• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Street Beggar Bust: Unbelieveable

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVSyw7TnODk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVSyw7TnODk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Street Beggar Bust: Unbelieveable

That woman gives a bad name to winos and homeless people.
Shame on her.
Some street thief should take note and snatch her purse every afternoon.

I do wonder how many of the beggars I see at intersections are doing the same thing.

<span style="font-size: 20pt">Parasites </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do wonder how many of the beggars I see at intersections are doing the same thing. </div></div>

A lot. There used to be a guy in Austin who parked his Mercedes around the corner .....

LOL, well at $50/hr I'd say she's doing pretty well. I personally never give away money like that but I don't because I suspect most of them are like this woman and even if they are legitimately 'in-need' than any donated money only further enables them to stay 'in-need'

Over the last several years I have asked people with signs that said " Will Work For Food" if they would like to help around my place with some clean up work for cash money. Both times I asked they were not really hungey at the time and were only accepting cash donations which I declined of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the last several years I have asked people with signs that said " Will Work For Food" if they would like to help around my place with some clean up work for cash money. Both times I asked they were not really hungey at the time and were only accepting cash donations which I declined of course. </div></div>

Not sure I would want most of the homeless street corner beggars to know where I live.
Might come back from work some day and find out they came back while I wasn't home and cleaned me out.

Years ago, my Mother was working at a small used car dealership. Her boss was going through town and seen a guy standing in front of WalMart with a will work for food sign. He pulled over and told the guy that he could come down to the dealership and wash a few cars for some cash. The man declined to the work, so my mom's boss went right into Walmart and bought a marker and a big piece of sign board. He made a sign that said "I offered this man a job washing cars, and he said no thanks, I just need money." He took the sign and went and stood right next to the guy that declined the job.

Reporter should have kicked the crutches out from under that piece of trash.

Or broke her back to let her feel what she had been faking for who knows how long.

I use to occasionally give money to people but after the same guy asked me for gas money at a gas station twice in 3 days, I stopped. I don't give anyone money except for family and friends that are in need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reporter should have kicked the crutches out from under that piece of trash.

Or broke her back to let her feel what she had been faking for who knows how long. </div></div>

+1. This pisses me off to no end. I understand some people need help and am happy to do so. Whether they use the money for gas, food, or booze, I don't care as it is their decision. This woman is despicable.

Begging is a "profession." Not as we might understand one, but it's pretty much institutionalized in Europe, mostly people, among them many Rom, sitting with signs and baskets. In the states, it's strictly a rap game in and around sources of ready cash and the gullible: I'm making an emergency oxygen delivery and the gas station won't take my debit card, I ran out of gas on the way to the hospital and the wife is having a baby, I'm trying to get home to Boston, etc., etc.

Spain: http://oreneta.com/kalebeul/2008/09/02/romanian-gypsy-beggar-dressed-up-as-bilingual-arab-beggar/

France: http://www.andrewfgriffith.com/keyword/poor/1/1468251982_JZrhJQw#!i=1468251982&k=JZrhJQw

Italy: http://euobserver.com/media/src/7d3fdedf9194b2a52c1d41b430488465.jpg

Who is John Galt?

I remember when I was much younger there was a big expose' about a group that used to panhandle on a real busy corner in an upscale neighborhood. There rouse wasn't as elaborate but the sob story would bring a tear. The newspaper reporter followed this woman for a couple of miles and got pictures of her getting into her new, red Corvette. Needless to say when that picture hit the front page, there wasn't a beggar to be found.

Another personal friend of mine got this sob story from a lady with kids in front of a market. Wasn't asking for money, needed groceries. He goes in, spends about $100 bucks, comes out and she's gone. Later discovered that her style was to play on people's laziness. "I want groceries, not money. But if you're too busy to shop for me just give me the money and I'll shop".

I've seen way to many things like this first hand. I'm to cynical to give a penny to a beggar. I'll help people who really need the help.

A reporter for a small paper in Portland wanted to check out street begging, so he got a sign, dressed down, and went out to a busy corner. After about 45min a guy came up and said, you've got an hour to be gone. He was an "organizer", scheduling various people to beg at different corners and protecting the spots.

Yup, a panhandler pimp.

