• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stuck cases

deputy1515

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2004
Just bought an AR-15 from a guy who put it together himself...I know, I know...probably not smart, but I did it. I chamber a round, fire, the bolt opens and tears the rim on the case but the case won't come out. Removed case, cleaned chamber and tried it again. Same result. Any ideas? I should note that the case came out very easily and I couldn't see any obvious bulges. Could it be extractor tension? Bad chamber? Headspace? Help! Please!

Re: stuck cases

It sounds like a gas system problem. The bolt is trying to eject the case before chamber pressure is low enough. The case is still stuck to the chamber wall when ejection starts.

The fix is smaller gas port (adjustable gas block) and / or longer gas tube.

Good shooting
Ron

Torn rims, very likely not the ammo or the extractor; sounds like premature bolt cycling. The above post makes perfect sense to me.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Morrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like a gas system problem. The bolt is trying to eject the case before chamber pressure is low enough. The case is still stuck to the chamber wall when ejection starts.

The fix is smaller gas port (adjustable gas block) and / or longer gas tube.

Good shooting
Ron

I read once where you could drill and tap your eisting gas block for a set screw and then drill a hole in the set screw effectivly reducing the size of your gas port.
I have not tried this but if I recall It was a book written by the owners of "Accuracy Speaks" I cannot remember the name of the book, I will have to check it when I get home.
I'm not saying the gas port is the issue but is worth looking into.

</div></div>

I had the same issue several year ago. Not sure what was wrong because i replaced almost everything. If the barrel is chrome molly and not chrome lined the case may be getting stuck. Try some different ammo to include Wolf because its a hot load and steal cased. if you get it to cycle, the ream the hell out of the bore with a bore bush. i ended up putting the cleaning rod in a cordless drill, coated the brush in clp and ran it in the bore for a minute or two. Also look at the internals, may be an issue with cut down m-16 parts rather than real Ar-15 parts. Keep in mind the Ar is not a precision gun its an assault rifle or at least thats what it was designed for. If it were me, i contact the builder, its his problem to fix. If its gas, look at the carrier key, gas tube, gas rings, and front gas block for leaks. Also if you get double feeds, one round trying to get under the one not ejecting, most likely gas but also look at getting a D defender ring for the extractor.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I contacted the builder who is going to make it right. From looking at the bolt face, it looks like its really pounding the case. Like you said, it's the builders problem and he is going to take care of it. I guess I am just really interested in what it turns out to be.

Let me see if I'm tracking with you 11b30b4...

1. Replace everything and the problem will be fixed
2. Chrome molly will cause stuck cases
3. Wolf ammo will always function because it's a "hot load and steal case"
4. Trash the bore by running a drill mounted cleaning rod into it for a few minutes
5. AR's aren't precision guns anyways
6. If it's gas, look at the gas system
7. D defender ring will do something for the extractor

Maybe I missed something...