• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Suggest FFP scope under $2300.

Cbmax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
New Jersey
Hi All,

I would like to get into long range tactical matches. I am going to take a class some time early this yearin PA. I already have an AICS custom .308 rifle, but I need an appropriate scope.

I am pretty set on getting something with matching Mil/Mil turrets / reticle.

So far my top pick is the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 with the EBR-3 reticle. Another scope up for consideration is the IOR 6-24x50. I think this can also be had with a Mil/Mil reticle. I think I'd rather have just a little more top end magnification than not enough. Reason being, I might be able to spot hits or markers through the scope.

I know some of you might say to just bite the bullet and buy a Schmidt & Bender, but with the other equipment I still want/need to buy this year I just can't justify it.

Please let me have your thoughts.

Chris

Re: Suggest FFP scope under $2300.

I've watched 2 NF F1's go used on the forum for 1900 in the past 2 weeks. If you keep your eyes open you could snag one of those screaming deals!

Do I need to make sure I get the updated eyebox or is this really a non-issue?

I am interested in the EBR-3 reticle.

CB

I have to say that the Razor has far exceeded my expectations. This is the toughest scope I've ever owned. I fondled a IOR 3.5-18 and was not nearly as impressed with build quality. I can't quantify it any better than that, it just did not give me warm fuzzies at all... and I really wanted to like it.

I thought I would like the EBR3 too... ended swapping it out for the EBR2... consider well before you jump.

John

John,

I looked at the EBR-2 reticle. I just thought it might be too busy. Now there is the EBR 2A reticle which puts the numbers against the verticle cross hair.

For me I thought simpler might be better.

I appreciate the feedback!!!!

CB

The EBR2 looks busy in the drawing, but it's not really distracting in the field. I like the "christmas tree" for quick follow up holds. It also works amazingly well if you want to shoot golf balls at 800 yds... dial down, right 1 mil and use one of the dots as an aiming point for precision work... much finer than the reticle.

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Razor.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John,

I looked at the EBR-2 reticle. I just thought it might be too busy. Now there is the EBR 2A reticle which puts the numbers against the verticle cross hair.

For me I thought simpler might be better.

I appreciate the feedback!!!!

CB </div></div>

IMO, the EBR-2B has a busier reticle (than the EBR-2) with the numbers being right next to the vertical cross hair instead of being on the far right side of the reticle. Another thing to consider with the EBR-2B is that if you use the reticle for holdovers on the right side, the numbers may obscure you target.

Just something else to consider

Agreed, go EBR-2 and dont look back. You will never notice the dots unless you are trying to use them, then theyre beautiful. The 2B is getting great reviews so far too, so thats a judgement call for you.

My post is not related to the above, he posted while I was typing. My suggestion is for a Razor obviously

I plan to try and nab a Premeir one day in the future a could be over the 2,300 a little but I feel like they are really good scopes.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24x56 FFP IOR with MP8 reticle Mil Mil,don't look back.</div></div>

I agree!

I own one as well. I have never handled a Razor, but I am very pleased with my IOR.

IOR 6-24x56mm ffp is cheaper by $200 over Razor, and it has more magnification. The glass in my IOR is fantastic. Both have excellent Customer Service. The Razor has been through the snipers hide field test. To my knowledge, the IOR has not.

Either way, Scott @ Liberty Optics is the man to buy from.

USO 3.2-17 ERGO:

SN3-1700

Base price $2010
No options selected.
ERGO - Standard Option
44mm Low Profile - Standard Option
EREK 1/10 MIL - 175.00
U.S. #1 1/10 MIL - Standard Option
30mm - Standard Option
Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing - Standard Option
Mil-Scale MPR - 86.00
11 Pos Rheostat (Red) - 185.00
Lo Profile Housing - Standard Option
Rapid Focus - Standard Option

$2456

Skip Illumination or get one used. Or call USO direct or PM doc76251 and see what the best price theu can do is....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I thought I would like the EBR3 too... ended swapping it out for the EBR2... consider well before you jump.

John </div></div>

How much was this reticle swap? Does Vortex do it on the lower end scopes as well or only on the Razor?

Used Premiers are in that price range. I don't want to be a gear junkie, but with places like The Hide to buy and sell used gear, you can often buy and use a used piece of gear and if it doesn't work out, sell it for about what you put into it.

I see 5+ scopes that might work for, depending on tastes, in the for sale forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24x56 FFP IOR with MP8 reticle Mil Mil,don't look back. </div></div>

I would go with the IOR 3.5-18x50 rather than the 6-24x56.

A base model USO might neally be in your budget ??

Vortex Razor or Nightforce F1.

In no particular order:

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50mm $1999.

Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50mm $2290. (can be had w/rings)

IOR 3.5-18x50mm $1779. (w/rings)

USO 3.2-17x44mm $2326. ($ varies depending on options, but this one has 44mm ergo, MIL adjustments #3 & #1, Gap reticle, and Illumination)

That's your world of new FFP MIL/MIL Illuminated scopes in your price range.

