• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stupid question about putting together 223ai

big_matt_duq

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
southwest pa
so I have a 700 p 223 coming in and already talked to the smith about rechambering it to 223ai. I figure I can at least fireform a ton of brass with the factory barrel and then down the line blueprint and rebarrel. then I would already have Ackley brass to play with. I was considering restocking it with either a rock solid or manners/McMillan. my 260 has a McMillan a5 bdl inlet on it now and was going to have someone (likely GAP) inlet it for a ptg bottom metal I have laying around. so here is where the dumb question comes in. I assume I could just swap the a5 to the 223 and run it as is as a bdl. now could I have it inletted and instal the ptg and use 223 ai polymer mags? I have heard it can be an issue with savages but what about the remmy? would the rock solid take either 223 polymer or 308 aics mags? the main use of the 223ai would be groundhog and coyote hunting. should I just inlet the a5 for the ptg and keep it with the 260? sorry for the dumb questions but I have never played with the aics system and really want to get it right the first time

thanks,
matt

I swapped 223 and 260 and 308 barrelled actions on my rock solid and the 223 and other mags were inter changeable.

With the BDL setup the mag box and follower are different for 308 vs 223.
You could still use it but it'd be a single shot setup.

You know in my head I knew that but I wasn't completely sure. I came across the krg x ray last night though and I believe it would be perfect for this project.

I figure I can at least fireform a ton of brass with the factory barrel and then down the line blueprint and rebarrel. then I would already have Ackley brass to play with.

Are you saying that you are going to attempt to form 223AI brass in the stock 223 barrel? If so, you are just going to end up with fireformed 223 brass. You can't fireform AI brass in a regular chamber.

Your best bet is to wait for the barrel to come in and form the AI brass in the actual barrel you will be shooting from. In many cases, your fireforming loads will be nearly as accurate as the future loads with the fireformed brass.

No gunsmith is gonna rechamber the factory barrel. I have 1000 pieces of lake city brass coming in to play with. I'm thinking if this barrel shoots decent it will stay on for a while and if not at least I can form my brass.

No gunsmith is gonna rechamber the factory barrel. I have 1000 pieces of lake city brass coming in to play with. I'm thinking if this barrel shoots decent it will stay on for a while and if not at least I can form my brass.

Roger, that makes more sense. :D

As stated above, you should be able to find plenty of people willing to punch the barrel out to AI.

That is good to know the different mags work fine in the same rifle.
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to rebarrel unless you can''t get the factory one to shoot.
I use Final Finish on factory barrels and can usually cut my groups pretty much in half.
The .223 Improved is a pretty cute little cartridge and you can usually still shoot .223 accurately in them.

that's what I meant. I already talked to the smith and he is going to rechamber it for me for $175. im going to shoot the factory barrel (if it shoots good) till it poops out or I really get the itch for a new barrel. hopefully it shoots good and I can just run it until its burnt up. anyone have an idea how many rounds 223ai barrels last on average. I know its pretty variable based on how you treat them but I don't expect to get it real hot or abuse it. I did decide on a krg xray for the stock though.

Gun is back from the smith, mounted in the x ray, went with Talley lightweights that I lapped to save weight, and atlas mounted. Just gotta mount the scope and load some ammo. Its a nice setup. As described above without the scope I'm at 11 lb 2 oz. So add 16 oz for the mark 4 and just over 12 lbs. Not too bad for a versatile target/groundhog/predator gun with a 26 inch barrel. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

Let us know how it performs, I'm starting the same project. I have an SPS Tactical in .223 that I've put in a Manners T5. I'm going to be ordering a .223 AI reamer soon.

Well got to shoot it yesterday. Gotta say I'm a little disappointed... Only because this rechambered factory barrel shoots as good or better than my customs. Needless to say im thrilled. Broke in the barrel and started shooting different loads I made in 0.2 grain increments. 53 grain vmax over 26 grains 8208xbr was amazing. I knew I pulled the first one a little but the next 4 went in one hole. One very small hole. Forgot the target in the truck which is in the shop so I don't have any measurements so I will hold off on saying how good it was. I was shooting 110 yards.