• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for moving a safe

Slash0311

Snafubar
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Southwest Indiana
    Im going to be getting new carpet soon and need to move my gun safe. Its 1100 pounds empty and was put in place by the sellers when I bought it new. They used a power dolly.

Does anyone have tips or suggestions on moving it myself that won't cause issues on the new carpet?

I remember one company suggestions a trash bag full of golf balls.

We move safes in the course of business all the time. Moving on carpet two 3/8" steel rods about 24" long and a piece of plywood
    works the best for us.

Reactions: Slash0311
    Used an older version of this to move a few, works like a charm! Not sure the official name, my uncle called it a refrigerator dolly, it's 2 pieces and way easier than a normal hand truck style dolly for heavy stuff.

Attachments

• 5607.jpg
      5607.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 27
    pay to have a pro do it better they break something and have to replace what ever than you move something and pull something and have to eat the cost or doctor bills .

I agree with cudaowner. Even if you use pipes which works very well it’s a 3 man job. If you are by yourself just hire somebody.

Reactions: shoobe01
    Thanks for the replies. With my room layout, I'll probably try the iron pipe way. I have a little time yet so I'll research these ideas.

I also used gas pipes from Lowes. Worked great. Even pushed it up a small ramp and changed direction 90°. Does take a few people to push. It was easy to tilt forward by opening the door. This was a big safe.

1" PVC works great on carpet, you just have to leap frog it as you move. On a hard floor we use carpet flipped up-side down. I moved a huge Browning safe like that. Rock the safe up, fold the carpet in half, shove it under the side you rocked up. Rock the safe up the opposite side and unroll half the carpet. Then push.

I'd call the company you bought it from and see what they'd charge to come move it around for the carpet installers. Some things just aren't worth messing with if you're going to do it once a decade.

IF, you or others you know life weights, then strip the barbells and dumbells and just use the bare rods. They're solid, generally 3/4" in diameter, and you probably already have them on hand.

Just be sure to have plywood down first, then the rods on top of the plywood, then the safe on top of the rods. You really do want to 'spread the load' over your floor.

Just have them lay carpet around the safe.
    I kinda did this. We replaced some fairly new and still in good shape carpet with much higher end carpet. But I didn't want to move my safe so I left the original carpet in the closet where the safe was located. I did end up moving it and replacing the carpet with the appropriate carpet about a year later when we finished our basement and had the carpet guys out for that.

I moved an 1800 lb milling machine with a pinch bar and some black-iron pipes (3/4"). Not when I was young and stupid either. Nope, this was when I was old and stupid (last year).

Best advice:
    Hire some mexicans to do it.