• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressor Suggestions For SBR.

There is a spotlight but that spotlight can be good, bad or neutral.

Every company is able to use his testing if they find the information and potential marketing valuable.

Not every test is a good result. The EA vox for example, dealers and EA weren't happy with the results. The silencer still needs to perform. The Sandman s did horrible on the mk18 imo.

The Nomad imo did pretty decent for a .30 can.

OCL was formed by guys living in a trailer park and working out of a garage. pretty sure thats still the case. If they can afford it, every big name in the market easily can.

The testing cost for tbac to get the Magnus tested would be basically equate to a couple-few certificates that they give out.
I don’t disagree, and nothing I said should indicate otherwise. Unless a review is overwhelmingly negative, however, it’s going to help. Even neutral reviews are better than no reviews.

I know the TBAC guys could afford it and wish they would, but that doesn’t change the fact that what Jay chooses to review for the “member-funded research” moves the needle. It would be naive to think it doesn’t.

Apparently, the TBAC guys don’t think they need a larger customer base. I certainly don’t think it’s because they think their cans won’t stack up.

I don’t disagree, and nothing I said should indicate otherwise. Unless a review is overwhelmingly negative, however, it’s going to help. Even neutral reviews are better than no reviews.

I know the TBAC guys could afford it and wish they would, but that doesn’t change the fact that what Jay chooses to review for the “member-funded research” moves the needle. It would be naive to think it doesn’t.

Apparently, the TBAC guys don’t think they need a larger customer base. I certainly don’t think it’s because they think their cans won’t stack up.

They are booked like 2 years out. I think they are doing okay....

Oh I'm very much aware that his testing influences market direction, purchases, etc. As good performance should. Why wouldn't you want better stuff.

As far as that release schedule goes it is based on what his members want and market prevalence.

Last 6 member funded reviews iirc are yhm T2, sandman s, Nomad, Q Full nelson, EA ARX and GSL Phoenix. These are popular cans.

3 of those companies aren't exactly big fans of his.

If enough members and market demand asks Jay for Sierra testing it will happen sooner rather than later.

Hell it seems like dead air doesn't even advertise it. 9/10 pictures on their ig have sandmans or nomads on AR's. There was a time shortly after the Sierra release that I don't think they posted a picture of it for over a month. I'm wondering if they have kept quiet about it because on initial release they had a pretty significant amount of them basically disintegrate on the first few shots due to incorrectly heat treated stellite.

Last 6 member funded reviews iirc are yhm T2, sandman s, Nomad, Q Full nelson, EA ARX and GSL Phoenix. These are popular cans.
Are the EA and GSL actually popular? I basically never hear about them, and I don’t have a local dealer that stocks anything from either company that I know of. Meanwhile, even Scheels has TBAC. This is why it starts feeling a bit arbitrary.

Are the EA and GSL actually popular? I basically never hear about them, and I don’t have a local dealer that stocks anything from either company that I know of. Meanwhile, even Scheels has TBAC. This is why it starts feeling a bit arbitrary.

EA arx had a ton of hype. 5.8", 8oz. Light weight strong silencer. Their vox s is/was quite popular as well.

As far as sub gun cans gsl phoenix has sone popularity and some historical significance.

Reactions: Texascbr
DA definitely doesn’t make anything suitable for an untuned SBR, and I think every independent review shows that.
🤔🤔🤔 My 7.5” 5.56 with a standard GB and H buffer runs just fine with my Sandman-S cans…

I’d be willing to bet it will run just fine with my OCL Polonium, too…

🤔🤔🤔 My 7.5” 5.56 with a standard GB and H buffer runs just fine with my Sandman-S cans…

I’d be willing to bet it will run just fine with my OCL Polonium, too…
You cite PS data way too much to pretend to not know your choices are far from optimal.

By that metric you could throw about whatever can you want on and it will “run just fine.” Or, you could choose a quieter and lighter can that will send less toxic fumes back into your face.

You cite PS data way too much to pretend to not know your choices are far from optimal.

