• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck suppressor need help...

Any chance placing it in a cheap ultra sonic cleaner would help? We use them to separate Ti parts with red loktite. Water and agitation could help
After boiling in water for an hour or so didnt work, I would try this.

quit dicking around with it, unthread the main body of the can off the ASR mount and keep it with you (the serial numbered part). Remove the muzzle device/stuck ASR mount off the barrel and send it back to Silencerco, they have the tools and knowledge to fix this properly. Channel locks and welding gas have no business around this problem and the water solutions have not worked out well for you, time to step aside and send it back before you (in your own words) screw something up. Too much time and money involved

You can temporarily use the direct thread mount which should have been included with the can until the ASR QD mount and muzzle device are "repaired" by Silencerco. For my bolt guns I use the direct thread mount anyway, the gas guns get a QD ASR mount as it weighs more.

Reactions: runningbear
Are you using anything to measure the temp? You would be surprised how long it takes to get everything in the vicinity up to 300 when you aren't just parking the torch in one spot.
ROCKSETT is not red loctite. You do know Rocksett is designed to withstand temperatures past 2000⁰, right?

Last edited:
OP is this you?

1616839721285.jpeg

Leave it soaking in a bucket of water for a week.
Stick the can in a vice with two blocks of soft wood on both sides between the can and the jaws with the asr mount sticking up. Crank it down until you hear the wood start snapping. You need it tight. The body of that can where all the baffles are is pretty damn stong and can take a good squeeze. Put the wrench in the asr and smack it with a hammer. Make sure the can isn't spinning. If that doesn’t work a 3lb sledge. If that doesn’t work slip a pipe or box end wrench or something to work as a breaker bar over the can spanner wrench for more leverage.
The outer sleeve may break loose first. If it does so take the front cap off and slide the sleeve off and then clamp back into the core. Don’t damage that serialized sleeve.
It’ll let loose. I have a bad habit of letting carbon build up until it’s locked on and do this often.
If you can feel the carbon built up along the inside of the can with your finger you kight crop the can in some clr for an hour or two to free that issue up a bit.

quit dicking around with it, unthread the main body of the can off the ASR mount and keep it with you (the serial numbered part). Remove the muzzle device/stuck ASR mount off the barrel and send it back to Silencerco, they have the tools and knowledge to fix this properly. Channel locks and welding gas have no business around this problem and the water solutions have not worked out well for you, time to step aside and send it back before you (in your own words) screw something up. Too much time and money involved

You can temporarily use the direct thread mount which should have been included with the can until the ASR QD mount and muzzle device are "repaired" by Silencerco. For my bolt guns I use the direct thread mount anyway, the gas guns get a QD ASR mount as it weighs more.
I was suggesting this earlier but edited it after reading his initial post again I believe the stuck portion is the threads between the mount and the can vs the mount/brake

I just sent mine back 3 weeks ago as the asr mount was carbon welded tot he can. It was fixed and returned within 10 days or less. Door to door. They may just be quoting a very liberal time frame but realistically mine was quick.

I was suggesting this earlier but edited it after reading his initial post again I believe the stuck portion is the threads between the mount and the can vs the mount/brake
Yea his initial post is not real clear at all as to what exactly is improperly glued together. Either way it needs to go back to the factory for professional help. Having the correct tools and fixtures will make short work of this. Kind of like trying to open a can of fruit with a 10” chef knife instead of a can opener.

Reactions: runningbear
Yea his initial post is not real clear at all as to what exactly is improperly glued together. Either way it needs to go back to the factory for professional help. Having the correct tools and fixtures will make short work of this. Kind of like trying to open a can of fruit with a 10” chef knife instead of a can opener.
Agreed

When put together by hand with Rocksett my initial advice is boiling in water then using 2 strap wrenches or something similar to attempt to pull apart. After that sending it in or using it (because that’s why you put it on there in the first place) then send it in on the off season if you think it’ll be an issue

I've been applying he
Second the boiling water for Rocksett. I believe the rolling boil helps the water "work it's way in", although I could totally just be making that up.

The last one I dealt with wasn't budging after my usual 15 min boil... so I left the muzzle in a pot on the stove, rapid boil, for 45 mins. I attacked it while it was still hot, and it popped right off.

Wear thick gloves.
Yup, I back this up. Rocksett is designed to hold on when locktite melts, but is designed to breakdown in water. I had to boil a QD brake for about 20 minutes and then let it sit in the water for a while and it came right off.

If you used Locktite RED then getting the joint (where the threads meet) to > 300F will likely work.
If you used Locktite GREEN then you need > 500F at the joint.
If you used RockSet then you probably will damage something because the heat requirement is far too high. Try a chemical and mechanical approach. If the joint exceeds 90 Lb-Ft - you probably won't be getting it apart. At that point, try raising the temp to the point where the metal glows … or accept defeat, and learn from the experience.

I say do nothing and drive on.

