• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 - SCR Riflescope

I could not get a straight answer from Steiner about the warranty. They only said the warranty was for current production items. So I would hate to get something and then not have a way to get it repaired.

I could not get a straight answer from Steiner about the warranty. They only said the warranty was for current production items. So I would hate to get something and then not have a way to get it repaired.

Not only will they warranty ALL Steiner products no matter how old or discontinued (forever warranty), they upgrade to next best available product if they cant fix it...

Ive had old steiner binos that broke and they sent a BNIB set that was 10x better than the old set I had. Def no worries with Steiner Warranty.

Win Win for sure.

GL
DT

Not only will they warranty ALL Steiner products no matter how old or discontinued (forever warranty), they upgrade to next best available product if they cant fix it...

Ive had old steiner binos that broke and they sent a BNIB set that was 10x better than the old set I had. Def no worries with Steiner Warranty.

Win Win for sure.

GL
DT
I echo D_T's post here, years ago I had a set of Steiner Military Marine 8x30's that I bought used, I took them on a flight and after I got off noticed something was seriously wrong with the image, not sure what happened on the flight to cause it but I decided to contact Steiner and told them I did not have a receipt, they said to send them in and they'll take a look and make a determination so I did, a couple weeks later I had a brand new set of Steiner 8x30's at my door, no charge.

I have one and have been trying to get steiner customer service on the phone and in emails for 3 weeks with no luck, suddenly selling my vortex for this does not seem like such a good idea

I have one and have been trying to get steiner customer service on the phone and in emails for 3 weeks with no luck, suddenly selling my vortex for this does not seem like such a good idea
Please call me so I can assist you with whatever it is you're trying to reach Steiner about

Reactions: Task Unit Bruiser
Please call me so I can assist you with whatever it is you're trying to reach Steiner about

Mostly simple stuff like what they recommend cleaning the lens with, and is their an anti fog I can put on it ? But today I took it out and wow a lot of CA, almost blinding, didn’t have that the last two times I had it out, how do I fix it ?

Mostly simple stuff like what they recommend cleaning the lens with, and is their an anti fog I can put on it ? But today I took it out and wow a lot of CA, almost blinding, didn’t have that the last two times I had it out, how do I fix it ?
You don't "fix" CA, it is an optical aberration that all lens designs have, but some control it better than others. Most likely the conditions you are looking at today are exacerbating the situation which may be why you did not see it before. Also, you might want to check your diopter settings, improper settings can cause the scope to not perform its best optically. I would recommend fine tuning your diopter and seeing if you can't get it under better control.

I ordered this scope from Doug before Christmas. It was my present from the wife and kids. I have had it out at the range a couple times. Once on a cold rainy day at daylight and it was great out to 500. The misty haze was to thick to shoot further that day. I bought it for the rifle I keep handy to shoot coyotes and ride around the farm with. I like the reticle. It’s great for quick acquisition on low power especially with the illumination on.

Surprising. Every single time I’ve ever called I always get someone.

Just got my scope in. Seems to be really nice and robust. Haven’t had a chance to really view anything yet. The Vortex Defender scope caps fit nicely if anyone is considering these.

Attachments

• DAE6102A-CB3A-4F3F-84E8-5CE3D0D0CA32.jpeg
    DAE6102A-CB3A-4F3F-84E8-5CE3D0D0CA32.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 85EDC132-42D9-4FF4-8FFE-01D4D2305490.jpeg
    85EDC132-42D9-4FF4-8FFE-01D4D2305490.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 0B0D1B21-A8A8-4AE1-93EA-044AA6CA240C.jpeg
    0B0D1B21-A8A8-4AE1-93EA-044AA6CA240C.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 88
Well I got my scope in today and it is exactly what I was looking for. The glass fits my eyes very well and the turrets are not to stiff or to soft just right. Came with a battery installed and an extra one. It's not a bright sunny day but not cloudy either and on the top setting the lighted reticle also looks great. As soon as I cane get it to the range I will give a report. Also not as heavy as it looks and for my hunting rifle set up just fits my needs.
To the guys who advised me to go ahead and get it Thanks!

Reactions: robeast2000
Well I got my scope in today and it is exactly what I was looking for. The glass fits my eyes very well and the turrets are not to stiff or to soft just right. Came with a battery installed and an extra one. It's not a bright sunny day but not cloudy either and on the top setting the lighted reticle also looks great. As soon as I cane get it to the range I will give a report. Also not as heavy as it looks and for my hunting rifle set up just fits my needs.
To the guys who advised me to go ahead and get it Thanks!
Glad you liked it.