I'm constantly running a group scammers from of my patrol area. A group of three-four men will dress rag-tag and get dropped off at various high traffic corners. They will hold signs asking for work, but will turn down all work ofers, but gladly accept cash and groceries from the naive people that fall for their scams.

I drove past one while responding to an unrelated call. He was just dropped off and I warned him to move on then I had to split. I checked him 45 minutes later and he had several bags of groceries and shy of $200.

Scammers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A reporter for a small paper in Portland wanted to check out street begging, so he got a sign, dressed down, and went out to a busy corner. After about 45min a guy came up and said, you've got an hour to be gone. He was an "organizer", scheduling various people to beg at different corners and protecting the spots.

Yup, a panhandler pimp. </div></div>

It's organized <span style="font-style: italic">everywhere.</span>

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Roma+beggars+meticulously+guard+Helsinki+turf/1135269788973

Wife gave $5 to a guy many years ago who was in a full length cast begging for food in front of a grocery store. On her way out driving home she saw him on a brand new looking mountain bike with the cast in a basket in front. She said it took everything she had not to run him off the road. Effected her so much that now if a beggar begins to approach she will initiate by asking them for money. Always makes me chuckle.

I remember seeing a similar story several years ago about similar activities. All tax free and the guy would walk around the street and get in his car. If she's getting 50 donations and hour she is making good money doing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-size: 20pt">Parasites </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do wonder how many of the beggars I see at intersections are doing the same thing. </div></div>

A lot. There used to be a guy in Austin who parked his Mercedes around the corner ..... </div></div>

It's rare that I go to the gas station locally and not have someone begging for money. A couple stories are kinda funny and some others got pretty heated. I just don't have the patience for these people anymore, fuck'em all. The ones that really piss me off are the ones that won't leave you alone after you tell them that you don't give your hard earned money away. Some just don't get it, if you ask me for money and I tell you no, there is no amount of bullshit you can spew to convince me to hand you so much as one red cent. I was fueling up my truck around 2 in the morning a couple months ago and had one come up from behind me and tap me on the shoulder, had no idea this sob was there, startled the hell out of me. He wouldn't leave it alone, talking about how he hadn't eaten in 2 days and all the usual bullshit they say. Then he breaks out the God card and talks about how he's a Christian and the reason he's homeless is because he's dedicated his life to serving "your" (meaning me) God. Guess he knows my religios beliefs too, huh? He got pretty irrate. I go in a pay for my fuel and the store owner, who always has a glock on his hip, asked what was the deal. I told him that the guy was begging for money. The store owner follows me outside and dude sees us walk out the door and runs about 20 yards away, stops and starts yelling at me for "telling on him". I get in my truck and put it in drive, look in my rearview mirror and see this fucker picking up a rock and just staring at my truck like he's going to throw it at me. That's when I lost my cool, I pulled my keys out of the ignition, jumped out of the truck and chased this mother fucker for a hundred or so yards with intentions of beating him to a pulp. Then my better judgement kicked in and I went back to my truck and left, haven't seen that peice of shit since, but hope I do again sometime when I don't have much else to do and have a paintball gun handy....

That gal is decent looking too! Scum but Id hit it!

I gave money to one once, but his sign read "out of work bank robber, need money for bullets".

^^^saw one guy with a sign, "not gonna lie, I just want booze". Figure, at least he's honest, chances are he's not a faker, I'll give him the change out of my cupholder for at least telling the truth haha. But otherwise, I've never given a dime to those people. The average person has no clue how much money they make.

I had a high school teacher who during the summer did an experiment. (he was a sociology teacher, kept records of it all) Him and a fellow teacher went to Minneapolis and took turns photographing from afar and begging, did this for a week. They averaged $280 A DAY. It's been too long, I don't know how many hours per day they spent doing it. Either way, beggars do just fine without my help, I'll let people who actually have emotions give away their money.

I thought I was the only one who knew those people make bookoo bucks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one now. And like someone said, I also hate it when they refuse to leave you alone. You asked, I replied, drop it and walk away damnit!

There is a QFC store I stop at on the way home when the wife has forgotten some critical supply needed for dinner. There is almost always beggars walking around the lot pestering people for cash when they get out of thier vehicle. But I have found that if I holster my XD "after" I get out of the car rather than before they will often not even aproach me, and if they do they have always understood no means no...

I don't see how it is unbelievable....I assumed the vast majority were not as bad as they try to look.