• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STOCK PAINT :: Proper colors for desert camo?

300snipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Northern Nevada, NV
Hey everyone. I've been searching but cannot find a list of specific colors to use to get the proper desert camo look. So I figured I'd just buy a bunch of the ones that looked proper over at the suplus store. Advice needed - I've got a AICS stock coming in next week that I want to paint, but obviously want to get it right the first time. I'm also looking for some pre-designed patterns to print and cut out for the layering process - not sure where to get those either but I can always hack some up in Illustrator if needed.

I've seen Manners and other stock makers offer choices of 3, 4, and 5 color patterns but I'm not sure what looks best for concealment out here in the nevada deserts. I'll also be shooting in the caprock areas of south Texas next month (dry grasses, mesquite, etc) so I'd like to match that area as well, although my primary use in Nevada desert. What do you all recommend from experience?

The following cans are available, from right to left in the image
977 SAND
1075 KHAKI
968 FIELD DRAB
1076 COYOTE
997A OLIVE DRAB

Thanks in advance!
iHeFBl.jpg

Re: STOCK PAINT :: Proper colors for desert camo?

According to wikipedia.:
Desert Battle Dress Uniform is made up of a base pattern of light tan overlaid with broad swathes of pale olive green and wide two-tone bands of brown. Clusters of black-on-white spots are scattered over it.
Use a piece of wood and try out different pattern, color to see what you like then go for it.

Thanks for the BDU info. I just checked that page and that looks more like the old Desert Storm BDU color pattern. I'm looking for something more like flectarn pattern or others that are non-digital.

Something like the following
BDU_Shirt_Desert_flecktarn.gif

danish_army_desert_issue.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to wikipedia.:
Desert Battle Dress Uniform is made up of a base pattern of light tan overlaid with broad swathes of pale olive green and wide two-tone bands of brown. Clusters of black-on-white spots are scattered over it.
Use a piece of wood and try out different pattern, color to see what you like then go for it.</div></div>

Did the army refer to wikipedia before creating the army ACU pattern too? That explains a lot. I would refer to wikipedia for a camouflage pattern right before I ask a clown with rainbow wig.

P1020003.jpg

The easiest thing to do is use two tones that are found in your environment. Spray the whole stock in one color and create patterns with stencils with blue painters tape. Then paint over with your next color. I did green and then tan. Remember KISS, don't over complicate it. the goal should be to break up the outline. Also if you do an elaborate pattern you will have a very hard time touching it up when your solvent dissolves the paint or you ding it.

jakhamr81: great paint job. I'll give that advice a shot. Did you use a matte clear coat?

+1 on what jakhamr said. I picked up sevral colors and sprayed them on a manila folder and went out where I would want to blend in. I picked three colors and some veg. I went home drgreased my rifle layed a solid coat of tan followed by spots of coyote then held veg and hit it with that last color, WWII od. That was all there was to it.

DSCN2931.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HN7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to wikipedia.:
Use a piece of wood and try out different pattern, color to see what you like then go for it.</div></div>

Did the army refer to wikipedia before creating the army ACU pattern too? That explains a lot. I would refer to wikipedia for a camouflage pattern right before I ask a clown with rainbow wig.
</div></div>
You missed the point. He asked what colors are used in desert camo. Wikipedia just describe the pattern and color as they see it, nothing more, nothing less. The page doesn't tell you how to paint the pattern, just describe it. Also, he wanted to do a proper, multi color desert camo that's why I quoted the color description.

@300snipe :
Check out bulldogarms camo stencils if you want to make it easier on yourself. All you need to do is decide which colors you want.
http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulld...36pfs76jbnv5t33

If you want the same colors as your pics, you can use OD green as the base coat, apply stencils, earth brown, stencils then tan/khaki

Found this, look pretty close to what you want:
[img:center]http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulld...36pfs76jbnv5t33[/img]

For a permanent firearm finish I highly reccommend Duracoat. If that is not an option I suggest Brownells paint because it resists gun solvents that you may use to clean your weapon. Other paints will be removed if you use harsh gun solvents like nitro solvents. You can get pre-cut digital patterns at lauerweaponry.com. got to the peel n spray tab and choose your pattern.