By that metric you could throw about whatever can you want on and it will “run just fine.” Or, you could choose a quieter and lighter can that will send less toxic fumes back into your face.
You seem to get butthurt pretty easily when someone debunks your talking points…

Have you ever even shot a Sandman-S on a 5.56 pistol/SBR, or are you just going by what rando intronet people say, and what PS says based off of ONE SET of tests from on ONE weapon system, that might be totally different from yours? Because according to Jay’s data, the Sandman-S is on the lower end of the BP scale…

Also, when it comes to muzzle numbers, you won’t find much quieter than the Polonium, but the higher BP (according to Jay, my personal experiences were slightly different) numbers are higher than optimal.

Have you ever even shot a Sandman-S on a 5.56 pistol/SBR, or are you just going by what rando intronet people say, and what PS says based off of ONE SET of tests from on ONE weapon system, that might be totally different from yours? Because according to Jay’s data, the Sandman-S is on the lower end of the BP scale…
I do not and will not ever have a Sandman, because I’m using the best information publicly available to make my decisions (and they’re too long/heavy). Sort of like you did when you chose the Polonium (notice I haven’t said a single bad thing about the Polonium).

Just because you like your Sandmans doesn’t make them objectively good compared to the other available options.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I do not and will not ever have a Sandman, because I’m using the best information publicly available to make my decisions (and they’re too long/heavy). Sort of like you did when you chose the Polonium (notice I haven’t said a single bad thing about the Polonium).

Just because you like your Sandmans doesn’t make them objectively good compared to the other available options.
So, if you’re not speaking from any actual personal experience, then how can you definitively know for an absolute fact that you’re not (accidentally) misrepresenting information about the Sandman-S, that someone else was being slightly bias towards? Some claim it’s heavy, but it’s only like 17.7 oz, and it’s actually only 6.8” including the KeyMo. So, it’s nearly identical to the OSS HX-QD 5.56 can at 17.3 oz, and 6.67” length.

The Flow 556K is only 12.9 oz and 5.5” long…

So, if you’re not speaking from any actual personal experience, then how can you definitively know for an absolute fact that you’re not (accidentally) misrepresenting information about the Sandman-S, that someone else was being slightly bias towards? Some claim it’s heavy, but it’s only like 17.7 oz, and it’s actually only 6.8” including the KeyMo. So, it’s nearly identical to the OSS HX-QD 5.56 can at 17.3 oz, and 6.67” length.

The Flow 556K is only 12.9 oz and 5.5” long…
I don’t know what personal experience would do here. You (correctly) pointed out that unless we’re talking about identical weapon systems, performance may not be the same. So, again, I’m making my decisions based on the best available information. Hell, if I were looking for a .300 BO can I may even consider one (before ruling it out for size/weight).

Given that OP stated it’s a Mk18-ish weapon, would you really recommend the Sandman-S over, say, the Flow 556k or SCI-Six? Best available information says no, and I’m guessing you will too.

I don’t know what personal experience would do here. You (correctly) pointed out that unless we’re talking about identical weapon systems, performance may not be the same. So, again, I’m making my decisions based on the best available information. Hell, if I were looking for a .300 BO can I may even consider one (before ruling it out for size/weight).

Given that OP stated it’s a Mk18-ish weapon, would you really recommend the Sandman-S over, say, the Flow 556k or SCI-Six? Best available information says no, and I’m guessing you will too.
Honestly, the Sandman-S makes for a really good .300 BLK can. It’s only got 5 baffles, so it’s not supremely quiet by any means, but it’s still well-below the hearing safe threshold with subs. Very deep and chunky/thumpy tone. But my 9 baffle Hydrogen-S 7.62 can is supremely quiet for .300 BLK subs.

Digressing back to the 5.56 can debate, given that he’s using a MK18-ish weapon, Sure his data might be closer to Jay’s than what my rifles would be, but if he already had the Sandman, or Polonium, or something similar, it would be cheaper and easier to buy an AGB, an H3 buffer, and tune it to work nearly as good as the flow-throughs when it comes to BP, but it would still also be quieter at the muzzle, so, it might have a small amount of gas, but overall a much quieter rig. It can be done fairly easily and inexpensively if you know what you’re doing. It’s really not a massive undertaking like some folks make it out to be. Are some setups finicky and won’t run right? Sure, it happens. But buying top-tier parts, and pairing them with a high-end (properly ported) barrel, and making sure they’re installed 100% correctly and pairing the right parts together goes a long way to alleviating a large portion of chance of potential issues.

