• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Sneeze

wakajawaka

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
Pensacola, FL
I'm having this happen with some handloads. This one is my new .22 Squirrel barrel.
smile.gif

I have an integrally suppressed .44 Magnum that also sneezes once and awhile.

I'm supposing un-burned powder accumulates and then ignites.

The .44 is loaded to less than normal density but the Squirrel is full up to the neck.

I'm not overly concerned.

Anyone else experience this?

Around 1:20 or so.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oxqc3R0rndU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oxqc3R0rndU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Suppressor Sneeze

I can honestly say I have never seen that even with shooting reduced loads of a slow powder.
I have seen excessive flash and "pop"'with first round out of a can but never after several shots

If you are using trail boss that has happened it builds up in a can and the unburnt rings can ignite. But if you have a low pressure can it can cause damage if the explosion is large enough. Kind of like the guy that used a bunch of WD40 to clean his suppressor and went to shoot it. BOOM!! And I have had heard of other powders doing this. You might check if your getting unburnt powder.

I thought that looked like pensacola rifle pistol club. I shoot highpower competitions there. Great group of guys and gals there. I haven't witnessed the issue you are referencing but it sure sounded like unburned powder igniting. The smoke puff kind of gives it away also. It appeared to generate low pressures.

Pretty cool capture of a sound not commonly heard, especially in the .22 (not that much gas). Some cans do that more than others, some designers actually look for that sound as it means a very specific set of conditions.

That has nothing to do with secondary powder ignition.

What you are hearing is post projectile depressurizing and the "pull through" of primary/secodary trapped gas.

The sound has three parts...perfectly heard 1:25....

1. PFFT! = Pre projectile gas press (atmosphere found in the barrel ahead of the projectile) and the major components of post projectile blast suppression release.

2. hee = slight inhale, depressurization and atmosphere draw back.

3. huuu! = All the trapped primary/secondary "captured" or "trapped" gas finally getting out the front of the can.

PFFT heee huuu

There is a lot more on this topic having to do with purge, but that is what you are hearing.

Just to be clear, it's a .22 Squirrel.
I'm currently shooting 55gr surplus bullets over 5.7gr AA2015.
I have not heard this sound with .22lr.

.22Mag next to .22 Squirrel.
SQUIRREL.jpg

Yes, it uses Hornet brass.

It most resembles a short K-Hornet.

R-P brass is thin enough not to need anything more than pushing the shoulder back, trimming to final length, load and shoot.

All other brass I've tried is too thick and would require neck reaming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the parent case a cut down, re-shouldered 22 Hornet? Nifty little thing. </div></div>