• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub $2000 hunting scope

Cccook8

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2020
Florida
Looking at picking up a new optic for my primary hunting rig. The weapon is a 300 WSM with a 24” barrel. I had the rifle build to be my one and done hunting rifle. Currently have it topped with a Vortex razor LHT. Comfortable shooting 400yds at game and out to 800yds at the range. Although the majority of my shots fall within 200yds.

Toying with the idea of putting the LHT on another rig and possibly pickup up a scope in the $1000-2000 range for the short mag. I have been looking at the Swarovski Z5i line of scopes. Something with the BRH reticle as it seems the BT has had some trouble over the years. Not sure if they have fixed the turret issues or not. Wanting something that fairly light weight (~20oz), around the 3-15x mag range, good optical clarity and great low light performance.

Question would be is there much of a difference in the glass between the LHT vs Z5? Any other optics that y’all would recommend for a mid range hunting rig? Living in the south east it’s hard to find dealers that have any hunting optics in that price range to view before purchasing. Thanks

Reactions: billymagg
z5’s are junk.

In regards to LHT.. search around for POI shift LHT on rokslide.

Ez pass on both.

Ur criteria on 20oz leaves basically all known reliability scopes off the list. Personally i’d Up it 6-8oz and hit the gym a wee bit more and have something that’s good good glass and bomber

Lrhs will built for this task. Start there

Haven’t had good experience with Bushnell in the past. Kind of a scope I’d like to try and avoid. I feel as if there as to may scopes to come back to them

You’ve puked an elite tactical?

Heard of it.

Don’t think i’d say it’s common tho. Have had a herd of them the last 6-7 years.
The 3-12 got flogged more then most will do in a lifetime. It’s top tier for hunting if weight is a concern. George At GAP did Good work.

Pat Sinclair is reviewing the mark5 currently over on the campfire. Leupold has a long history of sucking so I don’t think one scope will sway me but i know they’ve been selling pretty well and the internet isn’t full of scopes brewking.

Wanting something that fairly light weight (~20oz), around the 3-15x mag range, good optical clarity and great low light performance.
Hopefully i'm wrong, but the AFAIK closest versions are mid-20's...like 26/27

I'm in the minority here, but I'm pretty happy with my nx8 on my 24" 300wsm. It does fisheye around the edges at max power though. It's something that I'm use to with hunting scopes. Tactical scope are built heavier and longer to get around this. It is a sacrifice by going light, compact, and 8x erector.

If you don't like the LRHS/LRTS, the AMG is hard to beat.

Suck up the extra weight for the added performance.

I did have a AMG, and I liked it. The 6x base might be too much depending on hunting area though.

How willing are you to compromise?

Weight or mag range?

NF 2.5-10x42 is a pretty solid optic in my experience and you’re only shooting 400/800 might work for you. The SHV line might have what you’re looking for but I never read the best things about them.

If you bump the weight 8 oz you expand options considerably and is where I would compromise.

Reactions: Aescobar17
If nightforce would put the milquad type of reticle and make the wind holds 3 mils in the nxs line and make it ffp... oh man. That’s a bitchin combo

But sfp in midrange scopes is a bandaid for poor reticle design.

the bushnell lrhs was a good set of compromise.i killed a lot of critters with the 3-12mountedon an 18” gasser
718F836F-5193-44F8-BF58-EE05066CA44E.jpeg

Eurooptics had a Mark5HD 5-25 demo for $1700. Tough to beat that. I bought a NF demo and it doesn’t even have a scratch on it.

I am happy with my 3.6-18 MK5. It has been on several hunts and packed around and not babied. 10 days in AK, backpacked around AZ and CO a few times. Shot about 400 rounds on my 7 ss at multiple range trips. MK5 is a better build quality than other Leupolds.

There aren't many scopes to dial in the lightweight category that I would run. I am getting an LHT to see if it works for me, if not another MK5 it will be.

Reactions: supercorndogs
20 OZ will be tough especially with illumination. Eurooptic has a Lecia Magnus 1.5-10 around 2k. Comes it at 22 OZ. If your rifle has a 24" barrel cut a few inches off and let the scope be a bit heavier. I sold a Magnus 1.8-12x50 a d picked up an SB Zenith. Both good scopes, but I wish I had my Leica back.

Take a look at the SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP; 24 oz. @ $699
I have a SS 5-20x50 HD ($1300-1500)on my LR hunting rig that has been through a lot of rough country and still getting the job done.
Only real drawback to the SWFA is the lack of reticle selection. Their Mil-Quad is a newer take on the standard mil-dot, I like it. YMMV.
Good luck in your quest.

this one?

I dont think too many guys (especially fudds) are subjecting scopes to any sort of regular or intensive drop testing, or dialing and checking good and positive rtZ and zero retention.

C00FBE10-9257-4F0B-BB6B-8B59B8FA2B69.jpeg

20 OZ will be tough especially with illumination. Eurooptic has a Lecia Magnus 1.5-10 around 2k. Comes it at 22 OZ. If your rifle has a 24" barrel cut a few inches off and let the scope be a bit heavier. I sold a Magnus 1.8-12x50 a d picked up an SB Zenith. Both good scopes, but I wish I had my Leica back.
I have the Leica Magnus 1.8-12 I got for a 7mm. Definitely the nicest scope to look through I have or have seen in person. Seems like I just wave it in front of my face and I can look through it. I was originally worried I’d want the 2.4-16, but am completely happy. If I could change anything, I’d get the illum model next time. The fact it’s one of the best lowlight scopes on the planet helps too!

How’s she do on the drop test?

I dropped me rifle on the way up to the tops. It was good and sighted in and buttoned up good and tight. And a good solid clatter traversing a scree slope and she went wonky (but I didn’t know that)

had a good bull at just a tick under 500 and sent about a mag full after it.. knew something was a bit messed up but knew if I got real close, real steady, at bow range i’d Be fine.

Was after a meat animal anyways so I crept inside of 50 meters a big mob of nannies and still barely caught vitals on this wee fella.

She’s a bit steep at the tops.. real bluffy and loose rock.

B28FC62C-632E-4CAE-B973-0459FC5B0D3D.jpeg

I have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 on my 300 WSM. Comes in under 20 Oz. I have never done a tracking test and only ever had it to about 320 yards. It has not had an issue with it tracking for that small of a distance and back again. My only complaint is that the windage turret is mushy and cheap. It is capped though, and wouldn't use it in the field anyways. No illumination, and it's the only scope in Mils in that particular line.
I know there is a love hate relationship on here for certain Leupold scopes. But for hunting, it serves my needs just fine.

I’ve looked at the AMG but with a base mag of 6 it’s just a bit much for the style of hunting I do. I’ll look into the Leica and MK5 a bit more. Not to interested in the vx5 as I don’t feel it would offer anything over the LHT that’s currently on the weapon.

I am really looking for a scope with similar functions to the LHT but with better quality glass. Not agains scopes that are a little heavier but really wanted to hear if guys had any inputs on the Z5i. I know they’ve had tracking issues in the past if you dial them but what about with there BRH reticle? Anyone have any comments of the reticle design?

once you have something in your sights, its all about reticle and tracking/zero/no poi shift etc; the mag range on amg is a problem for getting crosshairs on target quickly, so thats legit issue; and any issues with poi/zero shift etc...better "glass" is usally overrated in terms of getting shots on target...and usually underrated in observation/bino spotter etc

Reactions: Cccook8
once you have something in your sights, its all about reticle and tracking/zero/no poi shift etc; the mag range on amg is a problem for getting crosshairs on target quickly, so thats legit issue; and any issues with poi/zero shift etc...better "glass" is usally overrated in terms of getting shots on target...and usually underrated in observation/bino spotter etc
I do a fair bit of pig hunting at night that’s why the glass quality and lowlight performance was emphasize. I find there are times when the LHT just doesn’t cut it in lowlight.

Might have to suck it up and start looking at something like the X5 from swarovski.

Reactions: Bravo6
@Cccook8 Decent options above. Another one to look at for comparison would be the Maven RS.3 scope. It is in the 27oz range and has 5-30X zoom. The zero stop isnt the best as an external locking ring like a reloading die, but works well enough. I have tested it for return to zero and tracking and have seen no issues. I have it on my 6.5 PRC and its been great.

Reactions: Holliday
This is the first negative I’ve seen so I went poke around and don’t see any thread about losing zero or anything.
I’m with you, I have one that I bought because of the overwhelming positive reviews. Mine has proven to track perfectly. I can’t say that I expect a 19 oz scope to have no issues being dropped in large rocks and having no ill effects from it. But I’m not putting a 30+ oz scope on a lightweight rifle! For a hunter who wants to keep the optics weight down to 20oz, has amazing glass, a super user friendly reticle, capped windage and accurate tracking the Razor LHT can’t be beat.

I have a custom rifle on order and plan to put a NX8 4-32 Mil-XT on it. Rifle should come in at 8.6lbs w/ scope and rings.

Reactions: Cccook8