• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suggestions for steady hands..

Re: Suggestions for steady hands..

Ritalin...

laugh.gif

I do sports medicine and we often times deal with athletes who have either anxiety performance issues or hyperadrenergic output status - just a fancy way of sayin' that some folks push out too much adrenaline (epinephrine and a couple of its cousins) during performance - especially in a static (relatively) circumstance - like shooting! The end result is that this does cause happy fingers as well, difficulty with visual focus and breath control. Good snipers can also slow their heart rates and actually time their trigger pull to correspond to the mid point in their heart beats - a real asset in limiting extraneous movement. As we age, the "brakes" on our nervous system loosen up and more random electronic impulses escape from the brain and cause uncoordinated muscle activity which also decreases our accuracy. A very good medicine to control this is inderal or toprol. These are meds used to control high blood pressure and certain cardiac rhythm irregularities, but they work very well to help with the shakes that occur during shooting. Yes they are prescription items and they are illegal at the Olympic level. Using them for the purposes you described is off label, but if your MD is so inclined and there are no contraindications to using them, they work well in low doses and are very inexpensive. FWIW

I am always amazed these days at how fast people want to resort to meds (whether Rx or OTC) for curing what ails them. I don't know anything about your particular situation, medical conditions/diagnoses, or other possible "causes" for your twitchiness, but look to environmental contributors before you resort to meds. I have seen this happen a LOT and the best advice I can give without knowing more is LAY OFF THE CAFFEINE. No coffee, tea, soda, etc. at least a couple of hours before shooting. Same with high amounts of sugar. And the big "DUH" would of course be any form of energy drinks/supplements.

Short of that, maybe look into what biofeedback can offer you before you hit the pill bottle (especially with a beta-blocker like Toprol which has a long list of possible side effects). Train your brain/CNS to work for you instead of against you.

Good luck and keep shooting!

I was previously diagnosed with tremors a few years back, but took some prescriptions that seemed to stop them at the relaxed level. They are still pretty prevalent when Im stressed though. I've also got hypertension, which I dont take anything for, besides exercise. Im wondering if thats my issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was previously diagnosed with tremors a few years back, but took some prescriptions that seemed to stop them at the relaxed level. They are still pretty prevalent when Im stressed though. I've also got hypertension, which I dont take anything for, besides exercise. Im wondering if thats my issue? </div></div>

Depending on how high your BP is running, you will certainly experience problems keeping steady when shooting. On top of that, high BP can effect your breathing and your vision as well which will only further cause you problems when shooting. If you are unable to get your BP under control with diet and exercise, I would definitely consider speaking with your doctor about other possible solutions. Shooting issues aside, prolonged high BP can lead to a LOT of other health problems that you don't want to deal with if you can possibly avoid them (heart attack, stroke, kidney damage, limp noodle, etc.). Obviously, I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but I would suggest a frank discussion with your doc or docs about your questions and concerns and see what they can do for you. As they say...talk is cheap (unless you are talking to a lawyer)!!
wink.gif

Good luck to you, brother.

Hey, I'm a doctor.
If your doc suggests meds, you ought to take your meds. We give 'em 'cause you'll live longer, better, happier. You'll see better longer, fuck into older age, have fewer, later heart attacks, and stay off dialysis.
If you have a tremor, too, and are prescribed a beta blocker (metoprolol, Toprol, propranolol, atenolol, carvedilol) your tremor will be less as a bonus, so you'll shoot better.

We not uncommonly give beta blocker to performing artists, public speakers to help with stage fright related tremor and voice quaver.

PT and weight loss rarely hurt, too.

Along with all of these meds and suggestions ask yourself this, are your arms and hands shaking because they aren't used to holding out a firearm for an extended period of time. I am reminded of boot camp when the D.I. used to make us hold out our rifles with arms extended out in front for long periods of time when we got into trouble. I thought it was just a punishment until i got to the rifle range and found out how it had toned and strengthened the supporting muscles used in holding your firearm properly. use wieghts to get those supporting muscles stronger then your hands and arms will hold tighter and on target.