• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Subsonic bullet idea

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
I was looking at that subsonic bullet design shown on Corbin's site (http://www.corbins.com/subsonic.htm) and got to thinking... why wouldn't a larger version of that copper plated segmented bullet CCI uses in their new .22LR subsonic round work even better?

It would be easy to create the core if you had swaging equipment. Corbins sells an X-punch for doing exactly that. It's shown here in the other Corbin brother's book on page 5: http://rceco.com/img/RSBook3.PDF Plating the bullets looks relatively straight forward a kit Caswell Platting sells. They actually have an application note on plating lead bullets: http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=8

I don't see why a larger version of that segmented bullet wouldn't also work in subsonic centerfire rounds.

Re: Subsonic bullet idea

Whatcha trying to say willis?

They already make similar projectiles you can load subsonic like that.

Whatcha trying to put it in and I'll tell you where to look.

I know they make bullets like the ones on the Corbins page, but that isn't what I'm after. I want a segmented 30 cal. hollow point bullet in the 150-180 gr. range for a 308 Win. subsonic load. Looking for frangmentation instead of expansion.

I want to make a 30 cal. version of these:

images-2008-0074.jpg

It should be an electro-plated lead bullet... not one made using a conventional jacket.

Is that copper one a Grizzly? I saw them at a gun show, but the guy who makes them seemed like a dick. I asked if he was going to make any in .30 caliber and he was like "Why?" Maybe he was just messing around, but the humor wasn't there. Anyway, I love the design and the idea, and I hope they come out in .30 cal. Just wish someone else made them.

Regards,
Nate

A segmented, plated bullet would be a whole lot cheaper to make in bulk, would have a higher BC for the same length and would have better (more reliable) terminal ballistics.

I could turn those out myself on my CNC mill. But, they would be pretty spendy and time consuming to make in bulk. If I went that route, I would be tempted to just modify an existing bullet on the mill.

I was wondering when ? you were going to put-up a Pic. of one of those BAD MutherFkers.
Those .338's are the, " Spawn of Satin's CNC. "

Got a ?
were can someone find some sub-sonic .308
like EBR ?
just throwing it out there

I have not a clue as were to buy pre-loaded factory sub-sonic ammo like sold by EBR. I only load my own & have "only loaded subsonics" for .308. .300wm, 30-221 . No way I would trust and waist my money to buying another persons/EBG & retail store-bought subsonic loads with there preference to my subsonic needs and what my Barrel likes to group.
Not sure you would want anyone doing Subsonics for you . Subsonic Vel. Load can be a picky to pin-down the sweet spot for best performance due to different barrel twists, lengths & projectile weight.

I bought 2 boxes of EBR subs 2 weeks ago. The MV (and corresponding POI) were all over the place. I shot one box and am going to send the other box back to them. Nice guy on the phone- just poor quality (at least in my rifle - to be fair). So I load my own with trail boss and Sierra 30-30 170gr Flat Nose and viola- sub moa at 1040fps. My only problem is my dillon press (550b) and the RCBS dies don't work well togther.