I’m pretty stoked. I just did a side by side comparison against my PM II as the sun was setting. I looked against the eastern side of a western hill so it was in the shadow. I was really surprised that the Steiner looked brighter and more clear in the low light condition. The eye box is less forgiving though. The SB is obviouslya nicer scope but the Steiner is pretty impressive so far considering it’s 1/3 the cost. I Haven’t had a chance to mount or shoot it yet. I’ll see if I can get some pics tomorrow through my phone.

I did get to look through it at low light when I got home from work. And all I can say is WOW. For the money and the scope it is what I have been looking for. The clarity of the scope at dark was excellent. I could see 75 to 100 yards, limited to the neighborhood, with only limited lighting. I could still see and identify items with no problem. Now in the field will be different I know but compared to Minox 5-25 and Kahles 5-25 this scope is right on par. Hope to get to the range today or tomorrow and I will give a little better evaluation.

I bought one used from a friend of mine to go on my 308. I've had the Steiner Military 4-16 so this scope is fairly similar. I like it overall so far, the turrets are pretty tight, but I expect that to loosen with use. The reticle to me is ok, I prefer an open center, and I'm finding it a bit difficult to measure windage Mark's but I figure it will take some getting use to.

Overall for the price I payed it's a very good value. I payed the same price for a 4-16 Viper PST gen1 sfp back in the day and this scope is light years ahead of that.

I may look for another one to put on my M1A SM in the future.

Glass is very good with no noticeable CA (to me), even in very bright conditions. The parallax is forgiving and focuses easily.

Got my vortex covers and they fit great. The only thing I would like to have next is a throw lever.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
Just got mine in from CL. A lot of scope for the money. Only things missing I wish it had were a throw lever and caps but it seems like guys have found some reasonably priced ones on the market. The best thing about this scope to me is the glass and how it maintains it's clarity edge to edge through the entire power range. No milkiness or CA I can speak of.

I haven't mounted it yet but I spent a good 10 minutes looking at my neighbors houses holding it up by hand. I'm still waiting for rings since I've never had a scope with a 34mm tube. I had an Athlon Ares BTR before this and the Steiner blows it out of the water in every aspect save for the reticle illumination. I don't think they went overly bright on this one like the 1-4x more than likely because you won't be kicking in doors with it and going from bright to dark settings in an instant. It would have helped to have brighter illumination at 4x though.

As far as the turrets, they are stiff but then I prefer stiffer turrets. They are very tactile and audible enough for my liking. Definitely produces defined clicks.

Last edited:
For those that have used both , how does the Steiner compare to the Brownells MPO?, I know they differ in magnification and reticle, I'm interested in the usual comparisons, tracking, clarity, turret feel etc...!
Thanks!

I have not used the Brownells scope but I recently just picked up a PX4i 4-16 off the PX here, and I love it. The reticle is by far my favorite. It’s extremely clear glass for the money. I doubt you would be disappointed.
For reference, it sits on my SPR style AR. With the 56mm obj and illuminated reticle it’s perfect for shooting on the farm around sundown and for the occasional coyote hunting

Got my Steiner 4-16 today from @gr8fuldoug. Slapped it on my 22...cranked to 16power and lay down..and wow. Large forgiving eyebox, and extremely 'good' glass. Ocular adjustment was perfect right out of the box. Turned parallex knob to focus target...perfectly parallex free. After struggling continuously with my last 6 Athlon Ares btr and ETR and A nightforce nxs to remove parralex and adjust the ocular(in reverse order of course)...this was extremely painless. Im assuming the 4x erector vs the 6x in the Athlons and Nightforce made a difference. Turrets are really stiff..not my preference, but at least they wont turn accidently. Cant wait to spend more time behind it.

Has anyone outfitted their P4xi with scope caps and/or a throw lever? I'm considering starting with a MK machining lever and some Aadland caps to start. If anyone has any secrets that might help a guy who is searching, let me know.

Has anyone outfitted their P4xi with scope caps and/or a throw lever? I'm considering starting with a MK machining lever and some Aadland caps to start. If anyone has any secrets that might help a guy who is searching, let me know.

I have the MKM polymer throw lever on mine and I really like it. The magnification knob on the PX4i is honestly an easy knob to turn but the throw lever makes it even easier. I can adjust mine while on the scope. I put mine so it sits vertical at 7 power which is where i like to stay. Left to go down, right to up, all while looking on target through the scope.

I only have an objective cap right now. My Vortex Defender cap made for 56mm obj works perfect. Love those caps for the money.

