• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Steiner C35 Clip On

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
Just received 10 of these and I am really impressed so far. Will shoot it this weekend but highlights are
1. All aluminum housing like the other Steiners. Very robust unit in an ocean of plastic commercial stuff.
2. I had a lunch with steiner last fall when this was in development and gave them some advice on the mount. They listened! 1.5 inch height and a strong lever mechanism....like a dbal mount on steroids. Balances perfect under the unit.
3. Great image quality @4x and menu full vis at that range. This thing will satisfy on a lpvo.
4. MAP on this bad boy is $3999....for a 640! At that price would make an excellent second clip on for a smaller rifle if you can accept the weight would a fantastic clip-on/ spotter combo. I don't expect our inventory to last long.

Fyi....I installed the vortex flip cap....they ship with a tethered cap.
20220511_193525.jpg
20220511_193545.jpg
20220511_193606.jpg

@4x. Distance to VADER is like 5 yds but just displaying pixelation level at 4x

20220511_195506.jpg

Last edited:
I was told by Steiner the 2+ pound S35 is only rated up to 308 semi auto (800g shock). What's the point of a heavy all metal thermal if that's all it can take?

This is in comparison to the lighter Iray Rico that is rated to 300 win/7mm mag (over 1000g) which also has a longer warranty period (steiner only has two year warranty).

Reactions: aslrookie
I was told by Steiner the 2+ pound S35 is only rated up to 308 semi auto (800g shock). What's the point of a heavy all metal thermal if that's all it can take?

This is in comparison to the lighter Iray Rico that is rated to 300 win/7mm mag (over 1000g) which also has a longer warranty period (steiner only has two year warranty).
I would take recoil ratings on commercial products with a grain of salt. Very often they have thrown darts at a board. They just dont have the bandwidth to conduct legitimate recoil testing at different levels. That's one way they keep these costs insanely low.
I believe the measure of hardiness of a product goes far beyond recoil ratings. So many of our customers throw a rifle in the back of a side by side and drive down the bumpy ranch roads. We've been renting thermals out for years here at our shop so we've seen the benefits of stronger beefier housings first hand.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I would take recoil ratings on commercial products with a grain of salt. Very often they have thrown darts at a board. They just dont have the bandwidth to conduct legitimate recoil testing at different levels. That's one way they keep these costs insanely low.
I believe the measure of hardiness of a product goes far beyond recoil ratings. So many of our customers throw a rifle in the back of a side by side and drive down the bumpy ranch roads. We've been renting thermals out for years here at our shop so we've seen the benefits of stronger beefier housings first hand.
My concern is a warranty could be voided and then blamed on recoil, regardless of the actual reason. Not specifically with Steiner but any comparable thermal. Seems it would be hard to debate with them. Just a thought.

My concern is a warranty could be voided and then blamed on recoil, regardless of the actual reason. Not specifically with Steiner but any comparable thermal. Seems it would be hard to debate with them. Just a thought.
Well, they would have to prove recoil caused the issue. That's tough to do. Shock can be caused by all sorts of things. Typically on a thermal device recoil limitations are seen through power loss/interruption. For example you shoot and the device reboots or shuts off. Sometimes displays will present with dead pixels that can usually be eliminated simply with a NUC or a factory reflash. Analog NV limitations are seen through far more costly and permanent outcomes like electrical arcing/ black spots.

Any idea on country of origin? That shit will be in my mailbox before you can finish sneezing if it wasn't made by child slaves in the land of plenty.

Steiner took great pains to conceal country of origin. It’s not anywhere on the device (unless hidden beneath the rail mount), nowhere on the packaging, and nowhere in the documentation. I think we all jump to a similar conclusion that by trying so hard to conceal country of origin it screams “Chynah!!!!”

That said, I assumed the sensor would be iRay, but it may be the Flir Boson 12um because it has the traditional funky Iron, etc Flir color pallettes.

The C35 is a serious — BRICK — of a unit. 35 ounces with funky 18650 “B” 3.7v battery (standard 18650’s will NOT fit, but Steiner includes one of the “B” types and a charger. Sadly, the battery arrived dead and needed to be charged. That said, it comes with a cable to run off an external USB Anker, and that works fine).

DF42BDFB-4B05-4F6E-A723-EA228A0C8623.jpeg

A00E6870-9B9C-436A-BE39-B26510686B83.jpeg
73EEE11B-FFF3-41B3-8089-5FE5ED24595E.jpeg

67D51D83-BF1F-4D56-BCC6-FAF71425E40E.jpeg

Oof, Chinese?? Steiner hit a new low 🙃
We assume that. It’s not known at all. In the US you are supposed to mark country of origin on anything not made in the US.

Steiner is one of the few companies to have the actual capacity to make this unit in the US (Greeley) and the FLIR core makes it even more likely.