• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Razors

Another good option for someone who would like to sharpen their own razor, but doesn't want to spend the money on high grit stones is lapping film. You can pick up a mixed pack of lapping film for $15-25.00 with grits ranging all the way down to .05 micron. (About 50,000 grit) Stick a piece of that on float glass, or a stone countertop scrap and you'll be set for quite a few sharpenings with minimal expense.
works for knives and tools as well if you're looking for extreme sharpness. If you try this out I suggest an "edge trailing" sharpening method to avoid cutting the film.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
Actually love seeing people move to traditional shaving stuff.

Few years ago when Gillette said BBQing was toxic masculinity I bought an antique double edge razor and spent $11 on blades that have lasted me more than a year of shaves, shaving pretty much daily.

Fuck that $30 for 5 blades and being told I suck while doing it.

If you are going to be big on straights you will need to learn to sharpen.

Guessing unless you drop it on your granite counter top it's a light hone and strop to keep it in shape.
Feather blades rock!

I use a double edge safety everyday, the only one I've every used except in the military. It was my Dad's spare and he gave it to me when I started shaving. The thought of a strait is appealing I'll have to research it some.

Reactions: stefan73
Ya'll need to step up to something that will get really sharp. Obsidian is 500-1000 times sharper than surgical steel.
Hi, materials scientiest here - just a quick note that this is nonsense. Sharpness is geometry, which means no material is inherently more sharp than any other. There is also no reason why obsidian would make a better blade than diamond or tool steel. I expect it would chip like a motherfucker and be a bastard to sharpen.

Who’s man enough to shave your balls with one? Safety razor is bad enough, them corners will get ya.

I don’t know how people use multiple blades, when I had to shave for work that shit tore my face up, single blade is the way to go.
You had me at first! Went from a warning about shaving around the corners of your balls to talking about shaving for work. Glad you cleared it up with, "that shit tore up my face." Was REALLY intrigued about what line of work you were in.

Hi, materials scientiest here - just a quick note that this is nonsense. Sharpness is geometry, which means no material is inherently more sharp than any other. There is also no reason why obsidian would make a better blade than diamond or tool steel. I expect it would chip like a motherfucker and be a bastard to sharpen.
What about grain structure? And hardness? A sharp, but soft edge that rolls and creates a burr at first use isn't particularly useful.

Steel with a coarse grain structure can't take as fine of an edge as steel with a uniform, small grain structure. Think D2 steel used in field knives vs white/blue steel used in sushi knives. The D2 will get sharp and stay sharp, but the edge will be a little more toothy than finer grained steel. This is why you're unlikely to find many razors made out of D2 even though it's a great steel for other purposes.

Obsidian crystal size is insanely small and the material is insanely hard. It does chip easily, but takes a ridiculously fine edge that doesn't roll. That's why it replaced steel as the cutting material of choice in operating rooms. In that application, tool steel would suck. It'd function like a microscopic saw.

If I'm getting operated on, I'll stick with obsidian, diamond or sapphire. If I'm shaving, a fine grained simple steel. If I'm cutting rope, cardboard or plastic ties on a regular basis, tool steel. Geometry is important, but it's not the end all, be all here.

YOu may be correct. I think the real measurement is of 'hardness', rather than 'sharpness', which is is. Likely more brittle as well.

What about grain structure? And hardness? A sharp, but soft edge that rolls and creates a burr at first use isn't particularly useful.

Steel with a coarse grain structure can't take as fine of an edge as steel with a uniform, small grain structure. Think D2 steel used in field knives vs white/blue steel used in sushi knives. The D2 will get sharp and stay sharp, but the edge will be a little more toothy than finer grained steel. This is why you're unlikely to find many razors made out of D2 even though it's a great steel for other purposes.

Obsidian crystal size is insanely small and the material is insanely hard. It does chip easily, but takes a ridiculously fine edge that doesn't roll. That's why it replaced steel as the cutting material of choice in operating rooms. In that application, tool steel would suck. It'd function like a microscopic saw.

If I'm getting operated on, I'll stick with obsidian, diamond or sapphire. If I'm shaving, a fine grained simple steel. If I'm cutting rope, cardboard or plastic ties on a regular basis, tool steel. Geometry is important, but it's not the end all, be all here.
Interesting side about grain in steel. Years ago the US made the best steel in the world (perhaps not including custom Damascus) In the finest electronic components the used the highest quality steel, annealed the hellout of it, and then ran magnets over the trays as it cooled to grain align the electrons. Im into high end audio and you can clearly hear the difference in the old output transformers and the crap they crank out today.

Interesting side about grain in steel. Years ago the US made the best steel in the world (perhaps not including custom Damascus) In the finest electronic components the used the highest quality steel, annealed the hellout of it, and then ran magnets over the trays as it cooled to grain align the electrons. Im into high end audio and you can clearly hear the difference in the old output transformers and the crap they crank out today.
We still do and damascus is a gimmick. It looks nice, but it's obsolete. Crucible produces some of the finest steels in the world, including uber exotic stuff like the rex series and anything with CPM in it. There are some decent steels coming out of Japan and Sweden, but crucible is still the gold standard in most cases. If you have any high end knives, crucible probably produced the steel.

My dad still runs older high end (McIntosh) tube amps and an absurdly heavy turn table that's suspended by magnets. I think the stylus on that record player set him back about as much as the average complete stereo system, at least when adjusted for inflation. Good stuff.

I'm still listening to DVD-A and SACDs on a home built setup. I didn't build the crossovers from scratch though. I ordered them from parts express. Not phenomenal, but better than anything you'll find at bestbuy, IMO. And cheaper.

We still do and damascus is a gimmick. It looks nice, but it's obsolete. Crucible produces some of the finest steels in the world, including uber exotic stuff like the rex series and anything with CPM in it. There are some decent steels coming out of Japan and Sweden, but crucible is still the gold standard in most cases. If you have any high end knives, crucible probably produced the steel.

My dad still runs older high end (McIntosh) tube amps and an absurdly heavy turn table that's suspended by magnets. I think the stylus on that record player set him back about as much as the average complete stereo system, at least when adjusted for inflation. Good stuff.

I'm still listening to DVD-A and SACDs on a home built setup. I didn't build the crossovers from scratch though. I ordered them from parts express. Not phenomenal, but better than anything you'll find at bestbuy, IMO. And cheaper.
SHow your old man this photo of my system, he'll appreciate it. Im using a Technics SP 10 Mk II turntable with a Kuzma 4pt arm and a Transfiguration Proteus D cartridge. All the amps, preamps and phono are custom built all point to point wiring, not a transistor out side of the turntable. If he's ever in the mid Atlantic region he's welcome for a visit and listen.

s-l1600.jpg

@Maggot Wikipedia says that obsidian can be made into blades sharper than steel so I was wrong to be so critical, apologies! Not FDA approves though so good luck getting operated on with obsidian blades ;-)

Obsidian is glass so it doesn't have a grain structure.

Agreed about hardness, which is why I mentioned diamond and tool steel, rather than aluminium or whatever *shrug*

Yeah hardness is usually directly proportional to toughness (brittle behaviour).

SHow your old man this photo of my system, he'll appreciate it. Im using a Technics SP 10 Mk II turntable with a Kuzma 4pt arm and a Transfiguration Proteus D cartridge. All the amps, preamps and phono are custom built all point to point wiring, not a transistor out side of the turntable. If he's ever in the mid Atlantic region he's welcome for a visit and listen.

s-l1600.jpg
That’s awesome. What kind of speakers are those?

I shave my head with whatever safety razor is on sale. But, the last time I shaved my face, and it has been a decade or more, I used a hunting knife. Specifically, the orange handled knife pictured below.
EE39E2F4-7EF8-45B9-BA68-C923FE522C23.jpeg

That’s awesome. What kind of speakers are those?

Live Sound Designs Grand Theater System original demo pair.

These are exact reproductions of the famous RCA MI 9462 bass cabinet, and Altec 1505 multi cell horn, recreated in stunning all wood configuration. The bass cabinets are loaded with 4 (2 per box)freshly re coned Electro Voice 15 W bass drivers. These are the same drivers used in the highly regarded EV Patricians and others of that era. Not to be confused with the less desirable 15Wk used in the Klipsch speakers. I have an additional pair of EV drivers I can include for an additional $650. wiring is with vintage Western Electric high purity copper wire. The wooden horns are built entirely of Tilia wood, using all natural glues and shellacs', eliminate the ringing inherent in metal horns, giving a much smoother and sweeter mid and high frequency curve. They are driven by are driven by Great Plains Audio/ Altec 288 Alnico drivers(one per horn) In addition, they have reproduction Altec N 500 crossovers, designed to allow either single or bi amped passive crossover, eliminating the need for an active crossover. Jumper cables included.You can see reviews of this exact pair being demoed at Capital Audio Fest 2014 in Peter Brueninger's AV Showrooms (be sure to watch the video on page one called the Reviewers View) then scroll down to the actual review. Confessions of a Part Time Audiophile, also gave them "Best of Show".
This will probably be the last pair of these Live Sound Designs will produce, and being sold at manufacturer's cost, so dont miss your opportunity to own a legend. Do not be fooled these are MUCH better sounding than the originals by RCA. I had a pair and sold them.
Frequency response: 30-16000 kz +/_ 3db.
Efficiency : 105 db
-Bass cabinets : 84"x32"x34"
Weight :500 lbs. per box, loaded
-Horns : 32"wx20hx24d
Wieght :4 10lbs

Knife smiths have techniques to help align the grain structures in steel. Thermal cycling is a method used after quenching. This also helps you get to the desired RC. Of course the quench is the real critical point along with using the correct quenchant Parks P50 vs Parks AAA both work well but work better for certain steels.

D2 doesn't have as good of fine edge stability as W2 or W1 (my favorite two steels to forge outside of forge welding cable damascus). Regarding damascus steels, in most cases they are aesthetically pleasing. I believe it was Nielsen that made a damascus pattern that looked like horses running down the blade, it is incredible. Mono steels these days are very impressive, but I still love my damascus.

Reactions: vinniedelpino