• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Talk wireless tell me what you think

bowtie4x4295

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2007
Prattville, ALABAMA
My contract with Nextel is about to expire and I am leaving. The main reason is that two years ago these bastards renewed my contract for two years without my permission. We argued and you can imagine how that went, basically I was told to prove it. Verizon has the best service around here by far, but they are high as hell especially if you add data and signing a new 2 year contract just isnt appealing worth a shit. Anyway Straight Talk prepaid has two plans one is 30.00 and the unlimited is 45.00 Phones aren't the greatest but they work, and if you get pissed just change. The big thing is that they are on the Verizon network. I just like the sound of the whole thing. What do some of you experts and phone junkies think. Check out the website and let me know if you have time.

Thanks Mike

http://www.straighttalk.com/

Re: Straight Talk wireless tell me what you think

My wife's only brother is a Verizon wireless store manager. He makes problems go away for us. Pretty easy choice.

He;s making noise about going into the insurance racket though so we may need to make a change. Or make friends with his co-workers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife's only brother is a Verizon wireless store manager. He makes problems go away for us. Pretty easy choice.

He;s making noise about going into the insurance racket though so we may need to make a change. Or make friends with his co-workers! </div></div>

That was certainly relevant to his question
grin.gif
But your right about the insurance "racket". Its like gambling....but the only way to win is to lose.

Im with Verizon because I travel a lot and their coverage and service is by far the best...with my wireless modem I can use the laptop while in the middle of the desert 100 miles from nowhere. If you dont travel, however, the Straight Talk may be a great deal. You might also consider Net 10 which is also $30 with phone, 2 chargers, earpiece, holster, 300 minutes, and great coverage nationwide. I have a buddy who uses that and he can get coverage at times where even Verizon fails.

30.00 per month = 1000 min + 1000 Texts + 50mb data
45.00 per month = Unlimited everything
NO CONTRACT and is on the Verizon network

I would like to have Verizon but, for a descent family plan your looking at 129-139 monthly and that is with no data. Once you jump to a data plan the price goes to 159.00 per month. We have three phones on the plan now. I dont think we would ever go over the 30.00 per month now which would only be 90.00 if we went totally unlimited it would be 135.00 per month. Lets not forget about the hidden charges as well. If you bill is quoted at 159.00 per month, which is limited, then you add insurance, all the taxes and fees it could get to between 175.00 and 200.00 REAL fast.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowtie4x4295</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30.00 per month = 1000 min + 1000 Texts + 50mb data
45.00 per month = Unlimited everything
NO CONTRACT and is on the Verizon network

Mike </div></div>

that IS a deal. You may have talked me into a change
laugh.gif
. The only question I have is how is service in remote areas, and do you incur roaming charges out of you local area?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was certainly relevant to his question But your right about the insurance "racket". Its like gambling....but the only way to win is to lose. </div></div>

Or sell it! Which is his objective.

Mike I talked to Mrs. Q and she tells me we have an unlimited plan that includes ourselves and our two girls. Since the rattle tap of texting is constantly going with those two, it made the most sense to avoid overages. We are $225.00/month range.

Well everything says no roaming charges, and it's on Verizons network. I guess I could buy one of their cheap ass phone and try it for a month, if I dont like it throw it in the trash and keep going. I know you can give them a debit card and the charges will come monthly and service will never be interrupted and you can port your present number. I was thinking about having it deducted on different dates for each phone. I think 30.00 here and there you wouldnt even notice as opposed to 150.00+ at one whack every month. They have a coverage map on their site, and you can pick up one of the cheap phones at Walmart along with the 30.00 30 day card.

Mike

You cant beat that - what about out of area calling? What is the footprint you can be in? Any off network/roaming charges on top of that? be sure and read the fine print on that. Most plans that have free roaming have an adder built into the rate for that as it costs them money.

I have T-Mobile and am very happy with them. They are rated #1 for customer service. I think they just released a $49.99 unlimited plan, but that was not with data.

