• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock / chassis for savage 112 target

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
Looking at getting a savage 112 magnum target single shot in .338 Lapua. Does anyone know of a chassis or aftermarket stock for this rifle. Not impressed with the factory stock.

The Choate tactical is solid and easy on the wallet.

Or this in the PX:

EB3FCB7C-61A3-44F3-B813-EDB0FD8AAA0A.png

Randy Wise set the ELR world record with a 112 magnum target in a accurate rifle system chassis.

Last edited:
This action is different than the standard 112 action. It has 3 action screws and being a single shot.

I ended up getting a HS precision for the 110. I had to put a pillar in the middle for the center bolt, a few other little spacers to make it work and fill in the magwell, but it wasn't a big deal at all. I did take pictures as I did it if anyone else wants to do it, or is intrested in seeing it.

So I am no gunsmith by any means just a hobby guy .
I started by inleting the stock to fit the different contour barrel that I had put on.
This is a Brux heavy varmit 1-9.5 twist.

Once I had it fitting with good clearance in the barrel channel I moved to the action area and started to see what I needed to do to fill in the mag well area. I also had to make a small spacer to go under the front of the trigger guard. Sorry didn't get a picture of that. I knew I had to make a spacer for the front action screw as well and a middle pillar for the center action screw. Since the stock had an aluminum bedding block in it. I used the front action screw and the rear action screw to hold it in place. The center pillar was held in by a random 1/4-28 that I had laying around. After talking with a few guys about what to fill the open area in with, I decided to use Epoxacast 655. We use this at work all the time to make molds and its machinable since its aluminum filled. I used modeling clay to seal up any voids where the action meets the stock. I mixed up the epoxy and poured the cavity full and let it harden up. The next day I pulled the barreled action from the stock cleaned up the clay and rinsed the area with solvent then did a full length bed job using the same Epoxy with cabasil added to thicken it so it wouldn't run. I ended using grade 8 12 point screws to hold the action to the stock. That was about it.

Attachments

• received_505900027001671.jpeg
    received_505900027001671.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 264
  • received_514030475875984.jpeg
    received_514030475875984.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200105_173551.jpg
    20200105_173551.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20200118_202031.jpg
    20200118_202031.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200118_202038.jpg
    20200118_202038.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 20200118_210032.jpg
    20200118_210032.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 20200109_193519.jpg
    20200109_193519.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 268
So the front and rear action screws on the 110 are the same spacing as the 112 magnum target action. Did you ask if they could sell you a stock without the mag well cut? Wonder if they would do that. Thanks for the pics.

Yes they are and I asked HS about an uncut stock a year ago. I was told they couldn't.

I was actually going to get a stock from McMillan, but didn't want to wait the time frame, so I did this.

So I know this is an older thread but could you just leave the 3rd action screw out and use an mdt?

Would also love to know if you could leave the third action screw out and use an mdt. My laminate Savage stock cracked on the side, so I'm looking for a lower cost replacement. It was a great stock and I thought about gluing it together but not sure that would be the best fix on such a heavy recoiling rifle.

Curious...
Why the target action and retrofit a chassis, when you can get the 110 Precision?

Ours shoots 1/2 minute (we've stretched it out to 2,000). I don't see whatever minimal accuracy gains that might be realized with the target action being worth the hassle, unless you don't like the Drake/MDT chassis for some reason.

Drake has accessories available as well:

Curious...
Why the target action and retrofit a chassis, when you can get the 110 Precision?

Ours shoots 1/2 minute (we've stretched it out to 2,000). I don't see whatever minimal accuracy gains that might be realized with the target action being worth the hassle, unless you don't like the Drake/MDT chassis for some reason.

Drake has accessories available as well:
My reasoning is, I have plans for this action and I don’t want to be, or can’t be limited with a lapua mag length action. Even with my 338 loads I’m able to forget about mag length and load a little longer for more capacity.

Last edited:
I have a 33XC barrel for mine as well as .338 Lapua. Wanted the single shot action for rigidity, so I got one. Would have to single feed anyway. Wanted to try a chassis and still keep the wood stock for a lighter rifle to carry in the mountains, so I got one.

Hey MarcC11B,
With the xlr element chassis I thought the screw spacing was different, did you modify your so that it would work? Like the two screw system spacing for the normal 110 and 112 long actions was different than the three screw set up for the Magnum Target action.

The 2 outer holes line up with a standard long action. I also have a regular plastic Savage factory stock and it will fit right in, just don’t get to use the middle screw (same with as the chassis).

After gathering all this info, I think I’m going to put mine in a Choate tactical stock with the stagger feed inlet and just roll with two screws.

Reactions: Matagorda308
Got the Choate stagger feed long action stock. It bolted right up, once I got it together and checked function I noticed the bolt release wouldn’t work so I took a dremal tool and milled out some plastic around that area and it’s working fine.
Much better stock for longrange in my opinion.
A50188ED-0A30-41AF-8225-8880ED02C91F.png

Reactions: Matagorda308
Got the Choate stagger feed long action stock. It bolted right up, once I got it together and checked function I noticed the bolt release wouldn’t work so I took a dremal tool and milled out some plastic around that area and it’s working fine.
Much better stock for longrange in my opinion. View attachment 7743752
Are you still single feeding, using a blind/internal magazine or using box magazines? If you are using box magazines which magazines are you using for your CHOATE Long Action staggered feed setup? Thank you in advance.

Are you still single feeding, using a blind/internal magazine or using box magazines? If you are using box magazines which magazines are you using for your CHOATE Long Action staggered feed setup? Thank you in advance.
Yes single feeding. It’s the single shot 112 action.

Reactions: OCL_Sportsman
I read one of your previous post saying that you single feed due longer seating/cartridge length. I plan to mag feed factory ammo and was wondering if it is possible with your setup. If so, which AI magazines (AXSR/AXMC)?

I read one of your previous post saying that you single feed due longer seating/cartridge length. I plan to mag feed factory ammo and was wondering if it is possible with your setup. If so, which AI magazines (AXSR/AXMC)?
I actually chose the 112 single shot so I could load long. The bottom of the action is closed off, so no mag could be utilized. I had options at the time I bought the rifle, and I went with the single shot because of the red blade trigger and the stiff characteristics of the single shot action. And when I rebarrel I wouldn’t be restricted with mag length ammo or cartridges.