• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor for Hunting & Target Practice

Reading around elsewhere on the internet and people are saying the 5 isn't worth getting, to go with a 7" ultra at a minimum. Thoughts on this? The 7 seems to be about 3 db quieter on a 300 win. Is that a huge difference?

I will still use ear pro while practicing and hopefully shoot 4 shots max unprotected at once hunting unless I'm having a terrible day!

My opinion: if it is just hunting go with the 5. Multi-use go with the 7......

My opinion: if it is just hunting go with the 5. Multi-use go with the 7......

How about a 5 to start and a 9 down the road? Do things go crazy with your load development when you go from a 5" can to a 9" can?

How about a 5 to start and a 9 down the road? Do things go crazy with your load development when you go from a 5" can to a 9" can?

Nope, .3 inch group with or without can. Sometimes you’ll get a small fps increase but I did not see that with my 30-06. Weather changes are a much bigger factor.....

I never miss using a suppressor for hunting. 18" 7-08 or 24" 7mag depending on how i am feeling..

Torn with what to do. Called thunderbeast and a few other people and they basically said the 5" can isn't worth it because it doesn't quiet it down enough. Part of me thinks that it would knock the concision from a braked 300 win down a good amount and make things more comfortable. At least I wouldn't feel like my ears are ringing with plugs and muffs.

They suggested the 7", but I already have reservations about adding a 5" onto my hunting barrel. Part of me doesn't want a middle of the road can - big enough to be cumbersome, but not excellent suppression compared to a 9" or 338 can. I think I'd rather buy a 5" and a 9" down the road if necessary. Then I have one that is compact and one that is quiet. Seems like things that are made to be the best of both worlds rarely excel at either task. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Also questioning the recoil that will be present with the can. My tiny wife shoots that 300 when we hunt. She does great with it and took an elk last year. I just wonder if she would mind the recoil with a can.

The recent political unrest about banning suppressors also has me concerned. Am I going to be shelling out $1200 on something that will have to be destroyed before I get it?? Will I get my money back?? Or should I grab it now while I still can. They probably won't pay us back, as they have done in the past.

Decisions decisions.

Torn with what to do. Called thunderbeast and a few other people and they basically said the 5" can isn't worth it because it doesn't quiet it down enough. Part of me thinks that it would knock the concision from a braked 300 win down a good amount and make things more comfortable. At least I wouldn't feel like my ears are ringing with plugs and muffs.

They suggested the 7", but I already have reservations about adding a 5" onto my hunting barrel. Part of me doesn't want a middle of the road can - big enough to be cumbersome, but not excellent suppression compared to a 9" or 338 can. I think I'd rather buy a 5" and a 9" down the road if necessary. Then I have one that is compact and one that is quiet. Seems like things that are made to be the best of both worlds rarely excel at either task. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Also questioning the recoil that will be present with the can. My tiny wife shoots that 300 when we hunt. She does great with it and took an elk last year. I just wonder if she would mind the recoil with a can.

The recent political unrest about banning suppressors also has me concerned. Am I going to be shelling out $1200 on something that will have to be destroyed before I get it?? Will I get my money back?? Or should I grab it now while I still can. They probably won't pay us back, as they have done in the past.

Decisions decisions.

You are way over thinking this. You could be hit by a truck tomorrow. Life is now......

Never shot a TBAC can but just wanted to share my experience with a different brand...

I just received a "Banish 30" from Dakota Silencer (now Silencer Central). The can has all titanium internals (not sure about the main tube), can be taken apart for cleaning, and can be used in a 7" or a 9" config. I've only shot it in the 9" config... maybe I'll try the 7" and see if I can notice a difference in noise... In the 9" config it is extremely quiet.. it's almost laughable. Makes the rifle even more of a treat to shoot.

Main purpose of the can for me will be hunting. Right now it's on my 22" barrel 6.5 cm CA Mesa. It really doesn't feel super long or crazy to tote around but I also haven't had it in the mountains yet.

I had about a 2" POI shift (100yds) from unsuppressed but it's still shooting well under MOA. I've only had it out to 200yds so far (max range at the current spot I shoot) but even a beginner can easily keep the groups within MOA.

oh.. as far as the QD muzzle brake thing.. I went the direct thread route and didn't worry too much about the QD.. I'm sure its nice but I really didn't want to get myself into a "I need this specific brake" (that maybe needs to be timed) for every gun I own in order to swap the can around. It takes me maybe 5 seconds longer to screw my can on than a QD

61231394131__A064500F-E5DA-4624-B731-3EB53AE9BDE0.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: treillw
OP......as someone here said stop shooting with those breaks, they do more damage to your hearing then you can imagine. There was a good post on accurate shooter about it. As others have said once you shoot with a can on you wont ever take it off. I have a few different manufactures but when it comes to hunting and bolt guns i run my TBAC's. For 6.5 and below i run my ultra 5 (in 6.5) but for 7 mil and .30cals i run the ultra 7, i have an ultra 9 as well and its an awesome can and crazy quite but its strictly a range can, just to long in the field. Again as others have said just cut down the barrel, through the can on and never look back. I do run QD for all of the cans, i ran a direct thread for many years hunting and when your cold and its shitty weather and your taking the can on and off the rifle in the field in bad conditions tired you could easily end up cross threading something and then have a really bad day. The 5 and 7 have zero POI shift on my rifles.

Reactions: MikeC137
Never shot a TBAC can but just wanted to share my experience with a different brand...

I just received a "Banish 30" from Dakota Silencer (now Silencer Central). The can has all titanium internals (not sure about the main tube), can be taken apart for cleaning, and can be used in a 7" or a 9" config. I've only shot it in the 9" config... maybe I'll try the 7" and see if I can notice a difference in noise... In the 9" config it is extremely quiet.. it's almost laughable. Makes the rifle even more of a treat to shoot.
Couldn't agree more, now if I could find ammo for a decent price.