• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Steiner M7Xi Scope with Solver

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Hakan Spuhr posted this today

28872896_10157263510149408_7785664784210281786_n.jpg

Ballistic Solver as part of the scope

More and more

http://www.steiner.de/en/riflescopes/m7xi-ifs-4-28x56

Steiner sets the new standard for sniper riflescopes by entering the digital world. Based on the outstanding success of the M5Xi - used today by Special Forces around the globe - Steiner sets a new benchmark with the ultimate long-range riflescope M7Xi IFS 4-28x56 with a 7x zoom and an impressive field of view (1.42-9 m at 100 m).

The Intelligent Firing Solution with integrated customizable display always provides all the important information in real time to the operator. The built in Ballistic Calculator and Sensor Suite determines the bullet point of impact in real time (temperature, air pressure, inclination, wind drift). Just turn the turrets until the distance and wind correction in the display matches the information provided by the spotter and you will be on target.

The display provides information about leveling and the current turret setting. Display and user interface can be customized to user needs. Every information can be moved freely or can be deactivated if needed via smartphone app (Bluetooth connection).

The new M7Xi IFS 4-28x56 has been designed to resist the toughest conditions, it is of course covered by the Steiner 10 years warranty for optical parts and 2 years for electronics.

From their website

Reactions: GeoffatBurris
    These are likely to be WAAAY outta my price range, but I'm interested to hear how they stack up compared to the Revic.

There's a bit of info on www.Steiner-Defense.com.

This is a German/Euro announcement, not a US one, and I think they wanted to announce it for a show today.

The big unveil is next week at IWA. I saw a rough draft of a video showing the heads-up display. That video should be ready for release by IWA.
    You really need to see through the reticle in order to get a sense of what it is.

What we're talking about is four new scopes in the M-Series. There's the "plain" 1-8x, and the 4-28x. Both very nice evolutions of the M-Series.
    Then, the same two scopes sizes with the IFS attached. Obviously that's where the excitement will be focused. It's a ton of customizable info in the reticle. All handled with a phone app (although a hard wired version is planned for military use).

They're saying 3rd Quarter availability in Europe. We do not have estimated dates or prices for US yet.

Link to a newsletter sent out this morning, but honestly, wait a week or two for better info.
    https://mailchi.mp/steiner-optics/the-steiner-m7xi-and-m8xi-intelligent-firing-solution?e=7596fb1cf8

-Geoff
    Burris and Steiner web stuff.

Interesting developments. The M8Xi looks like a fairly compact scope, but I wonder why they put those ginormous turrets on it. G2B reticle seems to be the only choice for now, but perhaps that will change when these come to US.

M5Xi was due for an update, so I am happy to see Steiner pushing forward.

ILya

To clarify, I was talking about M8Xi. According to the press release, M8Xi will have G2B reticle, while M7Xi will have several options: MSR, MSR2, G2B, TReMoR3.

It sounds like Steiner is following S&B with reticle strategy: if you want a Christmas tree reticle, your only option is a Horus. That sorta leaves a bunch of us who do not like Horus reticles in the dust.

I do like MSR2, so perhaps that will be the one to try.

ILya

Reactions: MJ Aucoin
    To clarify, I was talking about M8Xi.

It's remotely possible I didn't read your post, or the press releases, all that closely :)

Reticle design and strategy is this amazing combination of science, art and fashion, with a ton of compromise. The really neat thing about being a reticle designer must be the absolute knowledge that no matter what you do, no one will be totally happy. Which, come to think of it, is a tiny bit like it is when I do work for my wife.

Reactions: Tono
    Lots of good stuff happening in the long range shooting game right now! Excited to see where all this innovation leads.

This looks cool.

However, I have to ask, wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper to simply make a stand alone device that you can bring with any rifle/optic combo?

I think the MSRP is 1999.99 so you should be able to mount it to the John Hancock and be good to go for PRS production class.

Hahaha, I kid.

Cool idea and I'm sure a great scope coming from Steiner.

It's remotely possible I didn't read your post, or the press releases, all that closely :)

Reticle design and strategy is this amazing combination of science, art and fashion, with a ton of compromise. The really neat thing about being a reticle designer must be the absolute knowledge that no matter what you do, no one will be totally happy. Which, come to think of it, is a tiny bit like it is when I do work for my wife.

So it states that they have new low profile turrets, which certainly looks to be the case. Do you know if they have refined the glass coatings at all?

So it states that they have new low profile turrets, which certainly looks to be the case. Do you know if they have refined the glass coatings at all?

Where do you see a low profile turret? Perhaps it is a photography issue, but those turrets look like saucers.
    If they have a new low profile turret, they should really consider putting one onto the M8Xi.

ILya

Reactions: Bender

Geoff, I think you should know by now that there are two types of reticle designs out there:

1) designs I like (that seemingly noone else likes)
    2) horrible misguided design efforts put on this Earth exclusively to torture the uninitiated and provide cannon fodder for opinionated arrogant jackasses (here is me looking in the mirror)

All the joking aside, the reason I am asking is that I have been looking at a variety of 1-8x designs and plan to look at as many of these as I can get my hands on. I seem to be really leaning toward a reticle similar to the one Nightforce's FC-DM or Minox' MR10+ as the better options.