Thanks, First I actually decreased it as well, then sprayed it with some earth toned textured krylon paint, after that I used Brownell's Aluma hyde 2 OD. Then I created some stencils with blue painters tape, or you could use vegetation, and finally covered it with a tan krylon (The shade I needed to match my Gun Koted barrel was only available in a satin finish). The under coating of the textured paint really gives it a little bit of depth, but you don't want it anywhere near where your face will make contact. It also made the satin finish paint I used ultra flat. One more tip, hold the cans about a foot and a half away when spraying, it will help make the finish even flatter.

Man some of those stencils have a lot going on in them. Toss's the idea of KISS out the window.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man some of those stencils have a lot going on in them. Toss's the idea of KISS out the window.</div></div>

Your right Tbag, I forgot that we have some simple minded people here, let me explain. Blue painters tape is a tape designed to not stick so much to fresh paint that it will pull the paint off. It is a version of masking tape that is less tacky. Hope this helps to un-complicate things for you.

Blue tape is great but the green frog tape is even better at getting super crisp cut lines.

Don't forget to use pink
wink.gif

9ig58o.jpg

I did this rifle in my basement a few weeks back.

It is essentially three colors of Duracoat: Tactical Dark Earth, Magpul Flat Dark Earth, and Tactical Desert Beige (mixed with about 30% Magpul FDE to subdue the tone somewhat).

I made my own Female GAP camo templates out of blue painters tape backed on wax paper.

Here is the result:

P1050894.jpg

P1050898.jpg

looks great. I've been wondering, does that skid pad have any type of effect on the barrel harmonics?

It doesn't touch the barrel. Just velcro'ed to the stock.

Leland,

I'm curious, how substantial is the difference between magpul FDE and ultra flat dark earth?

Nice work BTW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lelandEOD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did this rifle in my basement a few weeks back.

It is essentially three colors of Duracoat: Tactical Dark Earth, Magpul Flat Dark Earth, and Tactical Desert Beige (mixed with about 30% Magpul FDE to subdue the tone somewhat).

I made my own Female GAP camo templates out of blue painters tape backed on wax paper.

Here is the result:

P1050894.jpg

P1050898.jpg
</div></div>

Aervoe gets good reviews on another forum for quickie camo jobs in comparison to Krylon (reportedly more durable). My buddie who lives in the Trans Pecos region of TX has gotten good results with Field Drab, Olive, Sand and Krylon Brown, though it was a leftover, and I believe #480 Aervoe Highland Brown might work well. A matte clear overspray can be used to enhance durability.

I would suggest coyote brown, flat dark earth and gray. I like gray more than black because it blends well with sage brush and shadows. If you use green, use it very sparingly. I think olive drab is too dark, something lighter and more muted would be better.

I suggest taking a look at Optifade open country and ATAC for color and pattern ideas, as they work well in northern Nevada.

If you want to, give me a PM, as I'm curious to your location, since I'm likely close.

I have to agree and say go with duracoat or cerakote if you want something that will last. Lauer weaponry has several different duracoat packs available for desert camos.

duracoat clear over the top too. Helps

I recommend a base coat of Cerakote and then camo it out with krylon. Later when the next new big camo comes out you can take it back down to the base coat and re-camo.

Cerakote paint available at home depot/lowes or can you find it all on brownells web site?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litotes15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cerakote paint available at home depot/lowes or can you find it all on brownells web site? </div></div>

Specialty item only available at Brownells. You do need to bake it, which can be tough for some.

wow. yeah that may be a little bit of a task. thanks for the info. I'll look for another route to paint my rifle then. appreciate the heads up

cera coat has air dry paint, it is just as good as the bake on paints, depending on the weather 5-7 days full cure time.
I recommend air cure.

cera coat has air dry paint, it is just as good as the bake on paints, depending on the weather 5-7 days full cure time.
I recommend air cure.