• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    Did a search, didn't find anything. I won a Steyr SSG 69 on Rock Island Auction today. Did some reading about it on various websites, just wondering if anybody has one and what your thoughts were. It come with the factory rings that appear to be 1", it has an old Bushnell scope that I'll change out and probably put my Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15X42 on it. Ironically it's currently on my Steyr Zephyr II. Here are both Steyrs.

Attachments

• s.PNG
      s.PNG
      580.6 KB · Views: 343
    • 0929181144a.jpg
      0929181144a.jpg
      541.2 KB · Views: 341
    Don't own one but have done some shooting with them... light weight and accurate. The trigger guard is a weak point, prone to cracking.

Years ago I had the P11K version with the 20" barrel and loved it.I really liked the magazines, they reminded me of a 10/22 mag for 308.It was a tack driver and I agree about the trigger guard, mine never had a problem but I could never understand why it was not aluminum.

This is good to hear. I read about the possibility of the trigger guard breaking. When you guys test the accuracy of a centerfire what is the general procedure for comparison to others? For example, is 3 shot groups acceptable, 5 shot or a combination of something? Is 100 yards the standard distance?

For rifles I mainly shoot rimfire. When I test for accuracy with those I normally shoot ten 5-shot groups.

I think most would agree that shooting 5 shot groups is the minimum...10 shot groups garners better data. I usually use a Harris S with a Pod Lock or if I am really trying to eliminate me as a factor, a machine rest and heavy rear bag like a Protektor DR bag.View attachment 7100741
    This is 5 Berger 105 Hybrids out of my GAP 6MM creedmoor at 100 yards on a B8 repair center...just a baseline zero distance as a starting point.View attachment 7100741

Last edited:
    That SSG will drive tacks...in other words it will shoot to the ability of the operator. Check out the Optics PX...both the Kahles scopes for that rifle are up there for sale...a 6x ZF69 and a 10x ZF84

Reactions: silentheart
    I have owned a few PII versions (large bolt handle, two stage not the set trigger, heavy 24” barrel I think, black stock) and all were shooters. I love the triggers except the shoe is a little narrow, but an excellent trigger. Plus they have rear locking lugs like a Remington 788, which is said to have more accuracy potential but harder to make. As said the trigger guards can and will crack, as do the plastic rotary magazines. The stocks are not that robust but get the job done, McMillan offers an after market stock which is a nice upgrade. There were some aluminum after market bottom metal assemblies out there that took AICS mags I think. Pay attention when installing the trigger guard as there is a plastic guide for the magazine that needs to be fit into a recess in the trigger guard, you will see if your looking for it.

Congrats on the rifle they are shooters!

Thanks again. I got to looking around and found two items I will probably be getting pending how the rifle really looks and shoots. They address both my concerns. These are from Steyr-arms.com website. That rail will let me attach my Kahles 6-24X56. It is shown here on my Anschutz 17 LP in 17 HMR. That would be more proportionate anyway plus I didn't really want to take the smaller Vortex off the Zephyr II. I just hope the SSG shoots good. Another question, remember, I shoot 99% of the time my rimfire guns, but why do I read so much negativity when I search out the 308 round?

I've got a SSG69P1 with the set trigger but it's mostly been in the safe the last 5 years. I shot it for a bit and had mixed results but I was pretty green back then.

The rifle was made in 1982 and stock ended up cracking so I fixed it with epoxy. It really needs a new stock but I can't convince myself to drop the coin for unknown gains.

Maybe this thread will motivate me to give it another shot now that I'm a capable shooter.

I look forward to hearing how yours does. I'll try to take mine out this weekend. I'll post an update if I do.

Reactions: Bigrederic
    One of my main shops has an SSG69 with the Kahles scope. I’m always tempted when I go in there. It’s a really cool rifle but these days it’s really just a nostalgia play (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I believe the SSG69 is still the sniper rifle for several countries. I love the look of them and the ZF69 and 84's are beautiful glass. I had the opportunity to buy a fully set up one all original with spare mag for $2500 a few years back but couldn't afford it. Gutted now as a battered ZF69 goes for $800 ZF84 for $1200 and rifle for $3500 now (AUD$). ☹️

