• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stripped barrel of copper arter 150 rds, mistake?

supermoto917

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area CA
I think I over did the cleaning when I stripped the copper off my rifle. The point of impact totally changed and took me about 40 plus rounds before the grouping started to get tight.So my main question is how many rounds does it normally take to lay down new copper on the rifling of the barrel? Any input on the round count before you clean the copper out of your barrel. Thanks in advance.
photo of rifle below and final grouping before I had to take off.
IMG_8801.jpg

IMAG0932.jpg

Re: Stripped barrel of copper arter 150 rds, mistake?

On a good quality barrel, none to a few.

I am not trying to make your barrel out to be bad, but bores with a rougher finish, take longer to shoot in

gel M-pro 5 woorks good to remove just the carbon. I have been using it since before it was popular to say on high dollar dvd's

Right on, thanks for that answer. it was interesting since the new point on impact was dead center but 4 inches up then it started coming down after a bunch of rounds. 40 bunch that is.

My friend had this problem until he found a bullet and a powder that didn't foul it up so bad. But realy, I dont see any specifics here as to BBL specs, load data, # of rounds, etc... so this thread really invites more questions than answers.

I don't mess with copper fouling until my accuracy drops off noticeably. I use KG12 but my intent is never to remove all fouling just some of it.

@ glockandroll,It all happened one night after a carbine class, when the wife and kids went to bed early and I had some free time. I just really wanted to clean the 2 AR's I used but some how the POF got dragged in the mix.

Rick, that's what I used but I'm not touching that for a while. i did use the KG1 carbon remover just to remove the carbon from Fridays shooting.