• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Supplements for 32yr Beginning Training

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Im just starting to work out again after a long hiatus. A lot of my buddies are fitness fanatics, but they are in to more of a body building thing...sometimes using Test and Winstrol and etc...Im just looking to drop about 25lbs and put on lean mass. So when it comes to supplements for my goals, my buddies arent much help.

They did tell me to take the following:

Creatine
Whey Protein
CoEnzyme Q10
Green Tea Extract
Acety-L-Carnitine
Amino Acids
Vitamins
Fish Oil

So I went to my local GNC to get this stuff, and the guy there recommended the following:

GNC Mega Heart Supplement Pack
GNC Amplified Creatine 189
GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 protein powder
L-Carnitine soft gells
Green Tea triple fat burner.

My question is, are the GNC products quality supplements, or a bunch of filler? The brands recommended by Mens Health were all different, and was going to cost me almost double of what the GNC stuff packaged together costs. Any help greatly appreciated

Re: Supplements for 32yr Beginning Training

Just my opinion... those supplements will be all you really need. I would just add Casein protein to the list to take before bed. I dont know much about the GNC products as far as quality, but as far as your green tea i always look at the percentage of Polyphenols in the ingredients, the higher the better. I have seen anywhere between 50-98%. Also im a bigger fan of Kre-Alkalyn creatin then the regular. It seems to work better for me, the dose is much less and there is no pre-loading or cycling to do.

I can't attest to the quality of GNC products either, but there are a few major supplement suppliers online that way undercut their prices on the same products. Animal Pak is a good multivitamin supplement as well, I usually just add fish oil to it as far as my vitamin supplements go. Other than that I just do creatine, protein (whey post work out and casein pre-sleep), and glutamine. Good luck

I just use Animal Pak (helps my recovery and gain weight), Hemo-Rage Black Ultra-Concentrate (pre-workout), and Intek Evolution Protein shakes as they have some BCAAs.

Pair that with a workout regimen where you push yourself every day and you'll start to see results in 2-3 weeks.

Generic Walmart(Equate) Men's multivitamin
Fish Oil (enteric coated)
Cod Liver Oil
Glucosamine/Condrotin - if you creak like a wooden ship
Iron

I prefer the "shovel method". Take a reasonable excess of the cheapo multivitamin and follow the directions on rest of the stuff.

If your eating is shitty you need to supplement protein (just buy the cheapest whey powder, it's all bioavailable) but realize your goals will be hard to reach until the eating habits are fixed.

Check out a Paleo diet (and forget about the no dairy provisions) or The Zone. "The Great Cholesterol Con" is a fantastic book....your idea of clean eating might need a healthy injection of the scientific method if you've been hanging around guys who routinely wear speedos, oil themselves up then parade around and flex in front of other men. Sure sounds fucking gay to me.

My diet has been pretty good since i started. I eat a lot of lean turkey and chicken, wheat tortillas and bread, vegetables, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt. I throw in fish and sushi a few times a week too. Trying to eat 6 meals a day is almost impossible in my line of work. Im lucky if I get breakfast, lunch, dinner. My budget for calories right now is 2100, and im pretty good at sticking with it. Ive completely cut out soda and beer, and im now driking probably 5-6 liters of water a day.

A big problem Im having is im sooo fucking sore after every work out. I worked my chest on monday, and I can still barely lift my arms over my head. And im going light on the weight because im just starting. Im just trying to get my muscles used to working out again, and trying to develop good lifting technique.

If your recovery and pain/fatigue level is too much post workout:

1) You're not eating enough

2) You're not sleeping enough

3) You're overtraining.

I'd imagine it's a little of them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I eat a lot of lean turkey and chicken, wheat tortillas and bread, vegetables, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt. </div></div>

I agree with MrButterpants, check out Paleo type eating. I'd cut out the wheat tortillas and bread asap, add some eggs to your diet. You'll see results pretty quick.

This is a pretty good book to jump start you into Paleo. Cut those carbs/grains/sugars and you'll see weight start to fall off.

http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Blueprint-21-Day-Total-Transformation/dp/0982207778

Create an account at Bodybuilding.com. I also makes purchases through their website as they have decent prices.

