• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suing moving company

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
If anyone has ever sued their moving company could you shoot me a PM about your experience.

I know asking for advice in the Bear Pit is dangerous, so lets just stick with others who had to take extra steps when moving. Right now things are going downhill and I am getting raped harder than posting in the bear pit...

In the interest of naming names:
Do not use North American Van Lines. Spend elsewhere.

Last edited:
If anyone has ever sued their moving company could you shoot me a PM about your experience.

I know asking for advice in the Bear Pit is dangerous, so lets just stick with others who had to take extra steps when moving. Right now things are going downhill and I am getting raped harder than posting in the bear pit...
I've had home owners do it and it really depends on what your county is like. If it's red, it's going to be difficult to show actual monetary harm and breach of co tract that caused it. If it's blue, they will probably settle for half and be done with you. Depends on circumstances.

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

Welp as for the deets since this popped back up:

Contracted North American Van Lines to move us.

Moving day comes and they decide that some items are not going to be loaded. (Like my beds, couches, garage stuff). No reason given, total run around.
I confronted the driver, she got all pissy said "I don't have to deal with this" and got the crew to leave
He co-worker said "What about the paperwork" and she replied "I'll just say he refused to sign"
They took off.
I called the police (Basically they just stole my shit, as I have NOTHING from them).

After that its been one BS item after another. Final delivery date moved because <insert reason of day here> even though I booked in May.
I have no beds for the new home, am out around 10 grand in stuff they left behind PLUS when they stopped they dropped shit everywhere that I had to hire a crew to come and clean out.
Plus they keep lying about how I "assaulted" the driver (even the cop said "Dude thank you for not shooting her--I see you are a CHL holder") when all I asked was she honor the contract.
There's a whole bunch of technical details about stuff they were supposed to do and provide and they basically shit on federal code. Tried to go through the BBB and they just kept up with the name calling, making stuff up and never addressing the problem like "Oh we charged you for moving all this stuff, but left it behind"
No returned calls from corporate, no cooperation, no claims forms even. They offered to pay for cleanup if there was an itemized breakout of items they cleaned, when stupid me has only a receipt. Their basic answer to any inquiries was "Fuck off you already paid, eat a dick"
Took me three tries to get my house inventory and I never got to review it before they left. Once they gave me half of it, then mocked me when I reported a bunch of stuff missing. "Its clearly on page 8!"

"Sir you only gave me 6 pages"

Once my stuff is delivered I have the federal complaint lined up and I got to check about 75% of the boxes for stuff they failed to do.

TLDR: They violated the shit out of our contract like it was a bear pit thread.

Use North American at your own peril and especially Beltmann Relocation (their subcontractor). Even their customer service was assholes.

Learned a hard lesson, find out who subcontracts for these National Companies. Its all in the reviews: my experience is not unique.

• Angry
Reactions: BurtG and stefan73
My brother contracted this guy to pick up some furniture in AZ at my place and drive it back to his place in Georgia. Not quite sure where he found the guy. The guy shows up on time with a decent truck, everything seems ok. Guy was playing the local christian music station and quoting the bible the whole time he was loading everything. Dude is paid his deposit. Everything's loaded up, all good, guys takes off.

Well a week later my bro gets a call from the dude. He says he won't deliver the furniture unless he's paid double what we agreed to. My brother is like WTF, you said you'd deliver it for so much bla, bla. Dude says nope, if you want to see your furniture again you gotta pay me. I tell my bro, you agree to pay in a couple days. I'll get on a plane and head out, and when he shows up, we tell him if he wants his truck back give us a full refund. And all the furniture. But no, my brother just paid him. Oh well, I was kind of looking forward to beating scaring the shit out of the fucker - what a lying cheating piece of crap.

