• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Substitutions for Varget in 308 w/ 155 Scenars

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
As the title states, I'm looking for alternatives to Varget for 308 loads using Winchester brass, CCI #200 (also have some #BR2 and some Fed 210M), and Lapua 155 Scenars.

As I'm sure you all are well aware, it's a real pain in the ass to get a hold of powder right now... especially Varget it seems. So I'm just looking for a handful of alternatives that I could use until this shitstorm blows over and it all goes back to normal (fingers crossed).

Anyways, It gets really hot here in AZ during the summer, and I'm moving to MN in a year where it gets really freaking cold during the winter. I'm looking for a temp. insensitive powder that'll work well with the 155's in a 308.

I got my hands on a pound of some VV n550 but at 44 bucks I've not been wanting to use any of it... I actually found three pounds each of H335 and H414 sitting in an ammo can that I completely forgot about. But I'd rather not use any of that if I can find something else.

I've been told H4895/IMR4895, BL-C(2), n550, IMR4064, and RL15 would be good ways to go. Are there any others that I should pick up if I come across them?

If it helps at all I'm shooting a Rem700 SPS-V with the factory 308 barrel.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

My best,
-Dylan

Re: Substitutions for Varget in 308 w/ 155 Scenars

AR Comp and 8208 for the 155s. Both temp insensitive and burn rate close to Varget. Know a few guys that shoot em and like em.

Varget still available at third generation shooting supply. I use a lot of Viht powders. Not sure how much you shoot but I use it all year round. I know its a little spendy but easy to find. For hunting purposes it gets the job done, as much as I would like to I'm not in the long range game.

Reloader 15 or IMR4895 worked good for me.

I'm a big H4895 fan. Is similar to IMR4895, which I also like, however H4895 is temperature insensitive and IMR4895 is not. I believe Powder Valley Inc has the 1lber H4895 containers back in stock.

RL15 probably not so much in your AZ climate. H4895 or IMR8208 should do better. I shoot the 8208 in 6BR (hot load) for LR Bench and have never had pressure issue shooting temps from 35 to 100 degrees.

Ignore all the RL15 haters. I've burned oh 100 pounds of the stuff in the last 8 years, including in AZ. Does it produce a steeper pressure curve than some other powders, like N140, N540, and Varget? Sure. Just a characteristic of the powder. HINT: don't hot rod the crap out of it with the heavier bullets and it will work very well. Of interest to note, about half of that 100 pounds was repackaged bulk, right off the M118LR line at Lake City.

RL15 and H4895. Staples of the standard capacity cartridge world.

Keep in mind H4895 was "the" powder prior to Varget coming to the US market. H4895 came back in favor a few years ago when Varget was getting too slow and bulky to get 3000 FPS out of 155s for Palma rifle use. Varget appears to be back up to snuff density and speed-wise, at least the last few lots I tested, but I stocked up on H4895 a few years back when Varget had issues.

I just purchased some CFE 223 as a possible replacement for Varget (.223 & .308). Haven't done any loads yet, but I read some pretty interesting reviews about accuracy and velocity.

IMG_4316.jpg

IMR 4064

I have transitioned from RL-15 and Varget to the PowerPro2000MR. It is my powder of choice these days.

H4895 has given me the best accuracy and velocity with 155's. 45.5-46.5 will work. If your not worried about temp sensitivity N150 is damn near phenomenal in a 308 with 155's and 175's. 47.0 for 155's and 45.0 for 175's. ( and 185's loaded long) which would make me think that H414 would work as the two are very close on the burn rate chart. But N150 is finicky and gives little warning to " wow that's alot" levels.

Shootforfun, the secret is getting them above 2900.. That's when they start to shoot well.....

I have about 1 pound left of an 8lb keg of H335 I bought back in '89. I have not forgotten it but simply am not using it right now. IT is fine. How old is that powder that you "don't want to use"?
If it doesn't stink with an acrid smell and have a reddish dusty look then it is in all likely hood fine.

I fear that a great many primers and powders have been stockpiled at various times since '93, and eventually found their way to a premature death as wasted components, thrown out because their owners were less than savvy about real shelf life.
Smokeless powder isn't penicillen .

47grs RE15 works very well for me with 155AMAXs.

IMR8208 works well in my 308's when I am out of Varget and runs about 10fps slower.

When consumer panic mode kicks in, it seems like Varget, RE15 and TAC are the bread milk and water of the reloading world. The VV powders are more expensive and not as popular across the broad range of reloaders and are usually the only things left. N135 is a good sub for 4895, N140 for Varget and RE15, etc... Alot of people use them or the 5xx versions exclusively and there is a ton of data out there. If that's all you can find they work, maybe not as well as your usual, or maybe better. There are also a whole lot of powders that aren't as popular that can be used as well. It does suck to pay $25 for a pound to try and work up new loads though. I have had good results with H322 and 155's as well. Just never messed with it alot. There are a ton of options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMR 4064 </div></div>I'm with Gunfighter on this, RL-15 2nd, H4895 3rd.

Okie

RL15 and Varget are interchangeable in my 308 with 155 SMKs or Lapua. 45 gr of either give me 0.25 to 0.5 MOA groups.

In Idaho and Colorado everything is gone, so I would suggest whatever you can get your hands on. The Vihtavuori N500 series powder is all temp insensitive it is more expensive but perhaps available due to the higher cost? Good Luck