• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor recommendations

Doug Dimmadome

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2022
Michigan
Looking to buy my first can for my .223. I would like something serviceable that I can also run on my .22lr. My only real priority is noise suppression. Weight and size does not matter. This is a varmint gun that is bench rested, shoots 5-10 rounds, then sits for 10 minutes or so. What would be the best bang for my buck?

Definitely anything from thunderbeast I have the ultra 7 and the dominus once it gets out of jail

22LR needs to have a user serviceable can.
The griffin Optimus micro is the only 223 rated rimfire can that comes to mind.

Just do yourself a favor, buy a rimfire can and a 30 cal lightweight centerfire rifle can like the dominus or if $ is tight DA nomad or YHM resonator.

Reactions: EddieE and Tortuga
2 cans.

You just missed SiCo's BOGO deal, where you could've got the rimfire suppressor for free with your centerfire suppressor.

I believe SilencerShop is running some deals, so perhaps have a look at their inventory if you are trying to save some $$$.

Otherwise, TBAC is always a solid choice that's hard to ignore.

Reactions: hafejd30
The griffin Optimus micro is the only 223 rated rimfire can that comes to mind.

I own one. Absolutely great can. On a rifle it's quieter than the Rugged Oculus. On a pistol the Oculus has a ever so slight edge.

The Optimus Micro though is definitely rated for 5.56. It's a neat little can that is definitely built like a tank.

To some people they don't like the small weight penalty but I personally don't care.

Thanks, I appreciate all the replys. Could everyone that says to buy 2 cans please elaborate? I understand .22 is a filthy round but what the difference between cleaning the suppressor and shooting more .22 or cleaning it and shooting .223?

Thanks, I appreciate all the replys. Could everyone that says to buy 2 cans please elaborate? I understand .22 is a filthy round but what the difference between cleaning the suppressor and shooting more .22 or cleaning it and shooting .223?
I would like to add that you could also go with a Griffin Paladin 5 as well. Those are also user serviceable.

As for shooting rimfire through a welded can... no way in hell should anyone do that. Yes those cans can be cleaned as well but it's substantially bigger of a pain in the ass than one you can take apart.

Also with rimfire about every 500 rounds give or take a couple hundred you need to disassemble the can and clean it. Rimfire is DIRTY. If you are shooting centerfire (depending on the cartridge) you might not EVER need to clean the can. A dedicated 5.56 can for example is one that you would really never need to clean, or at least not very often. You could shoot 10,000 rounds through one and never clean it.

On the other hand if you shoot a lot of 300 blackout (and you have a 30 cal can) my experience is you will have a lot more fouling with the same or similar round count.

With my rimfire cans I can take them apart and toss the baffles in a tumbler and watch some TV for an hour or two and then put everything back together. Cleaning a sealed can though is a 2-3 day process for the most part.

Dead Air Mask HD for your rimfire can. Rimfire is nasty, you will always want to get a rimfire specific can, that is user-serviceable.

Dead Air Nomad-30, Nomad-Ti, Nomad-L, Nomad-LT, Otter Creek Labs PR30L, TBAC Magnus (when it gets released to the public), CGS Hyperion, Energetic Armament VOX-S, or LUX, Rex Silentium Mod-X, Abel Co. Biscuit would all be great for your centerfires. I would recommend getting a .30 caliber can that is RUM/Norma rated so you have a do-all centerfire can.

Another vote for dedicated 22 suppressor for a myriad of reasons (size, weight, cleaning, etc). I highly recommend titanium or stainless baffles. MY first 22 can is aluminum and that just plain blows to clean.

Like others have said TBAC seems to be a top choice.

I'm really liking my Rex Silentium cans, so I recommend those as well. The tone is very nice from them, and they're pretty quiet compared to my SOCOM and my buddies Rugged.

Reactions: Bluedog82
I don't think you want to run the same can on both rimfire and centerfire...

You can, so long as you can clean it.

My buddy has one from a now defunct company that's serviceable. He puts grease in it before he shoots .22, and it wipes clean easily when he's done for the day. Stupid quiet also.

Not recommended for dedicated .22 cans, but we figured that the .223 rated one would never notice any difference if it was coated in grease.

And I do mean a coating, not filling it full. That would be a mess.

Cleaning is one aspect. The other is performance; a can that works well on .223 centerfire probably has a blast chamber that is excessively large for .22LR as well as baffle geometry that may be optimized for creating the less possible amount of backpressure for proper operation on semi-auto rifles. In all likelihood, it will be nowhere as quiet as a dedicated rimfire can (particularly with regards to first-round pop).