Haven't had to move in a while but the drivers use to be like independent contractors to the moving company. We had a move through my company. Estimator came out and and said it was XXXX weight would fit on 1/3 of a truck. Guy had been drinking and I questioned him about how much space it would take up.
Well the truck showed up on the day on time, driver walks through the house and garage and decrees "won't fit on my truck, see you later" and starts to leave. I call my company move coordinator and they call moving company (way before cell phones), moving company calls and ask to speak to driver. He agrees to load truck with what he can they will get another truck there soon. Well, midnight and still no truck, and they are working by lamps n the truck. I get my hands on a drivers handbook and it had Mayflowers CEO's home number. I woke him up and chewed his ass. I had a second truck before daylight.
Movers are the lowest form of ass holes. Once they have your stuff, they think they have control. There are tories on the news here all the time about movers screwing people. Even major names in movers.

My brother contracted this guy to pick up some furniture in AZ at my place and drive it back to his place in Georgia. Not quite sure where he found the guy. The guy shows up on time with a decent truck, everything seems ok. Guy was playing the local christian music station and quoting the bible the whole time he was loading everything. Dude is paid his deposit. Everything's loaded up, all good, guys takes off.

Well a week later my bro gets a call from the dude. He says he won't deliver the furniture unless he's paid double what we agreed to. My brother is like WTF, you said you'd deliver it for so much bla, bla. Dude says nope, if you want to see your furniture again you gotta pay me. I tell my bro, you agree to pay in a couple days. I'll get on a plane and head out, and when he shows up, we tell him if he wants his truck back give us a full refund. And all the furniture. But no, my brother just paid him. Oh well, I was kind of looking forward to beating scaring the shit out of the fucker - what a lying cheating piece of crap.

Id have fun with a faggot like this.

Nows yous cant leave.

If the service industry counted on people like me, there would be no service industry. For this reason I do almost everything myself. I wont pay for service. People suck!

To the OP, if think suing for shit like this is going to make you feel better, you will just find yourself more pissed than you currently are and out more money in the end.

If the service industry counted on people like me, there would be no service industry. For this reason I do almost everything myself. I wont pay for service. People suck!

To the OP, if think suing for shit like this is going to make you feel better, you will just find yourself more pissed than you currently are and out more money in the end.
I agree. I've been through all sides of lawsuits , I've seen moving company disputes, ect... The constant in it all is that The Lawyers are the only ones that actually get paid. I'd avoid that unless there was a great chance of recovering a huge amount of money, which it doesn't sound like there is imo.

Better call Saul. With a national company, I'd hire an attorney. You may get back 50 cents on the dollar if you are lucky. If you must hire an attorney, nobody wins. Be sure you have a good paper trail of goods, times, and places. The guy with the best documentation usually wins.

I agree. I've been through all sides of lawsuits , I've seen moving company disputes, ect... The constant in it all is that The Lawyers are the only ones that actually get paid. I'd avoid that unless there was a great chance of recovering a huge amount of money, which it doesn't sound like there is imo.
This is what my wife and I decided based on feedback (among those included some help here in the pit). We just cut our losses-- @Missalot mentioned documentation--thats how they win--they denied us a TON of the required docs and made all the notes like "Refused to sign" even though we never were presented anything. How do you prove someone is lying?--its damn hard unless you have them on tape, and who records their every conversation in person. It was a small victory that I got them to admidt they left a mess as I had pictures of all their junk--they blamed me.

Best is in the damage to the old home "Well your walls need to be repainted anyway so we don't have to pay (after gouging a wall)" Boggles the fucking mind.

The only pushback is leaving the 1 star reviews all over their social media.

If it was a local move, I could of more throughly vetted them--but because it was cross-country had to go with a big company--you don't know who really is moving you--had 3 good cross country moves--this was beyond the shit.

Having handled these insurance claims when I was an adjuster you have a very uphill battle and should consult a real attorney (most of not all attorneys do not charge for consults).
A moving company that we insured fucked up a moving job so badly that it pissed me off and I looked for every possible way I could pay the family something but the contract that you sign basically gives you zero recourse.

Get your legal advice from a real lawyer and not a bunch of numbnuts on a gun forum, consults are free.

Reactions: CSGambill
Moving companies are trash, did it once, never again, I just suck it up, get some friends and move my own shit.

Maybe small claims w/o lawyers? Otherwise I think IF you win the lawyers will eat all the money.

Having handled these insurance claims when I was an adjuster you have a very uphill battle and should consult a real attorney (most of not all attorneys do not charge for consults).
A moving company that we insured fucked up a moving job so badly that it pissed me off and I looked for every possible way I could pay the family something but the contract that you sign basically gives you zero recourse.

