• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 04

batman292

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2011
Colorado
Does anyone know anything about this rifle and how the shoot? also are there many aftermarket items for them? i can find to much on it

Re: Steyr SSG 04

I have SSG 08's. Same as the 04, in a way more expensive stock.

Great, accurate rifles, awesome barrels. Sub MOA with match ammo (test target for each rifle provided) , 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with handloads.

No aftermarket anything, but magazines.

Not much of a following in this country.

Reactions: Voyager1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zacg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it worth the price?
</div></div>

I have 3 Steyr bolt rifles, and to me they were all worth the price.

That said, I have other rifles which shoot just as well, that cost less than 1/2 as much.

If you are looking for the best rifle for the least money, get a Remington 5R.
If you want something a little more exotic and European, don't hesitate to get a Steyr.

I have had a Steyr tactical and now have a SSG 04, I don't think you can go wrong with a steyr, I love them, will probably buy more in the future.

Very good rifle. I have 3 Steyrs, SSG 69 P1, P2 & P4(not the 04) like them very much. But I think 04 is a better buy right now. Because the price is still below 2k, and it has better stock and rail options.

Held it at a gun fair in Austria and wasn't impressed. While there is no doubt it will shoot great (to me) it's a step back from SSG69 series. But of course that is completely subjective view which has nothing to do with quality of end product. Still as for price/performance i'd say it's not worth it especially since i think they will be pretty expensive in US due to customs/currency ratios.

I'd rather buy SSG69 and those are still being sold here on used market and can be had for decent price however i think modern rifles (US custom rem700 based or Howas/Tikkas) are a better option and unless you really really want Steyr it's better to look elsewhere (Sako or AI if looking for factory "military" sniper).

I had a chance to shoot one of the SSG-04 and I shoot a 20 rounds box of Lapua 167 grain match into a 55 mm group at 300 meters. I think it's very good group the rifle is very comfortable to shoot I would only ask myself if the barrel is threaded or pressed into the action for future replacements.
Overall if it was available here I would have bought one.
Good Luck

is it worth the price?
Worth is subjective..... I have the SSG 69 P4. IMHO
If you can ever find one, GRAB IT....they are a bit nostalgia, very collectible and extremely unique and very robust and accurate....The SSG 69 P4 was NATO’s first sniper rifle.

is it worth the price?

Attachments

• D2AA93E6-3EA0-435B-9E3A-168CDC774AFF.jpeg
    D2AA93E6-3EA0-435B-9E3A-168CDC774AFF.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 37
Worth is subjective..... I have the SSG 69 P4. IMHO
If you can ever find one, GRAB IT....they are a bit nostalgia, very collectible and extremely unique and very robust and accurate....The SSG 69 P4 was NATO’s first sniper rifle.

He has likely made his decision by now.

All post-SSG 69 Steyr rifles are threaded to action, not press fit. That was from Steyr directly when I asked.