As mentioned look to add Casein in the mix. Also, supplementation (is that a word?) has a lot of timing involved in it for maximum gains. As said join bodybuilding.com and get to reading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My diet has been pretty good since i started. I eat a lot of lean turkey and chicken, wheat tortillas and bread, vegetables, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt. I throw in fish and sushi a few times a week too. Trying to eat 6 meals a day is almost impossible in my line of work. Im lucky if I get breakfast, lunch, dinner. My budget for calories right now is 2100, and im pretty good at sticking with it. Ive completely cut out soda and beer, and im now driking probably 5-6 liters of water a day.

A big problem Im having is im sooo fucking sore after every work out. I worked my chest on monday, and I can still barely lift my arms over my head. And im going light on the weight because im just starting. Im just trying to get my muscles used to working out again, and trying to develop good lifting technique. </div></div>

Is that your total calorie intake? 2100 seems pretty low to me if you're working out with any intensity or regularity.

I would drop the creatine, if your just starting out it really isn't need. Some form of NO2 prework will help with the pump but watch out for caffeine.

Also GNC is the rapist of the supplement world try either
Bodybuilding.com
Or
Fitnessfirst.com

I use fitness first because they have great prices and it only takes 4 days to get my stuff in crapistan.

ive lost 12lbs so far. stopped the creatine a while ago, but added casein at night. im getting stronger already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive lost 12lbs so far. stopped the creatine a while ago, but added casein at night. im getting stronger already. </div></div>

Can you expand on what you're doing? Same diet you explained above? What other drinks and supplements?

Agree with the following:

Creatine
Whey Protein

Protein power can be found at Truenutrition.com

The price on the powder is good. Shipping is expensive, but the net cost is still cheaper than I can find anywhere else per gram of protein. They are extremely SLOWWW to ship which really pisses me off though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gar2376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree with the following:

Creatine
Whey Protein

Protein power can be found at Truenutrition.com

The price on the powder is good. Shipping is expensive, but the net cost is still cheaper than I can find anywhere else per gram of protein. They are extremely SLOWWW to ship which really pisses me off though.</div></div>

Google "truenutrition discount code" to get 5% off your order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gar2376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Protein power can be found at Truenutrition.com

They are extremely SLOWWW to ship which really pisses me off though.</div></div>

I haven't found this at all. I've ordered twice, both were shipped within 48 hours tops, then shipped ground (I'm sure I could have paid for faster). 48 hours is reasonable to me since all there powder seems to be custom mixed per order since you can choose sweetener, flavor, additives, different proteins, etc.

Their other products, like energy drinks, appear to ship from fulfillment centers.

I would scrap half of the supplements you're taking. Protein powder is a waste of money and many contain heavy metals like cadmium and lead and mercury. Nothing replaces food such as fish and chicken as the best sources of protein. In 26 years of working out and competing the best supplements I've found are:

1.Branched Chain Amino Acids.

2.Any Quality L-Glutamine. It's the most prevalent amino acid in muscle tissue.

3.A quality multivitamin. I use Animal Pak. It's time tested plus it has other ingredients to speed recovery.

4.A good zinc supplement taken before bed time.

5.I've started using a post workout supplement that works awesome. It's callled Dark Matter. It can found online or at Vitamin Shoppe. I've been using it for a few years with good results.

6. Fish or Flax oil. It helps keep the swelling in my joints and connective tissue to a minimum.

Proper nutrition, training and rest are equally important as using supplements. Without the other three all you're getting is expensive piss.

Jig, et al; because of the huge money circulating in the fitness business, credible information on nutrition and fitness is elusive. Information that is misleading is abundant, but credible information is not. Members purporting to provide information should offer their experience, if any, on which we might evaluate your opinion's credibility. Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone's opinion about a science is valuable. Just being real at the risk of being also a snob.

Advice on fitness begins with basic and necessary information.
height
% body fat
goal

Advice provided without knowing these basics is of little value and could even be harmful. Harmless discussions and exchanging experiences are healthy. Reliable information will come from a professional trainer. To shoot well we need a good coach, mentor or teacher. We cannot afford not to pay for a professional fitness trainer who's field of discipline is a specialty that should be sought and used.

Get a good trainer and use him for weight training and nutritional counseling. You will not regret it. I've used one for the last six years. Trainer fees are a necessary expense like residential utilities.