Get your legal advice from a real lawyer and not a bunch of numbnuts on a gun forum, consults are free.
Consults indeed are usually free. I wasn't so much looking for advice, but others experiences as to whether we had a good chance of success.

Right now, the costs to sue are more than are losses and the chance of winning isn't great given the he said/she-said. I can nail them in arbitration over the contract but that's a drop in the bucket (maybe 2 grand max).

Consults indeed are usually free. I wasn't so much looking for advice, but others experiences as to whether we had a good chance of success.

Right now, the costs to sue are more than are losses and the chance of winning isn't great given the he said/she-said. I can nail them in arbitration over the contract but that's a drop in the bucket (maybe 2 grand max).
My experience as an adjuster that was trying to pay the family something is that their contracts absolve them of almost all liability, when I moved states I packed all my shit myself and drove a moving truck 18 hours so I didn’t have to deal with this bullshit.
I do hope that you can recover something from them.

Consider losing shit in a move as an opportunity to upgrade. They did you a favor as you don't need to take to take the old shit to the dump...

How much shit do you have? I have moved my house 5 times and it's not bad at all. Either you all are lazy or you have way too much shit.

Do it yourself and no headaches.

Doc

Reactions: Bullfrog08
Not sure contract is "valid" when they breached it. You could try to do a small claims court for the maximum allowed.
If they have arbitration with $2K.. maybe that's worth it.. since it's just an interview with an arbitrator. No lawyers required.

Moving companies are trash, did it once, never again, I just suck it up, get some friends and move my own shit.

Maybe small claims w/o lawyers? Otherwise I think IF you win the lawyers will eat all the money.
Yep. We were considering a long-distance move and my wife wanted to hire a company or do one of those POD deals. I not only said no, but fuck no. After reading horror story after horror story about moving companies I would never chance it. If we do decide to move, we'll be renting one or two big ass Uhaul trucks with car hauler attached.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Yep. We were considering a long-distance move and my wife wanted to hire a company or do one of those POD deals. I not only said no, but fuck no. After reading horror story after horror story about moving companies I would never chance it. If we do decide to move, we'll be renting one or two big ass Uhaul trucks with car hauler attached.
Hire some guys to load and unload at each end, and you drive the truck. Realtors know people that have strong backs and are looking for a side gig.

Small claims court is a decent way to go, IF, you have some proof

Reactions: TurboTrout
True story. My sis-in-law moved and the truck was parked on a hill and yes it rolled away with the back door open losing half the load of her itms which all got wasted. They didnt even wait for a suit just asked for an itemized list and they made good.

Reminds me of my PCS move from Alaska and the contractor Transportation Command changed over to. Took us about 4 months to find my wifes car (PCS move). Thankfully someone was visiting the lot in MO and was videotaping the vehicles in the lot while they were looking for their car and I saw my wifes on the video.

That was a mess.

"That's a nice fleet of trucks you have there... be a shame if they started catching fire... and getting flat tires"

Not that I'd advocate that sort of thing ;-)

Sirhr
Fire involves insurance and I'm sure they would be happy for that. Flat tires incur a cost with no insurance support;) It's also crazy how those oil filters and drain plugs just get loose🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Fire involves insurance and I'm sure they would be happy for that. Flat tires incur a cost with no insurance support;) It's also crazy how those oil filters and drain plugs just get loose🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
And they leave those trucks just lying around all over the place... Motels, rest areas, streets...

Shame if these kept falling out of your pocket.

Of course this is all satire. But the crooked vanlines folks don't need to know that.

Sirhr

And they leave those trucks just lying around all over the place... Motels, rest areas, streets...

Of course this is all satire. But the crooked vanlines folks don't need to know that.

Sirhr
Had a contractor drop a box of roofing nails at the end of the road (one of the big boxes). Those did the trick on my tires, and a lot of other peoples tires.

Reminds of this one time, at band camp, there I was, bustin my ass

My friends dad was a General Contractor. I was young and trying to make a name for myself. He would hire me to do all sorts of stuff for his projects. Occasionally I'd hire on to be part of one of his crews for a while if things were too slow for me to pay the bills.