Dude, I've got an Omega 9k that I've used with ASR mounts for a while. I've got a couple mounts for pistols but the last time I swapped it out it was still new and only fired a handful of rounds... it was a pure bitch and I didn't use any thread locker.

Even if you hadn't thread locked it on there, it'd seize up after use anyway. I'll probably have to send mine back in if I wanna change mounts.

If I were you, I'd just fucking leave it and call it good. You plan on using some other mount besides the ASR? If so, then you're gonna be back to square one like I just said, thread lock or no you won't be getting that motherfucker off easy, ever. Large dia. + fine threads? Forget about it.

So I've got several of these cans, Saker's and that Omega 9k. One uses a MAAD mount and the others are ASR's. With the exception of the 9k, none of the others were ever taken apart, hell, they could be welded on the last few years and I wouldn't have known it.

So unless you actively plan on swapping mounts from ASR to MAAD to direct thread, etc., I'd say "fuck it" and leave it. Because if you ever DO need to take it apart in the future, it'll likely have to go back anyway because carbon buildup will be worse than thread locker in those fine threads.

Finally, those threads are so fine that my concern is flat out stripping them due to the force it takes to separate that damn can from the mount housing. And you can only clamp a suppressor in a vise so tight before you risk smashing one. Back to "send it back" then if taking it apart is a must.

One last thing:

You should have two wrenches, right? Clamp one in the vise and hold the can up to it and attach the other wrench. Balance just right so it all doesn't fall apart...

That's gonna give you all the leverage you're gonna get with respect to taking that thing apart. You can put a piece of conduit or water pipe on the wrench to give some more leverage but be careful, if it doesn't slip and send your arm flying over the vise it can strip out those fine threads if you manage to get a solid enough bite with those wrenches.

If you can't do it that way, you're likely not gonna be able to do it.

If you're trying this with both wrenches in your lap it ain't gonna work.

If you can get a third hand to help out, using a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer can help by tapping the wrench until it breaks. I break 90% of shit that way and it's a lot easier, uses less force and less risk of damage. Painters tape can help with scratches and contact scars if that's an issue.

If you run three or four full mags through that can rapid fire, I promise you that thing will be hot enough to soften that rocksett. Quickly clear the weapon out, Have a buddy hold the rifle while you put the spanner wrench on and give her a couple whacks with a mallet.

or you can pull the can body off of the asr mount, which would give you a more direct access to blast the threads and break with a torch. Or water if you want to run that route too.

If you run three or four full mags through that can rapid fire, I promise you that thing will be hot enough to soften that rocksett. Quickly clear the weapon out, Have a buddy hold the rifle while you put the spanner wrench on and give her a couple whacks with a mallet.

or you can pull the can body off of the asr mount, which would give you a more direct access to blast the threads and break with a torch. Or water if you want to run that route too.
^ obviously does not know anything about rocksett

@TxWelder35
Perhaps not, but I’ve had Omegas I’ve rocksetted together still start unscrewing themselves before, after they got hot.

Also, every brake I’ve ever installed using rocksett, I’ve been able to break loose after applying heat.

@TxWelder35
Perhaps not, but I’ve had Omegas I’ve rocksetted together still start unscrewing themselves before, after they got hot.

Also, every brake I’ve ever installed using rocksett, I’ve been able to break loose after applying heat.
Then you could have broke them loose without the heat.

But in any case none of that matters because he isn’t worried about the brake.
And he can’t pull the body off the asr. That’s his issue!

Reactions: Desert_Racer
New to the forum and to suppressors. Received my SilencerCo omega 300 and when installing the ASR mount I read the instructions wrong and applied rocksett to the threads then tightened onto the suppressor. I did not use a torque wrench just my hands. A couple days later I read that rocksett was only supposed to be applied to the barrel threads for the brake. When I went to remove the ASR mount with the supplied wrenches it didn't budge.

I've researched and tried removal options others have posted, to include leaving in hotwater overnight, putting in the freezer, using a propane torch to heat, using a leather strap wrench, tapping with a rubber mallet and ordered a vox blox. This morning I applied some penetrating oil to the mount and let it sit for the day. Got home and put it in the vox blox and first tried the SilencerCo wrenches, no go. Used the propane torch to heat where the mount screws into the suppressor and then a pair of channel locks on the ASR mount and the mount started turning and I thought I had it but noticed the mount was turning with the silver part that is attached to the suppressor and was moving independently of the suppressor body itself. First question is did I ruin my suppressor and if not does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.
Can you post a picture of what you're trying to do it might be helpful to see. Is this thing stainless steel if you get stainless too hot it can sometimes guald the threads and then you're screwed

I had this happen once, soaked it in Kroll oil for a bit, screwed right off

I've used oxy acetylene to soften red Loctite, but we had to get those 1 1/2' bolt heads orange to get them to loosen. Have also seen studs held in with the red, break free at 1000 ft-lbs torque. I realize Rocksett is different, but I'd send it in so nothing gets ruined and chalk it up to experience...

Unless you need to take it off right now, I would shoot it some, then send it back. Maybe shooting with change something just enough that you can try again and get it off.