• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stock Market

Seems buffet owns 6.1 million shares of snow.

Approx 1 billion investment.
Snowflake was a Combs investment, not Buffett, and it started at half a billion. Buffett gives his lieutenants a good amount of leeway for decisions under a billion. The fact it was bought leading into the IPO shows Buffett wasn’t making that call, he’s extremely wary of IPOs and tech IPOs even more.
As a BRK shareholder you might enjoy these titles if reading is your thing. 'The Clash of Cultures: Investment vs Speculation' and also 'Poor Charlie's Almanack - The Wit and Wisdom of Charles Munger'. While I invest in almost no single company Buffett holds I do trend to his taste for financials, insurance, midstream oil and gas, debt and asset backed debt/BDCs. I'm thinking he still owns some Ares so that may be one we share also Sirius Point. You might know this does he still own Antero Midstream or it might have been Antero Resources? What a machine totally self funding all capex and dividend from FCF. No one person has shaped my investing tenets more than Munger dang I miss hearing him, but fortunately we have decades of his wisdom to read.
Antero isn’t on the latest 13F, I’m not sure if they ever held it. I’m not that close of a follower to know everything they’ve bought and sold, and have only really followed it close enough to read the quarterly reports over the last few years.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Either way buffets company owns it.

Edit: im
Unsure if they bought it before the ipo or even close afterwards. It seems that I recall it being around 2022.

🤷‍♂️

Antero isn’t on the latest 13F, I’m not sure if they ever held it. I’m not that close of a follower to know everything they’ve bought and sold, and have only really followed it close enough to read the quarterly reports over the last few years.
My goof I had Antero mixed up with Western Midstream which is another great midstream.....which was bought by OXY. WES is a money gun even with the healthy run up in share price the last dividend increase is still paying $3.50/share div ~ 9.2%

My goof I had Antero mixed up with Western Midstream which is another great midstream.....which was bought by OXY. WES is a money gun even with the healthy run up in share price the last dividend increase is still paying $3.50/share div ~ 9.2%
I thought that was the case. Yes, OXY was 100% Buffett and probably his best purchase since Apple.

How can anyone be this bad....I give you Cathie Wood. ARKK down -16% YTD and a 5 year return of 0.8%? I don't pay attention to growth/tech much, but had to do a double take when an ARKK article flashed on my newsfeed. This kind of comical under performance deserves some kind of happy meal clown car award. Her eternal strategy seems to be buy high sell low and her 15 minutes of fame are done.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoDopes
How can anyone be this bad....I give you Cathie Wood. ARKK down -16% YTD and a 5 year return of 0.8%? I don't pay attention to growth/tech much, but had to do a double take when an ARKK article flashed on my newsfeed. This kind of comical under performance deserves some kind of happy meal clown car award. Her eternal strategy seems to be buy high sell low and her 15 minutes of fame are done.
I think she’s more celebrity than investor, who believes all publicity is good publicity. To get continuously trounced like she does in a bull market, she has to be trying to suck.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I think she’s more celebrity than investor, who believes all publicity is good publicity. To get continuously trounced like she does in a bull market, she has to be trying to suck.
It's uncanny really. I thought she was a clown years ago and had quite frankly forgotten about her. Apparently she's going for some kind of HOF implosion. She may go the way of Mike Wilson at MS who was demoted after his 4 + year doomsday bear thesis finally ran dry.

ARKK is no worse than TSLA or the Russell 2000

1716495923399.png

I think some people park some extra funds there as a hedge should the Black Swan appear. Regardless of the headlines on CNBC, there are still investors who have lost money this year.

View attachment 8424252

I think some people park some extra funds there as a hedge should the Black Swan appear. Regardless of the headlines on CNBC, there are still investors who have lost money this year.
Right there Y/Y AARK is flat, yet the Nasdaq that’s she’s deep in is up 34%. That shows total lack of diversity and investment by bad instincts versus good fundamentals.

She had her heyday black swan in 2020 with Covid, picked some great lockdown stocks, but she stuck with them and got gutted. I bet half of the holders of AARK either forgot it was there, or are dead. The other half play penny and meme stocks.

