• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stocks: AICS 1.5 -or- Manners M5 DBM

drum13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2012
Guys - Need advice on stocks.
Looking at the AICS 1.5 and/or a Manners w/M5 + mini-chassis.

Unfortunately, living in MA there's not an opportunity to get behind and drive different stocks & scopes.

After massive searching, learned that the AICS might be better suited to smaller body frames (I'm 5'7" 190-ish). Had a McMillan A4 and liked it alot but felt it didn't quite suit me.

Would like a DBM system on a stock that doesn't need to be shipped out to be bedded or inletted correctly. (We need a custom Smith big-time here in MA!!).

Got a .308 Remington 700 5R that shoots great in the factory HS stock but it's not comfortable. The LOP feels too long and the comb is just way too low. Bought a cheek riser for it but it's pissing me off.

As always the advice received here is much appreciated!!

Re: Stocks: AICS 1.5 -or- Manners M5 DBM

It would be about a 90 minute drive for you, but I have a 5R in a Manners T5 with mini-chassis that you are welcome to take a look at and see if it fits you. I'm only 5'9 and it fits me well. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer!
I'll send PM.

That's what I'm sayin, man!!
crazy.gif

Hey Vic, do the Skins lighten up the AICS any? I hear they're on the heavy side?

Been whipping this hollow-butt H.S. stock around for a few weeks now and gotta say it's pretty handy being so light. Sure kicks you in the shoulder a bit more though after a long day.

AICS are heavy. If you want a lighter (but still not "light") chassis, get the Manners stock in carbon fiber with the mini-chassis. On paper, that meets your requirements. But, there is no substitute for getting behind a rifle and seeing if you like it: definitely take nauta up on his offer.

PS. adjustable hardware adds weight to a stock big time: so think twice about that if you want it light...ish. I've got both Manners and McM stocks and McM can be had quite a bit lighter than Manners. Another option is to get a Whidden aluminum chassis in a McM stock, but the Manners mini-chassis is very nice.

Scooter, thanks for the Whidden/McM combo idea. Had no idea that existed. So would the Whitten v-block need to be inletted and bedded? Can't find too much info out there. Trying to avoid having to ship parts and guns across the country for smith work.

So if the Manners are heavier than most McM's - I had better rethink this whole idea. My McM A4 was pretty heavy (but had a 24" mil-spec barrel in it). Wouldn't want anything heavier than that for this rifle.

Very glad to meet everybody here,I am just a new member of this forum,I want to make more friends here,I hope you can like me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nightshift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I'm sayin, man!!
crazy.gif

Hey Vic, do the Skins lighten up the AICS any? I hear they're on the heavy side?
</div></div>

V-Skins are about 4 oz lighter than the thumbhole AICS skins, and they also help distribute the weight better in your hands.

Truth be told, unless you are hauling your rifle over mountains hunting, you don't need a super light rig. Most of my AICS (and Manners) rigs all come out at 15-16lbs with the scope and bipod. Plus the weight tames the recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sally45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very glad to meet everybody here,I am just a new member of this forum,I want to make more friends here,I hope you can like me.

Spammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nauta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be about a 90 minute drive for you, but I have a 5R in a Manners T5 with mini-chassis that you are welcome to take a look at and see if it fits you. I'm only 5'9 and it fits me well. PM me if you are interested.</div></div>

I have a T3 you can get your hands on as well although it doesn't have the mini chassis in it.

Manners with the mini Chassis is the grand slam when it comes to stocks!!

You wont regret it. I run a T4A with mini chassis and wouldnt do it any other way.

I live in Millis area in MA, and have a folding AICS on a Remington LTR 308 and a Manners T4A on my GAP 308. I tried to mount my scopes as low as possible, and on the AICS I do not need the adustable cheek piece (have it as low as possible) with a IOR 4-14x50 scope, while I have about an inch of rise on my T4A to meet up with a Premier 5-15x. Perhaps we could meet up and I could let you take a look. I'm a smaaaaall guy in height and they both fit me great.

There are some pretty nice setups in the area, don't count MA out!

Wow thanks, that would be great!!
I'll PM you my info..... We're probably neighbors.