• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stupid move broke lower installing trigger gaurd

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
I was installing the roll pin in my AR lower and the pin wasn't moving to easy though the trigger guard. Like an idiot I gave it a good wack and cracked the reciever at the part were the roll pin goes though by the grip. I ordered a new lower. Is it worth getting it welded? Im picky and don't want to see any marks. Its probably not worth fixing since its only $100 for a new lower.

Re: Stupid move broke lower installing trigger gaurd

Not worth it, not going to weld very good either. Use a support block next time. Bummer

I've welded a few for friends, it's a pain, not worth the price of the lower. And it
still needs finishing, which all ended up with flat black touch up. There are a couple
of pistol grips available with the trigger guard on them. That is your other choice.

Epoxy that bad boy! Like someone already mentioned, use some sort of block next time; I use a roll of electrical tape. Install the grip side first and it will help keep the guard in place while driving in the pin, which will prevent breakage if the opposite ear is supported by a block. Also, use a punch that is about the same diameter as the pin and wrap them together with tape to help hold the pin until you get it started.

I am done building AR's for my use, but I always recommend lowers that don't use roll pins. Quentin Defense makes a great lower that has a built in guard and a threaded pin for the bolt stop for $150. The extra $50 gets you a bling blingin' billet lower that is aggravation free!

Save it and put it right over your bench as a reminder...

I think magpuls Miad grip has a front strap with trigger guard built in. 7075 is a bugger to weld, especially coated. might as well epoxy it if you want to go that way

Glen I don't know If I would even attempt 70 series aluminum. I think they (the
industry) considers 70 and 20 series aluminums un-weldable, at least by mortals
like me. Just out of curiosity have you tried welding with 2% thoriated on aluminum? I am starting to see articles stating it is a better way to go.

I did the same thing several years ago. Found a good TIG welder and had it fixed. But I could have bought another receiver for about the same money.

Yeah thats what I figured. Im a dick I had a block just didnt think. The guard was way too tight thats what killed it. Id sell it for $50 to an FFL if anyone whats her. Just need to wait for my new one.

You could just get one of these grips from magpul and rock on. Thats what i would do.

a122bd84b10a39218442a888ea36c563.jpg