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but I figured it wouldn't hurt. First off, unless you count an AR-15 I have never had a high power rifle. Closest I have come is a XP-100 in 7BR from my IHMSA days. Anyway, I got to reading about the .308 and for every positive article I read there were 5 negatives. Why the hate for the .308? I mean, I know what I have read but just curious about what you guys have to say about it.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but I figured it wouldn't hurt. First off, unless you count an AR-15 I have never had a high power rifle. Closest I have come is a XP-100 in 7BR from my IHMSA days. Anyway, I got to reading about the .308 and for every positive article I read there were 5 negatives. Why the hate for the .308? I mean, I know what I have read but just curious about what you guys have to say about it.
    The hate probably comes from it being THE round that everybody touted for so long as the greatest. Then all the mods come along and 6mm's, 6.5mms and 7mm's all have way higher BC's and better bullets in general. And in competitions they all have less recoil too. Yet, the .308 fan base hangs on like it's still the greatest. Which wouldn't be so bad if they'd acknowledge what is true and what isn't.

The stupid thing is it boils down to science. A bullet diameter is just a diameter. Within the parameters of that diameter, attached to a given power charge (case size), you can "massage" a bullet to as aerodynamic as it's external components will allow. (barrel twist, case size to propel it at adequate speeds).

So, the problem is really to get the .308 diameter bullet on par with the 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm, it needs a more aerodynamic shape and more weight, so it needs a bigger powder charge. Enter the .300WM, but then you get people focusing on power and not bullet efficiency.

FWIW, yes you had high power with those two rounds/firearms. The 7mm BR flat out rocks! And the .308 is still a quite capable round. Like all hate, it wouldn't exist if people would open their eyes and see what can be done to make it better. The better class of bullets in .308 make it more relevant.

Last edited:
    sandwarrior,

Thank you so much for that excellent answer to my question. My intentions have been to get a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5CM. Now, since winning this Steyr SSG 69 I will at least try it to see how it shoots. Hopefully it will shoot well and I will live happily ever after.

I found some ammo Fed GM308M with the 168 Matchking BTHP; bought 40 rounds for $33.98, if I don't like it for whatever reason I'll just sell it. I'm pretty sure I can make money according to what I have been seeing on GB. If there is another factory load I should try please let me know.

I really liked the 7mm BR. It was extremely accurate and not real picky about anything I loaded for it. I wish I had never sold it even though I got out of IHMSA.

sandwarrior,

Thank you so much for that excellent answer to my question. My intentions have been to get a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5CM. Now, since winning this Steyr SSG 69 I will at least try it to see how it shoots. Hopefully it will shoot well and I will live happily ever after.

I found some ammo Fed GM308M with the 168 Matchking BTHP; bought 40 rounds for $33.98, if I don't like it for whatever reason I'll just sell it. I'm pretty sure I can make money according to what I have been seeing on GB. If there is another factory load I should try please let me know.

I really liked the 7mm BR. It was extremely accurate and not real picky about anything I loaded for it. I wish I had never sold it even though I got out of IHMSA.
    I think you'll be happy as a pig in shit! ? ? And, I really do mean that in the best way. It's historic, but relevant. With newer bullets you can reach quite a ways with it, It won't be as flat shooting, but with heavier bullets it helps with drift on the longer shots,

On the 168 gr. BTHP's,. They were probably the most specific bullet that caused so much hate on the .308. Something so simple as a slight change in boat-tail angle is what really hurt the .308's reputation. The steeper angle, combined with "usually" less twist (1-12") caused a stability disruption when reaching the transonic range (bullet reducing in speed to the speed of sound).

Contrary to popular belief/hater myth/ and other unexplained phenomena, the 168 BTHP does not fall out of the sky, it just has a larger stability disruption, The disruption is caused by the sonic boom catching up the bullet. The bullet re-settles but not on the same path. The longer it takes to settle, the wider the accuracy cone beyond disruption.

It's still spinning so gyroscopic energy is still going to re-stabilize it. FWIW, ALL bullets are disrupted at this stage. Depending on the BC, weight and rotation of the bullet (barrel twist and velocity) some bullets will go through this farther out. Some seem untouched. as they restabilize quickly. Others may go radically unstable. The term we use for never restabilizing. Again, they don't fall out of the air, but accuracy goes all to hell past the transonic. I don't know what twist the SSG69 has, but I do know 168BTHP's are good to 800m from it in most conditions. Probably better in high density altitude. My recomendation is the 175SMK or 178 BTHP (Hornady) and Ber. 175 VLD for really long range, or even just 1k.

But, yeah, I think you'll really like this rifle.

sandwarrior,

Those 168 FGMMs will treat you just fine.