Attachments

• EB3D3B31-DBD3-4B0B-A2BE-991123E9F9FA.jpeg
    EB3D3B31-DBD3-4B0B-A2BE-991123E9F9FA.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 130
I have the MKM polymer throw lever on mine and I really like it. The magnification knob on the PX4i is honestly an easy knob to turn but the throw lever makes it even easier. I can adjust mine while on the scope. I put mine so it sits vertical at 7 power which is where i like to stay. Left to go down, right to up, all while looking on target through the scope.

I only have an objective cap right now. My Vortex Defender cap made for 56mm obj works perfect. Love those caps for the money.
The throw lever looks good. Did the ocular cap not work? If it did, I'd probably just go with the Vortex caps at the moment. I've got to spend my money elsewhere at the moment but I really don't like leaving my lenses uncapped.

Well this was sort of a hodgepodge mix of caps and what not. The ocular piece is from my razor gen 2 and it’s still on that, but I went from the 4.5-27 to the 3-18 so I didn’t need the 56mm cap anymore.

I can check tomorrow to see if the ocular piece off my razor will fit the Steiner as well.

Reactions: jconPNW
I checked today. turns out I just fitted a small Butler Creek objective cap onto the ocular side of my Razor....so I can't help you with the defender one. That being said, the Steiner ocular piece seems to be almost the the same size, close enough that in my opinion, the defender cap would probably work. You can always just put a piece of tape on the inside to tighten it up a bit.

Hope this helps lol

Reactions: jconPNW
How does the Steiner p4xi 4-16x56 compare to a nikon black f1000 4-16x50?

I currently have a bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18x44 I am looking to replace (tight eyebox on the bushnell). I have a athlon midas tac 4-16 that I like much better than the bushnell and like everything about the athlon better but the reticle (that center dot is way to small).

Is the Steiner reticle as thin as the athlon midas tac? Is the eyebox better on the Steiner than on the bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18x44?

No experience with the Nikon but here are the strengths of the Steiner at it's pricepoint: forgiving eyebox and good eye relief. It's easy to get a good picture through most of the magnification range, turrets are very tactile and audible, reticle is simple and very thin, above all the glass is VERY clear. I could not personally imagine better glass under $1k out there. Last bonus is it's made in USA so you're paying workers here to put it all together.
The negatives in my opinion are: the turrets seem overly stiff, moreso than necessary. Also, the turret mechanisms are not able to be worked on/repaired at home. Case in point, I had a turret issue and had no choice but to send it to Steiner. I just got back my replacement - the elevation color indicator/window on my replacement is slightly off. There is no clear way for me to fix it and I'm not going to send it in again over such a small issue. I still think it's worth the $799 without a doubt. It's not a $2,500 Nightforce but it's doesn't fall majorly short either.

I went to buy one of these and noticed that the price increased. Sorta disappointing...

This increase on a discontinued optic pushed me to a different brand.

I went to buy one of these and noticed that the price increased. Sorta disappointing...

This increase on a discontinued optic pushed me to a different brand.
It's only a Twenty dollar increase! And that's on just the mount. The scope is still 800. You get a fine USA made scope with an excellent mount for 889. You can always sell the mount of move it to an AR. Or buy just the scope.

This has been my favorite scope so far. Granted this was after several scopes in the 600 to 800 dollar price range. The Steiner is regularly more. The forgiving eyebox and eye relief and excellent glass impressed me every time I looked thru it. The turrets did seem overly stiff at first but once I got used to it I forgot about it and I started liking them. The only deal breaker for me was the 50m minimum focus. I had it on a 22lr and at 50yds punching paper I couldn't quite get a focus. For a centerfire rifle it is still an excellent buy.

The optic was $799. They're $849 now. That's a $50 increase.
Yes, when we first obtained these scopes we were at $899.99, then lowered the price twice, once to $849.99 and then lower still to only $799.99. We adjusted the price to $849.99 recently and quite honestly at $849.99 it is still an amazing deal on a scope with German optics assembled in Colorado.
This scope originally was $1,149.99 and at $849.99, IMO, it is a great buy on a well reviewed scope

Even at $849, you would be hard pressed to find scopes that boast the same features. USA constructed, 34mm tube, 56mm objective, mid magnification range with top quality German Schott glass, and rugged build quality. Although I had an issue with my first turret, Steiner took care of the issue promptly and I have to admit that really I like the concept of the color change window for the turret revolution indicator. This is a very similar concept to their previous Military series scopes. The turrets don't lock but trust me you don't need them to, they won't budge.

I have both P4Xi and Gen 1 Razor. Prefer the P4Xi. Better turrets, less CA, better distortion control, brighter image, better in low light, and I like the SCR reticle much more than the EBR-2B.