• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic .308 Newbie guidance

Sivispacemparabellum022

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2017
Ok guys, I’m not new to the reloading scene but I am new to subsonic. The atf finally decided to approve me after more then 12 months. I’d like to start reloading for my .308 savage. I don’t even know where to start. I can’t find anything in my books, I’ve research some online, seems most that I saw were using trail boss and 175gr and heavier. Is trail boss the best? Can you use you IMR’s or Vargets for subs?

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Ok guys, I’m not new to the reloading scene but I am new to subsonic. The atf finally decided to approve me after more then 12 months. I’d like to start reloading for my .308 savage. I don’t even know where to start. I can’t find anything in my books, I’ve research some online, seems most that I saw were using trail boss and 175gr and heavier. Is trail boss the best? Can you use you IMR’s or Vargets for subs?
from my knowledge of reloading subs Trail boss works best because its a less dense almost "fluffy" powder. 11gr of trailboss almost touches the base of the bullet for my 208gr ELDM loads compared to the same weight of Varget just barely covering the bottom of the casing. so to answer your question, you "can" use varget/imr for subsonic ammo Trail boss is the better option though. heres a link to an article about Trailboss in 308 https://rifleshooter.com/2017/09/reduced-308-winchester-loads-with-trail-boss/

Reactions: Gibble888
I have limited experience with subs in my shorty 308, but here’s what I’ve got. 110 V-Max with one level 3.1 cc scoop using Lee’s kit (15 grains +/- 0.5) of IMR Trailboss, Win primers, mixed brass (HSN, Nosler, Win) loaded to 2.490”. Worked OK on tin cans in the backyard. Quite, but nothing like my 300 BLK and Titegroup. No experience with the heavies.

And no, I wouldn’t use Varget. Be careful with reduced loads on most powders.

I have limited experience with subs in my shorty 308, but here’s what I’ve got. 110 V-Max with one level 3.1 cc scoop using Lee’s kit (15 grains +/- 0.5) of IMR Trailboss, Win primers, mixed brass (HSN, Nosler, Win) loaded to 2.490”. Worked OK on tin cans in the backyard. Quite, but nothing like my 300 BLK and Titegroup. No experience with the heavies.

And no, I wouldn’t use Varget. Be careful with reduced loads on most powders.
reduced loads with rifle powders can fail to Ignite or give you squibs (from what I've heard, if I'm wrong please correct me)

My load was using Trail Boss and Sierra 220g round nose projectiles. I landed on 10.1g of TB seating those bullets at 2.8" OAL. Shot them out of a suppressed 20 inch barrel, quiet as can be.

My experience with subs is pretty much the same as the other posts, 10.5-11 grain of trailboss ( can’t remember load exactly right now) with a 208 amax seated at 2.850. Get me right at 1050-1070.

Can you use you IMR’s or Vargets for subs?
Yes those can be used, rather expensive but they have there place depending venue. I would suggest you get a ton of experience with subs using TB an fast burning pistol/shotgun powders before using those, unless you have The ABILITY to REGROW body parts.
Depending on your goal (paper/steel vs meat/varmints) or just plinking there are many different powders from the fastest to the slowest that will work better for a given combo in a give venue. There are 1/4 moa sub loads that will dot an eye every time at XXX yardage, but suck past XXX range, then there are sub loads that will do an eye socket too XXX range but are worthless anywhere else on the same critter. Then there are loads that will drop a 300# critter if placed into a vital spot but are 1.5-2 moa loads. The sub world is much harder to work in vs high speed, do to all the variables that come into play with such low pressure. In the H/S world most of these minor variables are not even given a second though.
Remember when you pull the trigger an the firing pin starts to move, if you have hosed up that load you will find out very quickly. Double charging a sub load can be dangerous, an double charging with a wrong bullet,... WILL BE,... a life changing event,...many have had to learn this lesson the hard way. Go slow, an record everything an you will start to see a pattern with all combos, once you fully understand what is happening, then start stepping you game up.

I am also a subsonic nubie and have been reloading for over 40 year. I just started some subsonic research this week. It seems a good powder to start with is IMR Trail Boss. There is a good article at:

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/03/subsonic-308-win-handloads/#ixzz6TdAoX4nT
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Subsonic .308 Win Handloads – Testing & Understanding

Ammoland Inc. Posted on March 23, 2017 by Josh Wayner

By Josh Wayner

I load Hornady 225gr BTHP at 2.800” using CCI 250s. Started at 9.9gr of Trail Boss and worked up to 12.1.

12.1gr ended at 975fps with an ES of 13 over a 10 shot group out of a 20” R700.

Very quiet with an AAC 762-SDN-6.

I load Hornady 225gr BTHP at 2.800” using CCI 250s. Started at 9.9gr of Trail Boss and worked up to 12.1.

12.1gr ended at 975fps with an ES of 13 over a 10 shot group out of a 20” R700.

Very quiet with an AAC 762-SDN-6.
Which powder??

I use trail boss; and lapua subsonic 200 grain; or 30-30 projectiles, unless you have a fast twist barrel on your rifle; always test stability at the muzzle prior to launching shit through your can, I do this by putting a cardboard box at the muzzle and firing a round through it. Using long bearing surface bullets in a slow twist bbl with low velocity is a disaster waiting to happen

Hey guys. How is subsonic .308 at medium distance like 300-600 yards? In terms of accuracy only. I would love to work up some sub loads but I am not sure how well low velocity .308 is at over 100 yards for accuracy and grouping?

Unless you are building a purpose built sub sonic rifle, this is like using a screw driver to hammer nails; use the right tool for the job
It can be done but to what point?

Hey guys. How is subsonic .308 at medium distance like 300-600 yards? In terms of accuracy only. I would love to work up some sub loads but I am not sure how well low velocity .308 is at over 100 yards for accuracy and grouping?

Reactions: Len5E1
Unless you are building a purpose built sub sonic rifle, this is like using a screw driver to hammer nails; use the right tool for the job
It can be done but to what point?
That's what I'm looking for, thanks. I already have a 300blk sub so I see no point if it doesn't make sense.