• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sticky bolt/stuck bolt and other pre repssure signs when supressed 22LR

peaceatwar

Southpaw
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2012
    Maryland
    Greetings all,

I have a savage Mark II TR that didn't come threaded from the factory so I had it threaded/crowned by Tornado Technologies(A very reputable threading shop, wasn't cheap work) for a Silencerco Sparrow.

Since adding the can I get ridiculous over pressure and stuck bolts that I sometimes have to hammer open.

Here is the ammo I've tested both suppressed and unsupressed and in each case when suppressed I would show signs of pressure.

Gemtech Subsonic
    CCI Mini-Mags
    Winchester Subsonic
    CCI Green Tag
    CCI Subsonic

I had done some googling and couldn't come up with much, my smith told me to give the barrel a good cleaning, which I did and it hasn't resolved the issue. I cleaned both the barrel and the chamber.

Any tips? Should I give up on this gun? Contact Savage?

If you chamber a riund and remove without firing does it look ok or squashed/swaged ?

Soundsike the smith shortened the chamber a tad to give you a tighter match style chamber. Perhaps too short.

Maybe I didn't mention this but it's a factory barrel from savage and the chamber has been untouched just barrel threaded.

IT IS NOT THE CAN,. A 22lr with a can does not build that kind of pressure.
    I would make sure the shop you had it threaded at.
    did not remove barrel from action,(sometimes to get barrel into machine it most be done that way).
    best bet now take it to a gunsmith an have headspace checked.
    OP does it do the same without the can.

Your Big Question in the 1st Post .
    ..." Since adding the can I get ridiculous over pressure and stuck bolts that I sometimes have to hammer open ".

All this started the second when You Threaded on a Suppressor and shooting . ?
    -
    How do you over-Pressure with shooting .22 Rimfire ?
    Are you blowing Brass with ( Rim Separation ) or split ?
    Pressure on .22 is very little . Headspace is Rim Thickness of ammo .
    You can shove the .22 Ammo and seat snug into the land/groves and you will not over pressure . A tight match 'taper Cut' Chamber-cut will not over pressure .
    Suppressor on Rimfire = little more Back-pressure . More .22 filth shoved in the Chamber and pushed into the Magazine for more fun cleaning to keep good working function when shooting .

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to ask Tornado if they took the barrel off, and see what happens. I'm also going to go back to work cleaning again.

I only split 1 rim for the most part the pressure I'm seeing is just with a very difficult to maneuver bolt.