He hands me a job to build a deck on a house he had built a few years before for a (trigger word) lawyer. Big fancy home on one of the greens at the cunt ree club. No drawings, no real plan at all. I discuss and sketch and shit and we come to an agreement. I have him go pay for the material and I will take half pay about half way and final when all the stuff is cleaned out if his yard. I'm working all by myself.

Once I start putting the redwood down, his wife (VERY nice lady, genuinely sweet) would compliment the work every day. He would meet me in the mornings and was all impressed with the workmanship.

I work late on the last day. I've been cleaning up every day so there isn't anything like that to do. I have like a dozen screws to drive when the dickhead comes home and right away comes to see what's up. I'm like, hi sir, see that I only have this little bit to do, you can go ahead and write that check and I'll be out of your way. He says, oh, well, there is this problem. What? See how the Phillips screw heads aren't all facing the same direction. I tell him that is called clocking the screws and is not standard practice for exterior construction such as a redwood deck. He says that either I clock every screw or take a couple hundred off the price.

I put my cordless in reverse and started pulling screws out as fast as I could. He asks what I am doing. I tell him that it took me about 4 days to get this far but I can have it all taken apart by about 10PM. Fuck off.

He sorta freaks, goes and gets his check book and writes me the check. I take the check, grab my battery charger and start to leave. So he asks what I'm doing now and I tell him that my tasks are done, I've been paid and I am going home. He gets PISSED. He wants to get up in my face and I am desiring this, too. I tell him that I can stay to finish and replace what I took off while he was trying to fuck me but it will cost him a couple hundred extra. He agrees. So I say, upfront, in cash. He disappears, comes back, hands me a couple of bills and disappears.

I was at his bank when they opened for business in the morning. Told my friends dad and that really pissed him off.

Several years later, I get a call to bid a job. I arrive to the same house. I meet the same very nice lady but she doesn't recognize me. I look it all over and give an estimate a day or two later. They want to give me the work, mainly because I did some work for their friend. I draw up a contract (back then I usually just shook hands) where I am paid in full prior to work starting and meet them in their kitchen to get it all signed. Oh, that is just unheard of. So I look out their door and point to the deck and tell them I built that deck. You could have heard a pin drop. HAHAHAHA!!!! Pregnant pause. But you know what, that guy agreed, signed the contract and wrote me a check (which I promptly deposited and waited to clear before I did anything) No issues at all and he was very polite every day.

Reminds of this one time, at band camp, there I was, bustin my ass

My friends dad was a General Contractor. I was young and trying to make a name for myself. He would hire me to do all sorts of stuff for his projects. Occasionally I'd hire on to be part of one of his crews for a while if things were too slow for me to pay the bills.

He hands me a job to build a deck on a house he had built a few years before for a (trigger word) lawyer. Big fancy home on one of the greens at the cunt ree club. No drawings, no real plan at all. I discuss and sketch and shit and we come to an agreement. I have him go pay for the material and I will take half pay about half way and final when all the stuff is cleaned out if his yard. I'm working all by myself.

Once I start putting the redwood down, his wife (VERY nice lady, genuinely sweet) would compliment the work every day. He would meet me in the mornings and was all impressed with the workmanship.

I work late on the last day. I've been cleaning up every day so there isn't anything like that to do. I have like a dozen screws to drive when the dickhead comes home and right away comes to see what's up. I'm like, hi sir, see that I only have this little bit to do, you can go ahead and write that check and I'll be out of your way. He says, oh, well, there is this problem. What? See how the Phillips screw heads aren't all facing the same direction. I tell him that is called clocking the screws and is not standard practice for exterior construction such as a redwood deck. He says that either I clock every screw or take a couple hundred off the price.

I put my cordless in reverse and started pulling screws out as fast as I could. He asks what I am doing. I tell him that it took me about 4 days to get this far but I can have it all taken apart by about 10PM. Fuck off.

