• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Stripped Screw Hole - McMillan Stock

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
Savage 10FP in a (from the factory) McMillan. Was checking the action screws prior to a zero check and moved on back to the rear trigger gaurd screw. It was loose (as in tight as she'll go and then one full turn loose). It's just a screw directly into the stock material (think wood screw). Went ahead and shot the rifle, screw stayed in, and rifle shot fine. But, I would like to fix this. Is there an epoxy, stock repair kit, etc...that I could buy to refill the hole and drill to accept the screw? Or should I send it off to be repaired? Curious on your ideas and opinions. Thanks.

Re: Stripped Screw Hole - McMillan Stock

I would reccommend a small bushing with a threaded hole to accept whatever size machine screw will work with your TG. Drill a hole the size of the material you make the bushing from in the location of the original hole and drill tap a hole in the center of the bushing. Epoxy in place....kinda like a miniature action pillar only with threads. Ive done many of these in both synthetic stocks and wood stocks and it solves the problem forever...filling the hole with epoxy and using the wood screw again will eventually lead to the same issue.

I like Kebo's advice. As he stated just filling the hole will lead to the same issue eventually, but the threaded 'bushing' idea should be a close to permanent fix. I would use something threaded on the outer surface to give more purchase for the epoxy holding it in place.

I like both ideas. Thanks for chiming in. I think we are gonna' run it to the end of the season here, and then send it away for a proper fix.

if you want a very temperary fix to keep from loosing the screw break a wooden matchstick off in the hole and reinstall the screw. You won't have to worry about it falling out at a match and it is easy to pull out at the end of the season when you get it fixed right.

the above will work fine.

Or, fill the hole with regular 2ton epoxy, let it set well, drill a pilot hole then screw it in.

I had one do this.. I used jbweld.. then screwed a pilot hole and it has worked wel fo over 5 years now..