• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Suppressor Suggestions For SBR.

lethalsquirts

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 23, 2018
    Indiana
    Looking for a good quality suppressor for a sbr. So many options out there. What’s repeatable, durable, and not too long. Would also prefer a quick detach.
    Been running a few drills on the range and it would be nice to be a few decibels quieter.

Thanks!

Reactions: 338dude
    Is this thread supposed to turn into a game of "how many suppressors can I list"?
    It’s a suppressor thread, so it will get there regardless of intent…

I’d offer this general advice. Don’t think about it too hard. Suppressors are like women. Everyone has their favorite and rarely is that opinion based on enough empirical research to be objectively valid.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
    I spent some time with the OSS/HUXWRX Flow 556k and HX-QD 556 Ti this afternoon. Both worked well, and since they're the suppressors I've shot most recently, it's what I'd recommend. Check back tomorrow for a completely different answer!
    There's so many good options these days it almost doesn't matter. When it comes to suppressors, we are essentially debating around nuances.

Rarely you hear of people regretting a suppressor purchase.

Looking for a good quality suppressor for a sbr. So many options out there. What’s repeatable, durable, and not too long. Would also prefer a quick detach.
    Been running a few drills on the range and it would be nice to be a few decibels quieter.

Thanks!
    What caliber? 5.56? 6.5? 7.62?

If you're wanting a dedicated 5.56 can, then the Otter Creek Labs Polonium is a great one. Under 6" with 7 baffles, and sounds REALLY good. Solid 17-4 stainless, and full-auto rated for up to 10.3" for 5.56, but was told it can handle shorter barrels, but that's between you and the guys at OCL to discuss before purchase. MSRP is only $550, but you can typically find them for less than that. I run mine with a Dead Air Keymo Omega mount setup. Repeatable, reliable, solid lockup, extreme duty.

If you want .30 caliber and duty-rated, then I'd go Dead Air Sandman-S.

There's so many good options these days it almost doesn't matter. When it comes to suppressors, we are essentially debating around nuances.

Rarely you hear of people regretting a suppressor purchase.

Yep. There are easily a dozen that I could recommend based upon a few parameters (price pain point being one of the most significant), and about half of those are in my safe at the moment. It's a great time to be in the market.

I would not recommend a quick disconnect system that uses a brake of any kind on an sbr. I personally went with the DA Xeno flash hider as I like the A2ish look, length, and weight.

Trying to choose scientifically is extremely difficult, if not impossible. I decided that Dead Air seems to be a good company (they're near me, and in a tiny town where my Grandma was born) so I will use their product that fits my needs. So far, I've been happy.

Just remember that this is a life Long commitment ( essentially) dead air is fine, i own several. That said it’s not in the same category as surefire. A sandman s on an mk18 and a rc2 are not equal. In terms of sound and flash
    DA definitely doesn’t make anything suitable for an untuned SBR, and I think every independent review shows that.

Reactions: Riverlife87
    I’m assuming for 5.56 NATO? It’s not a cartridge that’s going to be hushed much to begin with, so I’d go with durability and back pressure mitigation over decibels. They’re all going to sound snappy with that cartridge. With 5.56 you’re basically just trying to make that shit not so spicy.

If it were my money, my short list would be:
    Surefire SOCOM RC2
    Dead Air Sandman
    Dead Air Sandman K if I needed something shorter.

The Sandman cans are .30 cal, which might make for less port pop and less back pressure.
    All of those are damn near bombproof and have a proven track record for reliability.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
    DA definitely doesn’t make anything suitable for an untuned SBR, and I think every independent review shows that.
    DA Sierra5 no? I'll be running one of those on my 12.5" SBR once the can gets out of jail in a year. Money no object, I'd go with the HUX Flow 5.56. Will have zero impact on the gun's ability to run, less gas to the face, far less back pressure, will run cooler overall, does a great job of suppression according to PEW, compact, etc...

DA Sierra5 no? I'll be running one of those on my 12.5" SBR once the can gets out of jail in a year. Money no object, I'd go with the HUX Flow 5.56. Will have zero impact on the gun's ability to run, less gas to the face, far less back pressure, will run cooler overall, does a great job of suppression according to PEW, compact, etc...
    You just listed a bunch of reasons the why Sierra5 isn’t a great choice for an untuned SBR. I’d rather have a Helios QD, Flow 556k, SCI-Six, R556, or RC2 for the job, not in that order. And there’s probably more I’m not thinking of.

You just listed a bunch of reasons the why Sierra5 isn’t a great choice for an untuned SBR. I’d rather have a Helios QD, Flow 556k, SCI-Six, R556, or RC2 for the job, not in that order. And there’s probably more I’m not thinking of.
    I haven't seen any back pressure numbers and PEW hasn't tested the Sierra5 yet as far as I know (maybe I missed it). Granted, I have an adjustable gas block on mine and it's a piston gun. But like I said, I would have gone with the Flow 556 had it been in stock at the time. I already own the 762Ti and it's been fantastic.