We could honestly argue about this for days, and never agree, it’s just a fundamental difference of opinion. Personally, I like tinkering with things to see just how precise and consistent I can make them, and sometimes I do things simply out of spite because someone told me it couldn’t be done. And I know other folks who would rather jarhead everything, and want something made simple and crayon-eater and tard-proof. And that’s cool, too. Typically, simpler designs Are naturally tougher, from less moving parts.

So I'll weigh in here. I've probably put 500+ rounds through a Sandman S attached to a DD Mk18 upper. And I shoot lefty, so I'm a lot more aware of back pressure than you righties. For me back pressure on the Sandman has pretty much been a non-issue. In a perfect world would I prefer the Sandman to be a few ounces lighter? Sure. But I find it actually balances pretty nicely on my DD, I really like the KeyMo quick detach system and although the can is probably overbuilt for the way I use it, it's nice to know I could do back to back mag dumps and have no worries about damaging the can.

And if you want to save a little weight you can always go with a Nomad and Xeno mount. Or if it's going to stay on a 5.56 rifle the Sierra 5.

Of course I'm sure there are other great alternatives as well. Really depends on your priorities - i.e. weight, flash suppression, back pressure, mounting systems, ruggedness/durability, price/budget, etc. Decide what's important to you and then pick the can that matches up best with your priorities.

And to add to FuhQ's point, I think I'm running an H2 buffer with a Geissele spring. Gun is pretty soft shooting, but runs like the proverbial sewing machine. Was shooting it in 2 degree temps the other day. Zero issues.

Reactions: FuhQ
Quite a bit of suggestions from you all. Some of you definitely brought up some interesting key points and questions. I've researched a few more cans and I'm thinking 100% the Surefire SOCOM RC2 is what I want. I feel like that's the best bang for my buck. Thanks for the input.

I ended up going with ones that haven't been mentioned at all. The Griffin Armament Dual-lok HRT is purpose built for SBRs. It's still fairly light 14.1oz while being a hard use can that is tubed. The Dual-lok 5 is not "hard use" tailored, but it still has no minimum length restrictions and only weights 11.6oz. I enjoyed them so much I picked up the HRT & DL7. The HRT is a modified recce 5 stack while the DL5 is a modified explorr stack. I was really impressed by the mounting system. My buddies cans have long lost that cool ratcheting sound on their cans. The Dual-lok 5 definitely had a bit less backpressure than the HRT, but I wanted a harder use can. The HRT supposedly has best in class flash suppression (I haven't tested this as mine are still in jail).

Overall, I'm super happy with my purchase, and picked them up for a screaming deal off a dropshippers website. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have went with the DL5 over HRT for the extra weight savings (though I won't know for sure til i get it out of jail and see it under nods). I heard and felt a Flow556k and it really was awesome. I just couldn't swing the price, grab a 30 cal can, and I wanted mount similarly between my 5.56 and .300/308.

If you get a can with a hub mount I thoroughly suggest looking at GA Dual-lok system. It's lightweight, quick to attach/get off, and doesn't have any wearable parts. You probably don't need that secondary retention system, but I've seen my friends get strikes, and I love the peace of mind. All my range buddies run RC2 or DA cans. Even after seeing/hearing/shooting them I was super impressed by the GA.

Last edited:
New video is up with my new Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 suppressor! This is the quietest 5.56 suppressor I've ever shot, and it sounds amazing!

As always, weapon & suppressor specs, and my personal opinions are in the description box of the video.

Quite a bit of suggestions from you all. Some of you definitely brought up some interesting key points and questions. I've researched a few more cans and I'm thinking 100% the Surefire SOCOM RC2 is what I want. I feel like that's the best bang for my buck. Thanks for the input.
Great choice. If you haven’t already, take a look at the Surefire SB2 as well. With a 10.3” barrel you’re giving up a couple decibels for a slightly larger bore, but significantly less back pressure.