Last edited:
Reactions: nikonNUT
Looking to buy my first can for my .223. I would like something serviceable that I can also run on my .22lr. My only real priority is noise suppression. Weight and size does not matter. This is a varmint gun that is bench rested, shoots 5-10 rounds, then sits for 10 minutes or so. What would be the best bang for my buck?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921238658

Bang for your buck 22 imo this cgs hydra is an excellent can and value at $200ish after shipping/cc fee.

Is your .223 a bolt gun or semi auto? This makes a massive difference in recommendation.

.22 leaves a tremendous amount of fouling. You do not want to shoot .22 in the same can as centerfire. Fouling can dislodge and cause problems. If you clean before shooting .223 I guess it would be fine but .223/.30 centerfire are far from optimized for a .22's significantly lower pressure.

Last edited:
I’m a big tbac can I have a bunch my next choice after that would be sig they have some nice stuff. Gemtech used to be good but that was years ago

I've shot a bunch of 22 LR thru my 1st can. Sonic cleaner & a couple cycles with CLR makes it shine. 30 cal welded can. You certainly could use a 30 cal can for everything if it was user serviceable. I like the light grease coating idea, I have some high temp spray lube that drys to try.

You can definitely use the same can for both, it's just not optimal.

1.) Most .233+ cans today are not user serviceable...i.e. they are welded and cannot be taken apart. This is an issue since with 22LR, cans will build up lots of lead in the can... which over time makes it heavier and decreases performance, etc.

2.) You will not get optimum performance (how quiet you can get) shooting 22LR through a bigger can (reliability, or how quiet it can get)

3.) .223+ cans are going to be heavier... most 22LR's are smaller guns, so it's going to be a weird balance, especially if you wanted to use the can on a 22LR pistol! (which is quite fun)

If you can't swing the purchase of 2 cans right now, you can certainly get a 223 can now and use it for both, and later add a dedicated 22LR.

Personally I'd probably go for a .30 caliber can (Omega, Thunderbeast, etc.)... and use it for .223-.30. Then I would get a second dedicated rimfire can... I like the Warlock, or the Mask... but honestly there are a bunch of good ones out there.

Reactions: SoundFx
YHM resonator k or turbo k
the resonator will run smoother on an AR, less backpressure
then get a rimfire can. Avoid aluminum baffles. They’re PITA to clean.

running 22lr through a centerfire can is grade A stupid.

If you go with one user-serviceable centerfire can for rimfire and CF, here’s a list on the Hide that I’ve been updating for a a while. Last updated last Feb:

I had just a Banish 30 for a while for everything. No complaints. Still have it. Now a have a number of cans and a number of brands. Thinking of getting a different brand with a quicker attachment method, like with tapered threads. Keep in mind that the outfit that sells the Banish brand can be a little weird, but the can itself is made by the Mack bros and is solid.

Just a repeat of what has been said already (to drive the point home). I was in a similar spot. I take for ever to decide on purchases, so after a ton of reading, I came to the conclusion I need at least 2 cans. I was going to get the Micro and call it a day. But, after reading and seeing SO many reviews of the DA Mask, the fact that there is no noticeable FRP compared to other similar cans, I decided to buy the Mask. Waiting on the stamp now. A few years ago I was reading up on 30 cal cans and saw DA teasing what is now called Nomad-L. I believe this is your can if you wanted the quietest can around. It is large but you need that volume to get down to the numbers I have seen. That will be purchased as soon as it is back in stock. I think for someone like me, I only need 4 cans. Dedicated 22 LR (Mask), Nomad-L, Primal for the eventual 458 SOCOM upper and the Ghost for my 9 mm and 45 pistols. Wolfman would be nice too, but lets not get greedy...LOL.

One last comment, 22 isn't just dirty. Check out what the inside of the can looks like after 1000 rounds. Probably doubles in weight with the lead. Definitely need to a tumbler and silicon oil coat on the brand new baffles. Supposedly it helps with the cleaning.

Re:silicone coating

If you use silicone oil to pretreat, you’ll most likely create a silicone mist when you shoot. This is bad for your lungs. Here’s a link: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5471635&postcount=9

Using Dot 5 silicone oil is probably an even worse idea. Lots of weird additives in car stuff.

To put it perspective, the dude in the above link would rather deal with the DIP/lead-fricking-acetate than aerosolized silicone.

I’d just tumble the baffles longer.

I’ve seen how lung damage from doing stupid shit (smoking) slowly adds up and ruins a life. It’s not like the person in question was fine and then suddenly her lungs seized up at 78 and she died within months. Nope, not a “gotta-die-from-sumpthing” and “all-deaths-are-equal” scenario.