He sorta freaks, goes and gets his check book and writes me the check. I take the check, grab my battery charger and start to leave. So he asks what I'm doing now and I tell him that my tasks are done, I've been paid and I am going home. He gets PISSED. He wants to get up in my face and I am desiring this, too. I tell him that I can stay to finish and replace what I took off while he was trying to fuck me but it will cost him a couple hundred extra. He agrees. So I say, upfront, in cash. He disappears, comes back, hands me a couple of bills and disappears.

I was at his bank when they opened for business in the morning. Told my friends dad and that really pissed him off.

Several years later, I get a call to bid a job. I arrive to the same house. I meet the same very nice lady but she doesn't recognize me. I look it all over and give an estimate a day or two later. They want to give me the work, mainly because I did some work for their friend. I draw up a contract (back then I usually just shook hands) where I am paid in full prior to work starting and meet them in their kitchen to get it all signed. Oh, that is just unheard of. So I look out their door and point to the deck and tell them I built that deck. You could have heard a pin drop. HAHAHAHA!!!! Pregnant pause. But you know what, that guy agreed, signed the contract and wrote me a check (which I promptly deposited and waited to clear before I did anything) No issues at all and he was very polite every day.
Good job man

Sirhr
I was related to an old man that retired as a coal miner. Lots of union issues and those who would work without paying the union and all that. My Grandad That old man also had a bunch of haying equipment and we would cut and bale hay for cash and/or the hay. I'd usually get a couple friends and we'd haul that hay until late at night, get up and cut/rake and do it all again.
Those old sickles were triangle shaped and you'd have to replace them after sharpening them a few times. Rivets, a riveting block and a 4 lb hammer. The old pieces weren't worth much at all. We would save them and trade for something at the steel yard.
Turns out, 3 welded together make an EXCELLENT caltrop that would cut through even Euclid end dump tires...according to that old man.

I was related to an old man that retired as a coal miner. Lots of union issues and those who would work without paying the union and all that. My Grandad That old man also had a bunch of haying equipment and we would cut and bale hay for cash and/or the hay. I'd usually get a couple friends and we'd haul that hay until late at night, get up and cut/rake and do it all again.
Those old sickles were triangle shaped and you'd have to replace them after sharpening them a few times. Rivets, a riveting block and a 4 lb hammer. The old pieces weren't worth much at all. We would save them and trade for something at the steel yard.
Turns out, 3 welded together make an EXCELLENT caltrop that would cut through even Euclid end dump tires...according to that old man.
We're a sneaky bunch, aren't we? Guess that's what makes this site different.

Sirhr

Since 2015 we have moved 3X requiring North American Van Lines, this is a contract company for my wife's company. Two of these moves have been completed with less then a desirable outcome broken & missing items. The truck drives are the jefe' they hire help as needed sometimes they ride along with the driver most of the time it is a local pick up team. Some of the hired help always appear questionable. The one positive move GA to TN, the driver was squared away his rig was spotless the wood floor in the trailer was like a shuffleboard, he kept the team hydrated and organized, everything was delivered in excellent condition! Local movers we have used Two-Men & A Truck with mixed results generally younger guys with strong backs, these guys need supervision you need to be prepared to step-up and firmly offer direction when you see them doing stupid stuff, example when loading our Precore treadmill they used a flat dolly when they got to the drop off the decided to simply use the elevation rollers to raise/lower the machine I stopped them but it was to late the plug cord had been rubbing against the concrete broken control wire. In Nashville aware of a young lady that was scammed by movers demanding double the agreed fee if you want to see you're furniture again, she paid up but had to borrow some $$$$. total scam.
After the first move we filed a complaint for missing and broken items it was a fucking joke and after 5, months it went absolutely no place, wife then complained to her companies relocation department and they quickly sent us reimbursement in full and said they would deal with NA movers on our behalf, doubtful they did anything.

Best advice? Expect anything fragile to be broken. Expect anything expensive to be stolen. Pack anything in the above categories in a truck that YOU drive to Dallas.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I'm really sorry to hear about the challenging situation you're facing with your moving company. That sounds absolutely awful, and I hope things get resolved in your favor soon. Moving can already be quite stressful, so having to deal with additional complications is the last thing you need.
Hello fellow firearm enthusiest!!!!