• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sub $350 scope 1in tube help.

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I need a mildot scope needs to be more than 10x, for my m77 243 target. Under 350.

Under $350 with a mil-dot and a 1" tube would probably lead me to a bushnell elite 5-15x40 or a nikon buckmaster 6-18x40. Just not allot of solid options out there in the 1" higher magnifications.

Just be forewarned on the Nikon scopes. If you plan on using it to hunt with were it is cold, you better be good at holding your breath. I have had 5 different Nikon scopes and they are very very nice scopes for the money. But they fog up really bad in cold weather if your breath hits the lens forget it. It will be a while till it dissipates enough to see to shoot.

Hawke Optics has some in their Varmint line. But SOS, moa turrets with mil reticle.

Just be forewarned on the Nikon scopes. If you plan on using it to hunt with were it is cold, you better be good at holding your breath. I have had 5 different Nikon scopes and they are very very nice scopes for the money. But they fog up really bad in cold weather if your breath hits the lens forget it. It will be a while till it dissipates enough to see to shoot.

Zeiss conquest scopes are the same way. Caused me to miss a shot at 2 different whitetails.

That is why Nightforce adapted a windshield wiper to their lenses.

Because the OP is a Cyclops and a 30mm would be like pointing a magnifying glass at his oversized bulging eyeball. That is also why he needs more than 10x with a 1" tube. Come on, jeez.

cyclops3_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I own 2 Nikon scopes and agree.
However, if I could suggest an easy fix? Clean-up with your favorite anti-fog/cleaner.
I use stuff called "Viewdoo" I picked up at a Crossroads Gun Show. Works very well on scopes, glasses and goggles.
Seems to be "coating-safe". They sell it on-line @ http://www.vantifog.com/
I have no association with the company other than liking their product. Lots of alternatives out there that do the same thing.

Last edited:
Budget - I understand ...
1" rings - sorta understand ...
Mil-dot - sorta cool ...
10x+ - makes sense, but not with all the above.

Just get a Bushnell 10x40, it's mil-dot, it's 1", it's $200, and you can twist the knobs till you turn blue ....

This. Don't let the low cost scare you off. I have had 3 for going on a decade. They function as advertised, the customer reviews are quite accurate in my experience. Ther 's no application I have tried where they fail to do the job, although for hunting up close, I would look into the 2.5-10x version, especially in a dimmer environment.

Greg

Last edited:
That is why Nightforce adapted a windshield wiper to their lenses.

Vortex optics will not only replace the scope if it fogs internally, they will also send someone to wipe the lenses for you while in the field. How is that for service?

Cannot believe nobody has yet recommended the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 from Midway...or its cousins, the Blackhawk 3-9x40/3.5-10x50.

I get that the OP wants >10x magnification...but still...

Vortex optics will not only replace the scope if it fogs internally, they will also send someone to wipe the lenses for you while in the field. How is that for service?

i wouldn't be surprised if they did :cool: they really looked after me .