168 in my experience seems to be a little tighter over short/medium distance but 175 will provide you a little weight assist at longer ranges.

The haters will tell you 168s hit a wall when they go transonic and fall right out of the sky.

They may get wonky, they may not. A lot of variables.

If you got 40 rounds for $34 you didnt do bad on pricing.

Shoot the rifle, shoot the ammo, have fun with your new gear.

Thanks guys, you all are fantastic and very encouraging. When the rifle gets here I'll shoot the Federals then if that don't work I'll get 20 rounds each of what you guys recommend.

The 190 SMK's are apparently very stable through transition. I had very good results with Lapua 170gn FMJ Lapuas. But I think there's gotta be a good reason the US military went up to 175gn.

The 190 SMK's are apparently very stable through transition. I had very good results with Lapua 170gn FMJ Lapuas. But I think there's gotta be a good reason the US military went up to 175gn.

There is good reason....

It holds wind better and it transitions better through trans-sonic.

Depending on where you are 1100-1200 yards wouldnt be out of the question.

Up to about 800 yards 168s should be solid and you may get more depending on your location/weather.

168s are sweet in the short to mid range distances.

Most shooters consider 200 a "long range".

168s work fantastic and up to about 300 yards, when I shoot them, they seem to edge out the 175s on tighter groups.

To the OP.....if your rifle wont shoot those 168 FGMMs your rifle is broke.

If you find you like them @Bdomar on here has the best price around for cases of 168 FGMM.

I switched to 175 FGMM because I do shoot out to 1000 on occasion and because its a rare treat I want every advantage I can get.

Shoot those 168s, if you desire more get a box of 175 FGMM and the 185 Jug FGMM. The only way you will get better .308 ammo is a tailored reload.

Get us a range report when you get your rifle.

I predict little clover leafs.

I wonder if the SSG 69 is throated to handle a 190... OP, the 69 actually stands for the year 1969. Someplace in the deep recesses of my memory I seem to remember my shooting buddy trying 190s (Old Norma Match if I remember correctly) and the projectile jammed the lands. 168s and 175s should shoot fine with the 1/12 twist.

In reality, because of my location my furthest distance to shoot will probably be no more than 300 yards.

I thought that CDNN had the SSG 69 PII in stock...they were the last of the new ones, model was retired in 2015. Your favorite firearms auction sites should have used SSG 69 rifles.

Reactions: 98Vandal
    Gun Broker is probably your best bet. For fun I just checked Gun Auction and Guns International and GA had none and GI had two. That's what come up with a search, GI is a hard site to navigate.

Reactions: 98Vandal
    I ask the question because I've always wanted one of these and am still looking for one to put in the collection. Additionally, in my attempt to get as Period/Era Specific, I wanted to have an optic that was representative of the period when it was initially adopted by the Austrian Army (as far as I can tell it was the late 1960s). Anyone have recommendations there?

You will need to find a ZF 69 6x... one just sold in the optics PX. Go to the optics px and buy the kahles zf84 10x that rwsnyder is selling if is still there. It was one of the authorized SSG69 scopes but later than initial issue. You won’t find a cheaper one.

It is still listed on the optics PX...as of the date/time of this post it is on the third page...seller is rwsnydergunsmithing...Rob has several scopes for sale, including the Kahles ZF84.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Well, that got screwed up.

Where's the best place to get a SSG 69?

They are around, I have one I never shoot that I may be interested in parting with, has factory 30mm rings with a Vortex 6x24 FFP HSLR, a 5rnd and new in box 10rnd mag.

Attachments

• SSG69.3.jpg
      SSG69.3.jpg
      257.9 KB · Views: 168
    Reactions: aam
    Well, that got screwed up.

Yes, both those work, one takes me to the website and other to the scope itself.

It is still listed on the optics PX...as of the date/time of this post it is on the third page...seller is rwsnydergunsmithing...Rob has several scopes for sale, including the Kahles ZF84.
    Thanks Dan M for that post. A lot of good things out there if you just slow down and look around.

Reactions: Dan M
    Got the SSG 69 in the other day. No surprises, looks like the auction photos. When I figure out what scope to put on it I'll get some photos.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Got the SSG 69 in the other day. No surprises, looks like the auction photos. When I figure out what scope to put on it I'll get some photos.
    How stiff is the forend of the stock? Does it easily flex and touch the barrel?