She could barely walk across the kitchen. She couldn’t walk up steps or play with her grandkids for 15 years. It was sad to see. 😞

Last edited:
Re:silicone coating

If you use silicone oil to pretreat, you’ll most likely create a silicone mist when you shoot. This is bad for your lungs. Here’s a link: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5471635&postcount=9

Using Dot 5 silicone oil is probably an even worse idea. Lots of weird additives in car stuff.

To put it perspective, the dude in the above link would rather deal with the DIP/lead-fricking-acetate than aerosolized silicone.

I’d just tumble the baffles longer.

I’ve seen how lung damage from doing stupid shit (smoking) slowly adds up and ruins a life. It’s not like the person in question was fine and then suddenly her lungs seized up at 78 and she died within months. Nope, not a “gotta-die-from-sumpthing” and “all-deaths-are-equal” scenario.

She could barely walk across the kitchen. She couldn’t walk up steps or play with her grandkids for 15 years. It was sad to see. 😞
Sorry to hear, I've seen the same unfortunately.

Reactions: carbonbased
I've had the Griffin Optimus Micro for several years and it's what you're looking for based on your description. It's built stout and yet very easy to take apart and clean. It surprised me by how quiet it was when I put it on a 223 bolt rifle. The downside is that it's a few ounces heavier than a dedicated 22lr can. If I was going to get a dedicated 22lr can, I would look at the Rugged Oculus. It's been my favorite for several years. I have a bunch of 22 cans and can say honestly that I've compared all of the ones that get recommended here a lot and the Rugged Oculus is the best. I also like the new Rex Silentium can that has each individual baffle threaded. I haven't shot it yet though and can't speak to it's accuracy when installed on a rifle or first round pop or anything other than I was impressed with it's construction when I played with it at my dealers. Sometime in the next year if they get the eForms stuff figured out, I'll let you now how it fairs compared to everything else out there.

I made a thread about the Optimus Micro a few years ago and it has some pics and such. It would be worth a look if you're not too busy.

Wait.

Get a list of ones you like well enough, wait for a 2-for-1 deal from a manufacturer or distributor, buy then.

Many of these deals are specifically for you. Get a centerfire, add on a free .22 can.

Just a repeat of what has been said already (to drive the point home). I was in a similar spot. I take for ever to decide on purchases, so after a ton of reading, I came to the conclusion I need at least 2 cans. I was going to get the Micro and call it a day. But, after reading and seeing SO many reviews of the DA Mask, the fact that there is no noticeable FRP compared to other similar cans, I decided to buy the Mask. Waiting on the stamp now. A few years ago I was reading up on 30 cal cans and saw DA teasing what is now called Nomad-L. I believe this is your can if you wanted the quietest can around. It is large but you need that volume to get down to the numbers I have seen. That will be purchased as soon as it is back in stock. I think for someone like me, I only need 4 cans. Dedicated 22 LR (Mask), Nomad-L, Primal for the eventual 458 SOCOM upper and the Ghost for my 9 mm and 45 pistols. Wolfman would be nice too, but lets not get greedy...LOL.

One last comment, 22 isn't just dirty. Check out what the inside of the can looks like after 1000 rounds. Probably doubles in weight with the lead. Definitely need to a tumbler and silicon oil coat on the brand new baffles. Supposedly it helps with the cleaning.
Take a look at the Nomad LT. It is exclusive to Suppressor Shop. Same size as the Nomad L but it is made from titanium so it is a lot lighter.

Take a look at the Nomad LT. It is exclusive to Suppressor Shop. Same size as the Nomad L but it is made from titanium so it is a lot lighter.
The titanium suppressors heat up faster, so I would prefer the steel.

Not a big deal for precision rifle use, but for high volume shooting such as AR-15/full auto use that's certainly a consideration.
My Nomad-LT sounds awesome on my .300 BLK with subs. It's as quiet as an AR can get. You still hear gas from the port, and the action cycling, but that's about it. There's a few videos of it on my YT channel.

My Sandman-S sounds amazing on my .300 BLK with subs. Very deep and robust sounding can. Definitely can handle F/A as it was designed to handle severe abuse.

Other great options for .300 BLK and other AR cartridges (and bolt-actions) would be Nomad-30, Nomad-L, Sandman-S, Sandman-L, Otter Creek PR-30L, PR-30S, TBAC Magnus (once it gets released).

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
Sharing a center fire and rimfire can fucking blows. I shot a 223 can on my Anschutz 22 a bit and it worked well but it got NASTY. Swapping it back to a center fire the higher pressure was blowing all that rimfire nastiness back into the barrel and action of the gun. So you pretty much have to clean the suppressor every time you go back to center fire or you’re going to have a mess. Cleaning suppressors also sucks, especially a 22 suppressor.

You need two cans, and don’t ever go cheap on cans.