All will work.

Bob

Of the options you listed, I would say the Razor but I think the guys tell you to watch the used ads are spot on. You will get much more for your money there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomstick308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

John </div></div>

How much was this reticle swap? Does Vortex do it on the lower end scopes as well or only on the Razor? </div></div>

Mine was returned for a minor warranty issue and they graciously gave me a new EBR2 when I mentioned my regret. (WOW
shocked.gif
). IIRC, Scott said they would be offering reticle swaps and there would be a charge, but I don't recall what it was and cant find the post. You should PM him or contact Vortec CS, if you're interested.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes, we can swap reticles. The charge for doing this is $150.

Scott </div></div>

...or wait about 17 minutes for tt350z to post it.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24x56 FFP IOR with MP8 reticle Mil Mil,don't look back. </div></div>I agree, if you don't need the 24x you might want to check out the 3.5-18x50 as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi All,

I would like to get into long range tactical matches. I am going to take a class some time early this yearin PA. I already have an AICS custom .308 rifle, but I need an appropriate scope.

I am pretty set on getting something with matching Mil/Mil turrets / reticle.

So far my top pick is the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 with the EBR-3 reticle. Another scope up for consideration is the IOR 6-24x50. I think this can also be had with a Mil/Mil reticle. I think I'd rather have just a little more top end magnification than not enough. Reason being, I might be able to spot hits or markers through the scope.

I know some of you might say to just bite the bullet and buy a Schmidt & Bender, but with the other equipment I still want/need to buy this year I just can't justify it.

Please let me have your thoughts.

Chris </div></div>

Maybe I can help you out some by throwing other scopes into the mix for comparison as well as my opinions whether right,wrong or anything in between
wink.gif

If you prefer high mag,excellent glass quality,wide low profile 10 mil knobs and ZS and don't plan on shooting extreme long range much then the IOR 6-24x56 is a fantastic scope.It has 16 mils elevation.I like the bobcat tail on the mag adjust and the push button illumination.Only the floating dot illuminates though.

Ditto for the IOR 3.5-18x50 except 22 mils elevation.The entire reticle illuminates on this scope.I consider it slightly more versatile than it's big brother.

You have 20x mag for the Razor but are limited to 5 mil knobs.IMO,it's a step down in glass compared to IOR but has a great reticle and outstanding warranty.It has 36 mils elevation.I liked the fact that you can perfectly center the POI on the crosshair when sighting in as the clicks are disengaged but I dislike the tall knob.

You mentioned you would rather have more mag than less.I'm that way myself kinda.I will say that the high speed knobs,zero stop and new reticles have made the NF F1 a whole new scope to me.I haven't been missing the higher mag so far with mine.The F1 is almost compact in size and light weight compared to the other scopes I've mentioned and something I'm recently discovering is very important to me on my go to rifle! I just bought a new F1 ,the glass is excellent.I'd rate it a 9 out of 10.My older NF 5.5-22 is more like 8.5 out of 10 and my IOR 6-24 a 9.5 out of 10.My buds Hensoldt 6-24x72 as the standard to be measured by,being a 10 out of 10.The F1 has 30 mils elevation.

If you didn't need illumination and could wait till summer the March 3-24 FFP could be the game changer in this category of scopes.I'd like to get one to try out because it's about the same size as the F1,focuses down to 10 yards,has 24X,10 mils knobs,ZS and hopefully 10 out of 10 glass.

Hmmmm.....

I wasn't even considering a Nightforce as I wasn't aware that they came out with new reticles just for the F1. I like the MLR2 reticle.

Decisions, decisions.

FWIW I don't like the Schmidt & Bender reticles as they do not provide any numeric reference marks. Under the stress of a competition, I could see the numbers coming in very handy. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the great help. I will let you know what I end up with.

CB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW I don't like the Schmidt & Bender reticles as they do not provide any numeric reference marks. Under the stress of a competition, I could see the numbers coming in very handy. Just my 2 cents.

</div></div>

You got to be smarter than the scope
wink.gif
I know plenty of people, including myself, who have no problems with not having numbers next to the mil markings.

From your choices either the Razor or F1 with one of the new reticles would be a good choice. I have owned and used both and they work well.

Robo,

I am expecting whatever scope I purchase to do everything except physically pull the trigger. "I am not a smart man" done in my very best Forrest Gump accent.

I with your budget i would pick a razor. i was very impressed with mine.
The NF and USO are great, but dont offer the ffp and high power the op wanted .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I with your budget i would pick a razor. i was very impressed with mine.
The NF and USO are great, but dont offer the ffp and high power the op wanted .</div></div>

I didn't know USO made a SFP scope??

At the time i got my USO for 2240$ I don't know if they're still going for that price or what.