ILya

The non-IFS version is even interesting. I love the magnification range, but agree that another Christmas-tree reticle option would be nice.

Nice looking scope, I'm interested. If Steiner manages to recreate the image quality
    or better that they had in the older 16X and don't screw up the reticles this could be a hit especially if its priced below its competition.

Last edited:
    Looks super left hand friendly... I wonder if it actually gets in the way of the bolt or clear.

Last edited:
    Last edited:
    If it does not work, you can always hit him with it (Said in Boris the Blade voice)
    One of my favorite lines from the movie Snatch!

Reactions: JL
    I see the words, but the pictures do not seem to corroborate that.

Geoff, would you be willing to look into that if we ask ever so nicely?

It does say "low" not "small". The problem here is that "low" doesn't really mean anything, and we're operating with a trnaslated document. When we start prepping for a US launch, I'll try to get a better descriptive term for the turrets.

Video from IWA on the "Intelligent Firing Solution"

At the Steiner booth at IWA (European SHOTShow-lke event), they had this interesting display set up to give people an idea of what looking thru the new scope will be like.

And again: all European/German at this point. US marketing teams haven't even seen it yet. I'm sharing with you guys, because you like to be in the vanguard, and because information is global even when distribution isn't.

I'm more interested in the updates to the M5Xi--->M7Xi. I wonder if the turrets feel better, if the glass is better, if the DOF is greater, and if it still has a great eyebox.

Just another not so useful firing solution. Will work for limited LR work tough
    Solution is limited to turret travel only. So limited to some perhaps, but +20mrad should still take most to all distances I think.
    Note also that it is fast to use. As soon as wind magnitude and direction is set, one can simply keep windage turret on zero and aim for wind. HUD shows required horizontal mils and updates solution each time elevation turret (range) is changed.

I'm more interested in the updates to the M5Xi--->M7Xi. I wonder if the turrets feel better, if the glass is better, if the DOF is greater, and if it still has a great eyebox.

M7Xi is shorter. No tunneling except very small effect when going from 4.2x or so to bottom 4x.
    All large ratio scopes have more or less sensitive eyebox, didn't see/feel any particular problem with Steiner.
    Clean and nice image as excepted, but naturally proper test would require outdoor benchmarking, test charts and reference scopes.

M7Xi turret vid from Finnaccuracy facebook pages. Crisp and audible too:

Last edited:
    Solution is limited to turret travel only. So limited to some perhaps, but +20mrad should still take most to all distances I think.
    Note also that it is fast to use. As soon as wind magnitude and direction is set, one can simply keep windage turret on zero and aim for wind. HUD shows required horizontal mils and updates solution each time elevation turret (range) is changed.
    Still not buying it for serious LR work. Has a market with some but not for us accuracy nuts.

Still not buying it for serious LR work. Has a market with some but not for us accuracy nuts.
    Interesting point of view, as IFS is particularly a product designed for serious LR accuracy. Don't know about nuts tho..
    But, each will naturally go with system that feels best.

Last edited:
    Hmmm...with the ability to load ballistic profiles from a smart phone, I wonder if this might be a viable solution for switch barrel rifles. If you know the offset between barrels (and could account for them in the software profile), it would seem this (or Revic) would be perfect for those trying to stay with one platform and many barrels. Just thinking out loud here....

Last edited:
    Reactions: 1badbarrel
    I recall IFS can store 10 profiles.
    Also from memory which is not anymore what it used to be : Zero offsets can be saved for each profile, no need to use external application as long as profiles are already stored to internal memory. Sight compensates zero offsets automatically in firing solution when profile is changed from IFS internal menu.
    This is pretty handy with not only switchbarrels, but also when jumping between OTM/AP/API/Subsonic ammunition in fly.

Last edited:
    If systems like this end up being faster than existing methods , then it’s useful progress .
    In a 2 man scenario , with non shooter feeding target data into scope maybe . Operating
    solo , familiarity with rifle and load is hard to beat .
    Wonder whose solver is onboard .

Reactions: LastShot300
    Interesting point of view, as IFS is particularly a product designed for serious LR accuracy. Don't know about nuts tho..
    But, each will naturally go with system that feels best.
    Well, if you say so...time will tell so no need to worry about.

Found this looking for more info on the non Ifs M7xi. Finn accuracy has them up on their site for pre- order and the prices look to be similar to the M5xi.

Reactions: GeoffatBurris
    Bandit31: That's Alberto Corbetta! I hadnt' seen this video, so thanks for sharing. Alberto worked in the Greeley Colorado office for a couple of years, but now works in marketing for Beyreuth. Great guy.

The non-IFS M7xi is currently scheduled for US release in late August, September. Let's just call it Fall.

-Geoff from Burris/Steiner