• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stippled AI skins ( now with pics )

wcmesa

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Baton rouge , Louisiana
Finnal sat down and stippled my aics skins last night. I'm very happy with the results , did them like I do a glock or sti frame. I will try to get pics up soon.

Re: Stippled AI skins

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!
wink.gif

All kidding aside, I am sure that there are a lot of folks here interested in seeing your results (me included). I have thought about doing this myself as I have done it on PMAGs, Glocks, etc., but I just never got around to it. I was considering only the grip/thumbhole area and a little on the forend area. Is this how you did yours?

Ok sorry it took so long on the pics
url]
bb8af3d6.jpg

7afd731a.jpg

fd652ca7.jpg

06c63ab1.jpg

3706ee09.jpg

My digi camera desided to dem out on me so I had to take the pics with the iPhone.

That is very nice work, mcmesa! The butthook is a nice touch too. I may have a couple hours of stippling to do soon!! It has been a while since I took on a project like that, but seeing your pics I definitely think that is a big improvement over the smooth stock panels on the AICS.

Thanks for getting the pics posted!

Thanks for the kind word everyone. It takes about two hours to do. I under cut the trigger guard a little to give a little more room on the pistol grip. Those are the only two gripes about the AI short pistol grip ( for me anyway ) and slick skin surface.

Any differences in the technique you would use on say a Glock, XD, STI or similar frame surface as opposed to what you did with the AICS Skins? Looks like you used a pretty fine point for the work you did...

It burns a little diff than a glock or sti. It allmost has a waxy feel same principle though. I turned the heat down on the aics and used a 1/8 by 1/16 tip on a snap on butane soldering iron. Be light handed though or the poly will discolor. I'm thinkin of offering this as a service. If you r gonna try it I would suggest taking the skin off the chasis and stipple a little on the inside to get your heat right. I belive it would take a striaght up ADD brain fart to burn through the skin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wcmesa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you r gonna try it I would suggest taking the skin off the chasis and stipple a little on the inside to get your heat right. </div></div>

That's a great tidbit there! I'm thinking about it. I've had good luck with handguns before but I'm a little worried about discoloration and not liking the results.
If I had an extra set of skins I'd have already done then between reading this yesterday and posting this now!

Beautifully thought out, not over done and extremely well executed. A level of work professionals aspire too.

That rates an atta boy of the day award.

No BS
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wcmesa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It burns a little diff than a glock or sti. It allmost has a waxy feel same principle though. I turned the heat down on the aics and used a 1/8 by 1/16 tip on a snap on butane soldering iron. Be light handed though or the poly will discolor. I'm thinkin of offering this as a service. If you r gonna try it I would suggest taking the skin off the chasis and stipple a little on the inside to get your heat right. I belive it would take a striaght up ADD brain fart to burn through the skin. </div></div>

That's exactly what I was looking for. I figured by the nature/feel of the material that it would require a lower heat than something like the STI or a PMAG. Also, great advice on trying it "where it don't show." As for you offering this as a service, I am sure that there are folks out there who'd be interested...particularly given the quality of your work and the fact that nobody is really offering anything along these lines as an upgrade/improvement for the AI stock skins.

Good luck to you and thanks again for all of the information/pics on this project!!!

Lowlight's link is at the bottom of the page, he'd be the best one to ask how to go about offering a service.