Oh and you should be able to use an unlocked Verizon phone on their network if you want a different phone.

QQ, my daughter want to start texting, which is fine with me. She has discussed it with me which is one reason we are looking at these phones, they even have a little slider with a QWERTY keyboard. I actually prefer Verizon, but I dont see how anything they have right now can compete. I personally hate all the hidden fees you know nothing about until you open the bill and are screaming WTF.

Mike

Dont know if you have it there, but look into alltel, have had them for about 4 years now and couldnt be happier, its probably my 6th cell phone company and wont leave them unless they join with verizon (cant stand verizon)!

Clark Howard, who I think is a pretty good source for info like this, reviewed the Straight Talk plans last month and found them to be all they say they are with no catches or hidden crap.

No alltel here, Verizon bought them out. Which gives them a combination of all Alltels coverage and all Verizons coverage.

I am just really liking the NO CONTRACTS, at least until I decide I love it or hate it. Fear of commitment I guess.

Mike

Roaming -

"Roaming Charges: There are no roaming charges, because the phone will not work off-network. "

This would make major pain for me. I'd start out with the cheapest phone you can and check the coverage yourself in the areas you use it. Upgrade phones later if it is OK for you or abandon the service if not.

Kinda what I was thinking. I am pretty damn covered in Montgomery, AL. I dont travel very much, and still have the state issued phone, but it really sucks.

Mike

I was thinking of the same thing when I saw the commercials. I dont mess with with the fancy crap on the phones. So basic is good enough with me.
That almost sounds good enough to try for the 30bucks a month at least on a trial basis. The main thing I'd be concerned with is porting the # over. Would definitely be interesting to see how the "big" dogs react to what seems to be an unbeatable deal.
Just seems almost too good to be true, I know I'd be saving a decent amount to switch.
Bowtie..pm sent ref. current topic

I think there is a stigma with people that use prepaid, either the credit is bad or they are doing shady stuff and need a burn phone. Not that its deserved at all, just seems that way. Maybe that's whats holding me back, as not wanting to be perceived as such.

Mike

This is the first I had heard of Straight Talk. I googled "straighttalk wireless review" and couldn't find anyone who had anything bad to say about them. I'm looking into it.

C'mon Mike, join the prepaid crowd. I use a tracfone, around here they use the alltell towers which have the best coverage. I bought one their phones that has double minutes built in. I don't use it much and buy the big minutes to get the best deal. This ends up costing me about 120 a year or 10 bucks a month if averaged out. I don't text but you get 3 texts per minute. It's the cheapest phone and deal I could find, I can even take crappy cell phone pics.

No gugubica, you have to use one of their phones. I wish you could. I have read about issues but they were just about porting your number on a few occasions. But everyone loves the service.

Mike

Just did a little more reading and found some people with issues. As BT said there are issues if you transfer your old phone to a straighttalk phone. Those issues seem to disappear if, instead of trying to activate the phone online, you use a landline and call cs directly.

I have been doing a pile of research on this. Seems to be no issues at all if you get the new number issued to you. The issue is when you try to port your number. CS is outsourced to India or something so I am sure it sucks, but if it became a problem you could just quit them. I guess if you get the unlimited you could dump your home phone as well so 45.00 per month for hame and cell phone which looks pretty damn awesome.

Mike

I use a tracphone but I don't talk much on the phone - just a $19.99 card every 2 months or so (60 minutes every 2-3 months).

Best cell phone too, a cheap $14 motorola with excellent sound quality.

Interesting. I'll have to keep tabs on this thread to see if anyone updates it.

I got a sweet AT&T deal that isn't offered anymore, so we are staying. You don't get what we get(five phone contracts for the money with the rollover and everything else unlimited). Son Sam kills 1k texts by himself each month so the $45 plan sounds like a killer deal. Jump on it, besides, can't you find an unlocked phone?