• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69 opinions.

coyotehunter223

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jun 23, 2011
Unadilla, GA
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find any info. I have the opportunity to pic up a Steyr SSG 69 PII 308 for what seems like a very good price. What is your guys thoughts on these rifles. I hear they are very accurate but what about reliability and durability? I read of issues with the trigger guard/mag well cracking is this a prominent problem? I will hopefully see the gun in person Wednesday evening. I just want to be sure that if for some reason I don't like the design of the rifle due to loving a Rem 700 so much that I will be able to turn it around and build a Remington.

Re: Steyr SSG 69 opinions.

I had an older 1987 made SSG69 and it was an outstanding rifle. Mine was suppressed by Bruce Bixler of SCRC and had the original 6 power Kahles scope. Within the limitations of the scope it was quite and outstanding rifle. Mine had the double triggers. Unset the pull was about 3.5 lb and set it was 11oz. I really liked it and had no problems with the bottom metal or any of that. The magazines are or were the problem. The are plastic and some versions tended to crack. My original 5rd mag did crack and quit functioning but I ended up with a couple 10rd mags that were not the clear crap plastic, they were reinforced with some sort of fiber and did not break. All in all I think I would have kept the rifle if I hadn't bought a Desert Tactical SRS.

Frank

I replaced the tupperware stock with a McMillan and am a happy camper with that modification. I had a 5 round mag fall apart in my hand and there was no way to fix it. The 10 round mags are better madesd biffj stated. If you chose to use Steyr rings, they are very expensive. You can however go with a picatinny base for your scope mounting and use regular rings. I have owned my SSG-69 for over 20+ years. Pete Athens can get you mags and other parts for this rifle.

Thanks for the input. I will keep these ideas and contacts in mind should I pick this rifle up. I will see it Wednesday hopefully.

If there was a better bottom metal/mag solution I would own now! They have one of my favorite actions, strong super smooth and well made! And the same goes for the single triggers. They are not too complicated and have a very crisp and precise feel. I LOVE the barreled action, but the stcok all be it comfortable its just too flimsy.

I have had a couple P1 models and they are very nice rifles. I did have a magwell crack but it was easily replaced and the rifle still functioned with the cracked magwell.

I have not had a magazine fail yet but I do watch them and keep them clean.

I own 2. one shoots a ragged hole at 100
and the other I just got and have not put my US Optics on it yet. I have had the first one 24 years without incident.