View attachment 8424252

Russell 2000 is up 2% YTD, ARKK is down -14%, TSLA is down -27%.

Regardless there are people who always lose money in any market which is why ~ 85% of retail investors the last 50 years have lost more money than they made. They panic, don't understand what they own or why they even own it. Charlie Munger said it best with 2 of my fav quotes: "If you can't stomach 50% declines in your portfolio you will get the mediocre returns you deserve.' Also 'in the short term the stock market is a voting machine, long term it's a weighing machine'.

Last edited:

View attachment 8424252

The market is riding about 7 stocks so the others are either coasting along or losing

Any thoughts on NVIDIA and the upcoming 10:1 split on 6/2? A friend went in on 50 shares and thought I’d throw it out here and see what feedback I get. I haven’t researched it but know AI has been driving their stock prices.

Any thoughts on NVIDIA and the upcoming 10:1 split on 6/2? A friend went in on 50 shares and thought I’d throw it out here and see what feedback I get. I haven’t researched it but know AI has been driving their stock prices.
50 shares may seem like a lot.
If you are going to "dabble" just remember you are up against some heavy hitters with insider info and a lot of balls.
1716502186454.png

At the moment the only thing keeping the market pushing up is institutional investors who are just refusing to sell large holdings, but I believe we are at the end of that cycle. They have been holding so many stocks so artificially high for almost two years now I do fear a large correction that will be sudden enough to be a crash. Sales can’t keep dropping with companies reporting profits forever it defies financial gravity, and simply put the middle class is damn near broke.

Constant buying through retirement accounts.
I have vivid memories of friends who lost everything in retirement accounts during the "Great Recession".
The market dropped like a rock and either they could not pull it out (for many reasons) or the investment expert told them to hang on the market was going to come back... and it did not.
Those friends should be retired today. But, they are still working into their 70's because they lost all of their retirement nest egg.

I have vivid memories of friends who lost everything in retirement accounts during the "Great Recession".
The market dropped like a rock and either they could not pull it out (for many reasons) or the investment expert told them to hang on the market was going to come back... and it did not.
Those friends should be retired today. But, they are still working into their 70's because they lost all of their retirement nest egg.
They probably owned bad stuff. The Great Recession brought about an 11
Year bull run, that was only slightly impacted by the 2020 Covid drop. Steady up since then. Quality stonks have continued to reach new highs.

Reactions: BigTex and Redmanss
I can't fathom who was managing their money b/c post GFC was one of the most ballistic money making periods of our lifetime. 'Didn't come back?'. So what are their account balances now at all time highs? The ZIRP era was about as difficult as falling out of a chair buy the dip rinse and repeat. Sorry to hear that about those people though.....must have had atrocious money managers.

I can't fathom who was managing their money b/c post GFC was one of the most ballistic money making periods of our lifetime. 'Didn't come back?'. So what are their account balances now at all time highs? The ZIRP era was about as difficult as falling out of a chair buy the dip rinse and repeat. Sorry to hear that about those people though.....must have had atrocious money managers.
What do you not understand about "It did not come back" ? Some accounts got finished off with just the management fees.
How old were you in 2000 (Great Recession) ?
People were walking away from their homes because they had no money.

Reactions: Lightning8
What do you not understand about "It did not come back" ? Some accounts got finished off with just the management fees.

The .com bubble and Great Recession were some of my best buying moments.

They probably owned bad stuff. The Great Recession brought about an 11
Year bull run, that was only slightly impacted by the 2020 Covid drop. Steady up since then. Quality stonks have continued to reach new highs.
It was only a bull run for people that had money left in those retirement accounts.
Those were very hard times. When the bottom fell out many were desperate for food money and just took the retirement money that was left, paid the taxes and used the rest to buy food.
Stick around, we are getting ready to watch a rerun of the Great Recession.

