25 a few months back. I love the scope as is, but would also be interested in these up-grades. Looking forward to seeing the updated reticle.

I just ended up getting my Steiner in the mail today from Sport Optics, great company to do business with by the way.

The only issue I am having is trying to take the illumination screw cap off. Does it take a great ton of force? I have done a couple attempts but have stopped short of really trying for fear of destroying some part of my new optic.

Mine took a lot of torque to remove the battery cover but it eventually came off without destroying the illumination dial.

I lightly greased the o-ring before I reinstalled the cap and did not install it with 100 ft. lbs. of torque and it comes off easily now.

Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I've had a few that were a bear to get off too. If you damage anything trying to get it off just let me know and we'll take care of you. I know some of those are pretty tight.

I was able to get it off finally, just ended up using a slip joint plier with the towel wrapped around the knob to not damage the cap. The other issue I have is the battery is dead. Are CR2450 and CR2450N batteries interchangeable in the optic? I emailed tech support but they had no clue, and my google-fu hasn't led me to any answers on what the difference might be, if any.

Dealing the Steiner customer service today was great. I just received my 5-25x56 in the mail yesterday from a hide member who was also a pleasure to deal with. Anyway, none of the paperwork was in the box with scope, which didn't really bother me but figured I would at least see if Steiner would send it to me. The only question they asked me was "What is your address?". I know it isn't much but some times its the little things that make a difference.
And yes my scope does have the less audible clicks in it but I still don't see what there is to complain about. It doesn't bother me at all. Also, mine is the G2 Mil Dot and I really like the reticle so far. I still waiting to get my rifle back so I will give a range report once the scope gets some rounds under her belt.

Trust me, you'd know if you have the upgrade or not. Audible is only part of it, the real complaint for me is them being mushy.

Outstanding! But how would I find out if my scope has the more audible clicks already or not? Serial #? They seem fine to me now, but I wouldn't know since I haven't heard both. I'm more interested in the reticle mod anyway.

I use one. I move it around one rifles to other rifles, at this time it sets on a 24" AR 223.

Here is a link to Steiner
179150_540614955981022_699632873_n.jpg

Mike @ CST

Mike,
Who makes that sun shade?

Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Steiner makes their sunshade which is like 60-70 bucks and the ARD which is like ~125$.

I'll be trying out the ARD this weekend if i get my Seekins rings from SWFA in.

I have the ARD and it works quite well. It was hard to tell, but it may take a little bit of the brightness away, but does not affect the clarity at all.

Just a side note, Steiner says it'll accept any accessory that will fit a 58 x .75mm objective lense. In case you're leo or mil you could possibly find a VARS or filter to throw on it instead.

Any truth to the rumor that Steiner is considering a MOA version of this scope?

There's nothing in the works at this time but it's on my wish list. It's a long list. On the bright side there was a conversation today about it.

the lighter clicks do not bother me but if Steiner is going to offer replacement turrets with heavier clicks, i'll hop on board.
but what i am REALLY looking forward to seeing is a thinner reticule at the center cross... similar in size to the S&B p3 fine.... or like the Khales design which seems just about right from pictures posted on the hide.

took mine to the range yesterday and got to zero the scope at 200 yards.
brought it home and zeroed the turrets - losen 2 screws, rotate, tighten them back - simple - as it should be.
mlunted on an integrated 30MOA base on my rifle, i have 21 mil's of up elevation left after i zeroed the turret.
is this about normal?

also, while at thge range, tested the tracking, full up and back following a plumb line... perfect alignment and perfect return to zero.

great riflescope, great value, and with just a few improvements, it could one-up the S&B.

I agree its a great scope and for the price they rock.

Mike CST

if Steiner is going to offer replacement turrets with heavier clicks, i'll hop on board.
but what i am REALLY looking forward to seeing is a thinner reticule at the center cross... similar in size to the S&B p3 fine.... or like the Khales design which seems just about right from pictures posted on the hide.

MSR vs P4F hairlines, MSR is 0.59" thicker@1000 meters.
Standard Steiner/S&B MSR hairline is also 0.39" thicker at 1000m than MSR/K.

Last edited: