• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69

You were clear. I ask because mine would be great one day and not so much the next and I wondered if sometimes I was flexing the forend into the barrel. Mine didnt come with a bipod swivel so I drilled one and eventually the stock shattered in that region. I thought maybe my stock was just old and brittle but I was probably loading it too much or maybe the factory stock just wasn ment to support a bipod on a single stud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kisssofdeath
The SSG69 is one of the best off hand shooting rifles due to its extremely short locktime.
Simply put, if you pull the triggers at exactly the same time on a SSG69 and Rem700SA/clone side by side the bullet has left the barrel and is in flight before the fireing pin on the 700/clone has hit the primer. You are not even close with a Tubbs Speedlock in the Rem.
The SSG69 is an excellent rifle for bigbore metallic silhouette topped with a LW scope.
If 300m is max range I would use 150gr bullets with mild loads. 2700fps with. 45gr VV N140 behind a Sierra 150gr SBT hunting bullet or 150gr MK will give you "BR accuracy" and 7-8000 rounds barrellife in the SSG69.
I've worn out two SSG69s in off hand comp shooting and much prefer to shoot 150gr compared to the 168 or heavier bullets in this rifle. Less recoil = more points. If I had a SSG69 today I would have tested the Nosler 140gr to reduce recoil even more.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
You were clear. I ask because mine would be great one day and not so much the next and I wondered if sometimes I was flexing the forend into the barrel. Mine didnt come with a bipod swivel so I drilled one and eventually the stock shattered in that region. I thought maybe my stock was just old and brittle but I was probably loading it too much or maybe the factory stock just wasn ment to support a bipod on a single stud.
Here are photos of mine. By the evidence shown on the stock and barrel, looks like at one time the barrel was touching the stock at least in two places; it is floated now though. Mine come with this bipod stud already attached, I just figured it was factory. The stock or trigger guard has no cracks anywhere that I could find. The magazine loads and feeds good. Trigger is fantastic at a consistent 1 lb 2 oz with zero creep and overtravel. The bolt is like soap in the hands slick. (bet ya never heard that one) just made it up lol. Anyway here is what I got, scope I want to use will be here tomorrow, hopefully I can get to a range soon to shoot it.
0722191608.jpg
0722191609.jpg
0722191609a.jpg
0722191609b.jpg
0722191609c.jpg
0722191612.jpg
0722191612b.jpg

Reactions: aam and Dan M
The SSG69 is one of the best off hand shooting rifles due to its extremely short locktime.
Simply put, if you pull the triggers at exactly the same time on a SSG69 and Rem700SA/clone side by side the bullet has left the barrel and is in flight before the fireing pin on the 700/clone has hit the primer. You are not even close with a Tubbs Speedlock in the Rem.
The SSG69 is an excellent rifle for bigbore metallic silhouette topped with a LW scope.
If 300m is max range I would use 150gr bullets with mild loads. 2700fps with. 45gr VV N140 behind a Sierra 150gr SBT hunting bullet or 150gr MK will give you "BR accuracy" and 7-8000 rounds barrellife in the SSG69.
I've worn out two SSG69s in off hand comp shooting and much prefer to shoot 150gr compared to the 168 or heavier bullets in this rifle. Less recoil = more points. If I had a SSG69 today I would have tested the Nosler 140gr to reduce recoil even more.

This is some great information and much appreciated. I have two questions that you or anyone can answer.

1. What torque value are you using on the action bolts?
2. Would this steyr action be a good one to build on if the barrel life is gone? My Lyman borescope shows the barrel looking rough. I cleaned it short of using JB bore paste. The grooves and lands still look sharp though. Just something for me to think about.

Well, I got the scope sighted in at 55 yards, which is what I have in my backyard. Took 4 shots to get it where I wanted and the 5th stacked on the 4th. Only shot 5 times but I'm good to go when I get to a longer range. Enough cannot be said about the trigger, it is very nice.

I did some research on the barrel replacement if needed and it looks like it's a factory job if that's the case. Is this correct or are there other options. Really looking forward to shooting this long range. LOL, my long range is 100 yards.

Good review from 2012 re the SSG69:

The long receiver serves a purpose: with the exception of the 16 inch SSG-PIV, SSG barrels and receivers are not threaded, but rather are press fit into place for a distance of 57mm (2 & 1/4 inches). According to Steyr USA, the receiver is heated and then the barrel is inserted into the receiver using a jig that ensures very precise alignment. This process makes for a very accurate rifle, but has the downside of being very difficult to re-barrel.

So once the barrel burns out (yes, barrels burn out, they don’t typically wear out), you’ll likely have to send the action back to Steyr in Austria. As a practical matter, that means buying a new rifle, since the costs and permits associated with sending it back are prohibitive. Although I’m sure a few intrepid state-side gunsmiths will re-barrel an SSG, I personally know of none. Comments and referrals from anyone with experience in this area would be helpful.

...part of me wants a SSG 69, with a vintage ZF 84 scope (10X) as they are a historic precision rifle.

Yeah, I read that article and every other one I could find. Hopefully it will shoot fantastic. One day next week I hope to get to a range.

My SSG P2 prefers 168 & lighter bullets, anything heavier i may as well shoot a shotgun. The original factory load i used was 168gr Winchester supreme match which was excellent. Tried some 147gr surplus that shot well. Torque on the action bolts is very light due to the trigger guard & trigger insert, around 20in/lb if i remember correctly. I made a few SHCS that fit the trigger guard to get rid of the slotted screws so i could get a good torque reading.

I'm going to make it a point to go to a range next week. I got it sighted in here at my backyard 55 yard range.

Try and find one in Australia at the moment. COVID has sent the price of guns and dogs through the roof!

Try and find one in Australia at the moment. COVID has sent the price of guns and dogs through the roof!

I saw a nice one on used guns asking $2.5K for a PII. I bought mine before Covid for $1500 which I couldn't believe I got in first on! They do come up fairly frequently though but most seem to go for around the $2.5K mark. There was one for $3500 that had 3x 5 round mags a 10 rounder as part of it's kit. Given that the spare mags are $250 each for the 5 rounder and $400 each for a 10 rounder I suppose it puts it at a similar overall cost. I'm itching to shoot mine in PRS once I can afford another couple of mags or perhaps just one 10 rounder. Good luck with your search. Mine's become my favourite rifle. Shoot's insanely tight groups.

I saw the PII a few hours after I posted the comment. I want the PI with the spoon handle. Oh, and for our international friends, Border Collie puppies are being advertised for Aust $5000 to $6000 at the moment.

I saw the PII a few hours after I posted the comment. I want the PI with the spoon handle. Oh, and for our international friends, Border Collie puppies are being advertised for Aust $5000 to $6000 at the moment.
What is with the cost of dogs going through the roof?

What is with the cost of dogs going through the roof?

COVID has stopped people travelling (not to mention one of the few lawful excuses to leave the house was to walk your dog) and their was a rush (literally) in March buying every puppy in sight. Collies were getting silly prices then ($1000 to $1500) then they disappeared off the market as demand outstripped supply. I did see some British Bulldog pups advertised for $8000. They were very ugly puppies.

Needless to say I remain without a SSG and Border Collie!