Reactions: Lightning8
It was only a bull run for people that had money left in those retirement accounts.
Those were very hard times. When the bottom fell out many were desperate for food money and just took the retirement money that was left, paid the taxes and used the rest to buy food.
Stick around, we are getting ready to watch a rerun of the Great Recession.
I was there. That’s when I acquired my properties.

The thing I noticed about the recession was it was absolutely brutal on people who were bad with money and over leveraged.

Reactions: ken226 and LRRPF52

The thing I noticed about the recession was it was absolutely brutal on people who were bad with money and over leveraged.
We now have 2 - 3 younger generations who are bad with money and over leveraged.
They have no Rainy Day funds.

Gonna be a lot of bootstrap pulling up happening.
I honestly believe "they" think something / someone is going to swoop in and save their ass.
I helped people move out and walk away from their homes. Within 2 years they were in another home and about to lose it to the repo company.

Are you talking about the 2000 dot.com bust or the 2008 GFC? In 2000 I saw my portfolio take a 60% dive, but it recovered even with a fairly hefty risk profile in all growth. 2008 was tough too, but great time to buy int he coming years. 2000, 2009 and 2020 were great times to buy. When/if this recession comes it will be another great time to buy if you know what to look for and want.

If an entire retirement portfolio is wiped out to zero then it was horribly managed especially given retirees should have long since shifted away from growth to income and up the capital stack away from common shares to far less risk. Any retirement planner counting on sequence of returns to primarily fund retirement is just dumb, but I'm sure they are out there. Capital gains are fickle and relying on them for retirement income is insane.

Last edited:
Gonna be a lot of bootstrap pulling up happening.
I see in in my neighborhood already the over leveraged, under capitalized idiot generation with zero thought about tomorrow. Spend every dime they make, own nothing all bank indentured slaves and their spending habits mirror someone who has 10 years of spare income liquidity to support their lifestyle. New lease Lexus, country club memberships, vacations etc. Insane. I've been in my home for 21 years and seen a few dolts come through here, but this last influx of NE idiots from NY, NJ, MA since covid takes the cake.....I won't be sad to see them go. With the careers they have they have to be leveraged to the hilt and that is going to roost soon.

Are you talking about the 2000 dot.com bust or the 2008 GFC? In 2000 and saw my portfolio take a 60% dive, but it recovered even with a fairly hefty risk profile in all growth. 2000, 2008 and 2020 were great times to buy. When/if this recession comes it will be another great time to buy.
I can take you all the way back to the oil embargo recession / oil patch crash when people were setting fire to houses in Houston, walking away and collecting insurance money. These are all "recessions". The terminology will change for each one. Same thing in the package, just different color wrapping paper.

At the moment the only thing keeping the market pushing up is institutional investors who are just refusing to sell large holdings, but I believe we are at the end of that cycle. They have been holding so many stocks so artificially high for almost two years now I do fear a large correction that will be sudden enough to be a crash. Sales can’t keep dropping with companies reporting profits forever it defies financial gravity, and simply put the middle class is damn near broke.
This for the win.

• Sad

when the bubble burst... 2009 ish. 265,000 dollar homes sold for 90k (2,100 sq feet.
You could buy an 1800 sf home in Maricopa AZ for 65,000 ... Trucks were selling for 60k. I didn't have any money; but ..
I told all my friends, if you want to double or triple your money in less than 10 years.. buy as many houses as you can....
Those houses are now 400k - 350k. Granted, inflation has fk'd a ton of that up, but.. $$ was to be made if you had cash.

when the bubble burst... 2009 ish. 265,000 dollar homes sold for 90k (2,100 sq feet.
You could buy an 1800 sf home in Maricopa AZ for 65,000 ... Trucks were selling for 60k. I didn't have any money; but ..
I told all my friends, if you want to double or triple your money in less than 10 years.. buy as many houses as you can....
Those houses are now 400k - 350k. Granted, inflation has fk'd a ton of that up, but.. $$ was to be made if you had cash.
Dodge Rams were BOGO free during the recession. That short deflationary period was a wonderful time to be alive.

