• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions on Factory AR-10 in 6.5cm

bhook31

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2020
I’d like to get a semi-auto in 6.5cm, either 18 or 20” barrel. I’d much prefer to buy a factory gun, and $2300 is my ceiling on the stock firearm, and I’d like the stock gun to be closer to $1900-$2000. I want a gun that is reliable and good to go from the start. I don’t want something with a reputation for being finicky. I don’t expect the gun to be a .5 MOA gun or even a .75 MOA shooter. I’d be really pleased if it was a consistent, repeatable and reliable .9-1.0 MOA. Obviously the more accurate the better, but I’d rather it be a trusty and durable gun that shoots 1MOA, than a .5MOA hammer that doesn’t cycle or feed reliably.

With that being said, I’m leaning towards the Daniel Defense DD5 V4. Would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on this gun, or if you think a different one will fit the bill and why!

I’d like to get a semi-auto in 6.5cm, either 18 or 20” barrel. I’d much prefer to buy a factory gun, and $2300 is my ceiling on the stock firearm, and I’d like the stock gun to be closer to $1900-$2000. I want a gun that is reliable and good to go from the start. I don’t want something with a reputation for being finicky. I don’t expect the gun to be a .5 MOA gun or even a .75 MOA shooter. I’d be really pleased if it was a consistent, repeatable and reliable .9-1.0 MOA. Obviously the more accurate the better, but I’d rather it be a trusty and durable gun that shoots 1MOA, than a .5MOA hammer that doesn’t cycle or feed reliably.

With that being said, I’m leaning towards the Daniel Defense DD5 V4. Would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on this gun, or if you think a different one will fit the bill and why!
Anyone?

+1 for rolling your own w/ Aero components, I built my own on mega receivers but if I were going factory, I would get a GAP10.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Seekins. Can find 20, 25 and 30% of certificates too.

FF9C2EAE-71A4-485B-90EF-C08CDE2C87E6.jpeg

I just got a DD5V4 Hunter edition. Absolutely love the gun. It’s a shooter too. Consistently shooting .75 MOA with factory ammo. No regrets buying it

Check out POF they have a 6.5 creed that if it follows POF tradition will shoot the light out. I am a huge fan of everything POF piston driven guns. my 415 14.5 " will clover leaf 50 grain varmit tips. at 100

I really like the Savage MSR Hunter in 6.5. Already shot a couple groups around a half inch at 100 yds only. They also have the long range and precision model that is still a few hundred under your ceiling.

I’d like to get a semi-auto in 6.5cm, either 18 or 20” barrel. I’d much prefer to buy a factory gun, and $2300 is my ceiling on the stock firearm

I would recommend the Savage MSR-10 LR. It comes from factory in shootable layout, and I've only added a trigger and different compensator to mine since I bought it. And yes, I'll commit SH heresy by suggesting it over the other factory 6.5's, with the possible exception of the (far more expensive) JP.

Be aware that the first production run had a few clinkers in it. Stick with serial numbers over 5000.

Having shot many of the currently available 6.5's, the Savage has several features I am unwilling to give up.

1. Non-recip side charger. Most of my shooting with this rifle is prone, and operating the bolt without moving your head from weld, is just the way it should be. Rear chargers blow while shooting prone, and they blow hard.
2. Savage did not copy the bulky AR-10 receiver format, and instead shorted the entire upper receiver assembly, resulting in a lighter and handier feeling gun that just feels better in all positions (to me). Maybe with longer arms you'd prefer the longer AR-10 format, but I don't. I'm 6'0". It is my observation that the recoil impulse by the shorter action Savage feels somewhat moderated and significantly less slammy as well. Most other AR parts still drop in, but not the upper receiver or bolt carrier.
3. Most customers report factory groups in the 1/2"-3/4" using developed loads right out of the box (and that was my experience as well).
4. Excellent and easy gas block adjustments on the fly

I've been a JP fan for years, and to me, it appears Savage copied the best features of the JP, added the shortened receiver, and popped out a really sweet rifle. It has all the things I liked about the JP, plus a few significant improvements, without the extra large price tag.

If you're thinking about competing, get it in 6mm instead of 6.5. The total lack of recoil in the 6mm is a real advantage. With the 6.5, my moderately hot match loads, and the better APA compensator, the muzzle jump is minimal, and its easy to stay on target when I do my part. You can really hose down targets out to 600yds with ease (A buddy and I have been doing Bill Drills with them at 600yds. We load 10, and use a timer, and score them as time divided by hits - the smaller the number, the better the brag).

I swapped out the trigger for a Gieselle, and replaced the comp with an APA, and changed out the handgrip, and that's it. The thing is a laser, easy to shoot the way long range guns get shot, and I've spent far less than a lot of other gasser shooters for a better rifle for task.

Just built an Aero M5 with S-One handguard, and Criterion Nitride 22" barrel. Shoots 1/2" like it's nothing, all day long. Don't be scared to roll your own. I would be wary of the Savage as a lot of the stuff is proprietary if you want to change something. If you want cheap(ish) and reliable, get a S&W MP10.

At the $2k mark, definitely Seekins. As has been stated, pick up a discount coupon and run with it. Frank did a factory tour with Glenn and made some videos a while back.

Edit: here's the thread and video

Last edited:
Ive had my seekins for a couple of weeks now, it’s not the fastest barrel in the world (not tikka slow...) but it basically likes any bullet I cram in it. 130s and 140s shoot lights out, 143 and the 147 opens up a little but still well under moa. I honestly dont think you can get better or even close in that $2k range.