I haven't seen any back pressure numbers and PEW hasn't tested the Sierra5 yet as far as I know (maybe I missed it). Granted, I have an adjustable gas block on mine and it's a piston gun. But like I said, I would have gone with the Flow 556 had it been in stock at the time. I already own the 762Ti and it's been fantastic.
    No PS review and it doesn’t sound like there will be one. However, there are plenty of comparisons out there from consumers. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t stack up to those I listed in regards to backpressure/at ear suppression, although it looks to be better than the Sandman’s as a whole (for 5.56).

With an AGB I don’t think it matters, but for a fixed gas shorty why gamble when we have known quantities?

No PS review and it doesn’t sound like there will be one. However, there are plenty of comparisons out there from consumers. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t stack up to those I listed in regards to backpressure/at ear suppression, although it looks to be better than the Sandman’s as a whole (for 5.56).

With an AGB I don’t think it matters, but for a fixed gas shorty why gamble when we have known quantities?

Well that sucks, been waiting to read a review by PS. Are Dead Air just not handing one over for testing? And I don't disagree, I have buyer's remorse not getting the Flow 5.56 but vs. the others, I'd still look at the Sierra5 given the price and construction. Got to handle the Sierra at my range and it's a chunky monkey, surprised at its heft and it's within an ounce of the HD-762Ti which is a physically larger can. But the stellite baffles should last despite some of the early reported failures due to (I'm assuming) welds. I do love the knurling.

Last time I went to the outdoor range, someone sat down with an 11.5" AR and a muzzle brake. It was so loud I had to get up and walk away from the bench until they were done. It got put back in the bag quickly. I've never shot the 12.5" without the suppressor being on.

I left out the best part about the Flow...easy to clean. Soak it and shoot it out! I've gotten some "looks" at the gun range after shooting out my 7.62Ti post soaking. Not sure if it's recommended with other flow through cans but definitely a benefit vs. a sealed traditional baffle can.

Yeah I realize that but all are being subject to the same testing standard. I'm not one who gets caught up on outright db reduction on a can for an AR. I look for at ear, weight, and how it affects the functioning of the gun. The only reviews I've seen of the Sierra5 have all been positive. But again, it's all done by folks making a profit, whether it be a gun blog or YouTube channel. So you take what you can get information wise and try to make a somewhat informed decision.

I have a Griffin HRT in jail which will be used on a 10.3" 5.56 gun. Griffin claims extremely good flash suppression and performs well on SBRs. Their Dual Lok 5 is claimed quieter than the HRT on a 16" gun, while the HRT is quieter than the Dual Lok 5 on SBRs.

Reactions: 30calDeath
    Well that sucks, been waiting to read a review by PS. Are Dead Air just not handing one over for testing?

He said he'll get to it, just not a priority unless more members ask.

Deadair stopped working with him. Todd paid to be a corporate member, Jay put Dead Air's logo on his sponsor page. A couple days later Dead air asked him to remove it.

Dead air also got very upset at Jay for calling things gen 1 and gen 2. Dead Air changes designs without telling the consumers.

Jay doesn't like that Dead air changes things without making an annotation and informing consumers because he cares about the integrity of his data. If he tests something and a week later they change something that data isn't representative of the new design that a consumer might be using to make what would be an informed decision.

Dead air also says the Ti and steel are the same designs but his data on Nomad L and LT aren't the same.

Did he say he’ll get to it? I’m pretty sure it was “ask Dead Air if they want me to test it.” That doesn’t sound like something he intends to do.

EDIT: it would be nice if member demand actually got him to test some TBAC cans as well. One Ultra 9 review doesn’t say anything about their better/more popular/newer offerings.

Did he say he’ll get to it? I’m pretty sure it was “ask Dead Air if they want me to test it.” That doesn’t sound like something he intends to do.

EDIT: it would be nice if member demand actually got him to test some TBAC cans as well. One Ultra 9 review doesn’t say anything about their better/more popular/newer offerings.

Yes but he did also say to ask dead air. He's had public questions on the Sierra a couple times.

Outside of this website I basically never see tbac mentioned. He has tested a Dominus can but hasn't done the write up on it because basically no members ask about.

He has a massive backlog of things he's tested. It's the processing and write up that takes a while.

Last edited:
    Outside of this website I basically never see tbac mentioned. He has tested a Dominus can but hasn't done the write up on it because basically no members ask about.
    TBAC comes up all the time on hunting forums as well, which makes sense. Until recently all of their cans were focused on precision bolt action applications.

The catch here is that Jay can basically drive the market. Anything he reviews (and publishes) will get the spotlight.

• Haha
    Reactions: 1911hombre
    TBAC comes up all the time on hunting forums as well, which makes sense. Until recently all of their cans were focused on precision bolt action applications.

The catch here is that Jay can basically drive the market. Anything he reviews (and publishes) will get the spotlight.

There is a spotlight but that spotlight can be good, bad or neutral.

Every company is able to use his testing if they find the information and potential marketing valuable.

Not every test is a good result. The EA vox for example, dealers and EA weren't happy with the results. The silencer still needs to perform. The Sandman s did horrible on the mk18 imo.

The Nomad imo did pretty decent for a .30 can.

OCL was formed by guys living in a trailer park and working out of a garage. pretty sure thats still the case. If they can afford it, every big name in the market easily can.

The testing cost for tbac to get the Magnus tested would be basically equate to a couple-few certificates that they give out.