Dodge Rams were BOGO free during the recession. That short deflationary period was a wonderful time to be alive.
Our local Dodge dealer has been advertising base level Chargers for 40% off msrp this weekend. Another tell is all of the low rate, long term financing offers popping up for everything from furniture to cars.

Our local Dodge dealer has been advertising base level Chargers for 40% off msrp this weekend. Another tell is all of the low rate, long term financing offers popping up for everything from furniture to cars.
Most brand dealers are offering 0%-1.99% for 36 months. Issue is likely 90% of people can’t afford the payment on a 36 month note…for a Corolla.

I’m just waiting to find a 2023 Charger Scat pack for under $40k out the door!

I have never seen this type of offer…View attachment 8424848
I have. Dodge rams were buy one get one free during the recession. Kia Forte’s were buy one get one free in 2009 as well. You could snag ford expeditions for close to 50% off with 0% financing.

As I said, the short deflationary period after the housing crash was a fun time to not be broke.

Corporations have pushed to far on price increases and I believe have triggered a deflationary period. Interdasting indeed.

This is what I popped in for. I’ve been loosely tracking the auto industry since our accident a few years ago when everything was insane. It took me a month to find a replacement vehicle so we bought 2 of the same because it sucked being a family of 5 without our main vehicle (1st world problems, I know).

I’ve just been waiting for the cliff indicators on the over-valuations that have accumulated in the auto side. Dealer lots filled with new 2023s still in some places, salesmen and managers still playing Suckers thinking if they hold out, it will somehow work out.

Cars are not moving anywhere near as fast as dealers and manufacturers need them to for many of the brands. Look at who the only companies are below 93 day Industry avg:

Car Edge stats:
BrandBrand Days of SupplyTotal New Inventory
Industry Average933,178,488
Acura9428895
Alfa Romeo2605815
Audi13255876
BMW9670377
Buick8635310
Cadillac10440891
Chevrolet87317477
Chrysler16516438
Dodge15661793
Ford124471,856
GMC94132,078
Genesis17324,702
Honda57181,210
Hyundai103191,263
Infiniti14116,876
Jaguar2024,240
Jeep195217,590
Kia70118,747
Land Rover7614,346

BrandBrand Days of SupplyTotal New Inventory
Lexus6758,223
Lincoln15738,883
Mazda138116,552
Mercedes-Benz11277,584
Mini1207,059
Mitsubishi13221,080
Nissan133203,953
Porsche9613,826
Ram229157,945
Subaru73105,974
Toyota39247,244
Volkswagen10688,921
Volvo13931,552

Reactions: Earnhardt
Your retirement money at work:

May 26 (Reuters) - Elon Musk's AI startup xAI raised $6 billion in series B funding, reaching a post-money valuation of $24 billion as investors bet big on challengers to companies like OpenAI in the intensifying AI race.
The funding round was backed by investors including Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia Capital, the company said in a blog post on Sunday.
The company's pre-money valuation was $18 billion, Musk said
in a post

The financial world is rapidly changing. Much faster than the Average American understand.

May 29 (Reuters) - BlackRock's (BLK.N)
, opens new tab iShares Bitcoin Trust has become the world's largest fund for the original cryptocurrency, racking up nearly $20 billion in total assets since listing in the U.S. at the start of the year, Bloomberg News reported on Wednesday.
The exchange-traded fund held $19.68 billion of token on Tuesday, overtaking Grayscale Bitcoin Trust's $19.65 billion, report said, citing data compiled by Bloomberg.

BlackRock did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment, while Grayscale couldn't be immediately reached.
The Securities and Exchange Commission, which is led by crypto skeptic Gary Gensler, rejected spot bitcoin ETFs for more than a decade over market manipulation worries, but approved them in January after Grayscale Investments won a court challenge last year.

I foresee a lawsuit: FSD cuts line, pisses Bubba off, Tesla driver gunned down, Tesla at fault because juries always find against multi-billion dollar companies.

ETA: That was an illegal lane change crossing solid white line. I thought they were supposed to obey all traffic laws? 🤔

No. You can set FSD speeds over the limit.