• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub $200 Bipod?

brian2382

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2018
Hello, Ive been a long time lurker in the community. I recently decided to jump in and purchased a Tikka T3x A1 in 6.5 Creedmore. I also just jumped in the backlog for the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 mil with the EBR-2C MRAD reticle as they have an excellent military program.

That said, I still don't know shit. I have a lot to learn and will take it one topic at a time. While I wait on the optic to come in (they said 6 month back order), I'd like to buy the accessories I need now. First up being the Bipod. I see a lot of talk about LRA, Elite Iron, Pheonix, Atlis, and then not so positive things about Harris (why?). When I was looking up prices I was shocked to see all of those Bipods (minus the Harris) are around $450. I won't be able to sell my wife on that, I don't think I can even sell myself on it.

I plan to shoot mostly prone, up to 1,000 meters eventually. Hunting and target for now. What would you recommend as the best bang for your buck bigpod? Definitely less then $200, but ideally less then that as well.

Thanks guys, I look forward to you answers. If I am missing crucial information, just let me know and I'll edit it in!

edited: I made my decision and have purchased the Atlas BT65 for $185 shipped as today is the last day for its new product 20% off sale. I'm excited for it and want to thank all of you for helping me!

Last edited:
This ^^^. It will do everything you need it too

Where in the hell is an Atlas bipod $450?

An Atlas BT10 V8 is a little over $200 and will do anything you need.

Under $200 it's hard to beat a Harris with notched legs and swivel.

I see, so correct me if I am wrong, but that would be either the HBRMS or HBLMS. What is the best way to determine which Height to choose? 6-9 or 9-13. I am 6' 180lbs athletic build, but don't have much experience with quality bipods.

Why does Harris seem to have a negative connotation in the over 1k subforum?

Where in the hell is an Atlas bipod $450?

An Atlas BT10 V8 is a little over $200 and will do anything you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Bipods-Bipod-Lever-Custom-BT35-LW17/dp/B06XD2FDB9 is the one I saw. I'll check out the B10. How does it compare to the Harris other then 'better' lol

Agree. A Harris with notched legs that swivels and a podloc is a great, solid choice. Depending on your size (thickness of chest or belly and rifle) you will have to determine if a 6-9" or 9-13" is what you need. Sometimes folks make the mistake of getting as low as possible and then can't achieve a good neutral position or get a lot of back/neck pain.

edit. was typing as you responded. being a 180lb athletic build you will probably do well with the 6-9". It seems to be the most popular height.

alright awesome, You guys are stellar! I will begin the hunt for the 6-9" harris notched legs and swivel for the best $$. whats the recommendation for a mount for the Vortex Viper? I was thinking a Larue one piece, but whats your opinions on that? Or what should I be taking into consideration when purchasing ?

Personally, I say forget about the LaRue one-piece scope mount and go with Seekins, Nightforce, ARC or Badger 2-piece mounts. There's no need for a one-piece unless you just gotta have one and any of the others I just listed as two piece mounts are rock solid and under or near $200. One piece mounts, if you gotta have one, look at Nightforce, Spuhr, or Geissele.

I'll check out the B10. How does it compare to the Harris other then 'better' lol
It's easier and more forgiving to load
It's a lower profile under the rifle
Its feet provide a better grip on all surfaces
Its legs can be deployed to more positions than all the way up and all the way down
Its legs deploy only when you want them to, not when you bump the lock button on something
It already comes ready for attachment to a Pic rail

What makes these different from say the BT10 V8 ? I thought pan would be a good thing, is that not desired?
It's all personal preference and the only way you can truly decide what works best for you is to try them all. Pluses for me on the CAL over the B10 are.
1 none rotating feet
2 wider stance (more stability)
3 And I personally dont care for the pan feature of the B10. I want my gun to recoil straight back and if you get to far off center I feel that the recoil could do some funny things in theory.
4 you also get the quick and easy locking feature. this is a huge plus.
This bipod is basically all that the Harris wishes it could be.

Best bang for the buck is Harris, simply because it's about $100 cheaper. I've had the Atlas before, just decided I liked the Harris better. Both are good, real world split among experienced precision shooters is probably 50/50 between Atlas and Harris so anyone who says "x is better than y" is just being opinionated in favor of what they own.

As noted above 6-9" Swivel Notched leg is what you want. Be sure to add a Pod-Loc lever, those are a must have IMO since they allow you to actually adjust the tension on rifle cant without needing a pair of pliers for the knob.

Best bang for the buck is Harris, simply because it's about $100 cheaper.
By the time you add a pod loc and a decent pic rail adapter (like Badger Ordnance) those savings are gone.

By the time you add a pod loc and a decent pic rail adapter (like Badger Ordnance) those savings are gone.

The OP's rifle is a Tikka T3x A1 and comes equipped to run either sling stud or with a pic rail section. I would not recommend the OP spend the money on outfitting a Harris with a QD pic rail adapter since he wanted to keep the cost down. Just attach it to the sling stud.

The OP's rifle is a Tikka T3x A1 and comes equipped to run either sling stud or with a pic rail section. I would not recommend the OP spend the money on outfitting a Harris with a QD pic rail adapter since he wanted to keep the cost down. Just attach it to the sling stud.

The rifle has MLOK rail, so wouldn't I need a rail adapter for both of them? Or am I missing something?

The rifle has MLOK rail, so wouldn't I need a rail adapter for both of them? Or am I missing something?

Yes, I think you can get MLOK adapter for either Pic rail segment or a MLOK adapter for a sling stud mounting point. The discussion about costs above were related to the thought that you would get a Pic rail segment, then swap out the top half of the Harris bipod with a QD mount like what ADM makes. That would add another $80 to the cost of the Harris and make it about the same as the Atlas. My point was that it would make more sense from a cost perspective to just use the existing sling stud mount on the Harris via an MLOK sling swivel adapter.

Well I really appreciate everyone's help on this. Super useful information and I made a decision. I'm a sucker for a good deal so pulled the trigger on the new Atlas BT65 while they have that 20% off for $187 shipped. The Harris + the pivot attachment which was $25 would have brought it up to $140 shipped so figured its not all to much more at that point. Hopefully this thread can provide useful to anyone in the future looking for bipods as I was. Surprisingly there wasn't all to much on the threads when I searched.

There's been much discussion in the past about not buying Harris knockoffs, since it puts American jobs overseas. I rather think the horse may already be out of the barn on that one.

I find that I can buy an Amazon/China sourced Harris clone for well under $50, and while I do feel a genuine pang of regret over buying Chinese sourced products, I also feel somewhat unmoved since I'm dealing in all but a small sector of the entire market.

Bipods are a valuable tool to the average shooter on this site. I find that my clones are no cure-all answer to the deriving a stable shooting position, and offer the simple fact that often one gets their money's worth, and often they don't. Being able to start without breaking the bank can have its benefits. The bullet doesn't care how much your bipod costs, and if it serves your needs at a more frugal cost, all the better.

Greg