God damn Andrew is getting his moneys worth. You pedal that shit hard…
First off, fuck off. Second, I buy all my own cans, stamps, trusts, private range membership, etc… I don’t get anything free from anyone. Third, I’m just making videos while doing exactly what I do when I’m not making videos…Shooting guns most every weekend…I just record it for the hell of it. Fourth, I’m only making the videos to give me something to do for fun, and to learn a new skill (video editing). It gives me something to do in my spare time.

If you don’t like it, that’s not my fucking problem…Feel free NOT to watch. But I don’t see you out there doing anything remotely productive. Making snarky smartass comments while hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard is pretty weak.

@monkeypunch You proudly spent your own money on a Griffin Armament can…You have absolutely zero room to laugh about anyone’s suppressor choice. 🤣
I'm not laughing at your suppressor choice. I'm laughing at your ass hurt from being called out. Also... from your wife's pussy. You're a clown.

• Haha
Reactions: 30calDeath
I think you make a fair point. Very few of us own a large variety of suppressors. I suspect I own more than most with a Dead Air Sandman S, a Dead Air Nomad TI, an older model Sig and a LaRue Tranquilo. I also have a Dead Air Sierra in jail and a KGM R556 I also just ordered.

I can't say that I've ever really done a side by side comparison of how well each suppresses, and since I don't have any testing equipment it would end up being somewhat subjective. Also, they're generally shot on different rifles, in different calibers, with different barrel lengths, making any kind of comparison more difficult. And I'm generally alone, so my impressions are limited to what they sound like from behind the rifle. Finally, I always shoot with hearing protection, so a couple of DB's one way or another makes little difference to me.

Honestly, with respect to a couple of these suppressors, the deciding factor ended up just being the fact that I got a good deal. Thus, picked up the Sig used from a member of another forum. I think I paid either $200 or $250. And since I have a Sig 516 upper it just made sense. Same with the Tranquilo. I'd previously bought a couple of uppers from LaRue so the suppressor cost me $399. Works great on my LaRue uppers, which already had a Tranquilo muzzle brake on them. And since I shoot lefty the lack of blowback is nice. The only downside is the thing weighs an absolute ton. And just bought the KGM after learning on this forum the KGM was blowing them out. Have wanted a dedicated 5.56 suppressor, and for $299 I figured it was worth it. Plus it's another can with low back pressure.

At the end of the day there may be cans that are a little lighter, a little shorter, offer 1-3 db's more suppression, etc. but I'm just not going to sweat what I consider to be relatively small differences. The Dead Airs work for me because I like the mounting system and have DA muzzle brakes on 4 different rifles. The LaRue works for me because I have a couple of LaRue uppers with the right muzzle brake on them. The Sig works fine on my Sig upper and was super cheap. And I just couldn't resist the KGM for the price.

If I have any regrets its probably that most of these cans are overbuilt for what I use them for. Don't have full auto. Rarely do mag dumps, much less multiple mag dumps. I could probably have saved some weight and gone with something slightly less heavy duty. But it gives me some peace of mind to know that any of these cans can stand up to whatever I throw at them and will last for the rest of my life and probably my children's lives as well.

As for what SBR can I say the Dominus SR. I think it's the best all around can out there.

There are steel cans that can't survive that many cycles. I'm not aware of another Ti can that can besides the Magnus.
Andrew has done some destruction testing of other companies cans. I think the Dominus is the only Ti can to survive so far.

TBAC comes up all the time on hunting forums as well, which makes sense. Until recently all of their cans were focused on precision bolt action applications.

The catch here is that Jay can basically drive the market. Anything he reviews (and publishes) will get the spotlight.

Here you go. Member data on this one is great.

Here you go. Member data on this one is great.

Saw it, read the free stuff. Cool to see the results, but I’m much more interested in seeing .308 bolt and 14.5 data (that goes for any can).

It’s interesting seeing the hive mind on Reddit absolutely crush TBAC over this, e.g. calling them negligent because people think their published #s mean the cans are hearing safe or the guy who said they fudge their published weights.

Saw it, read the free stuff. Cool to see the results, but I’m much more interested in seeing .308 bolt and 14.5 data (that goes for any can).

It’s interesting seeing the hive mind on Reddit absolutely crush TBAC over this, e.g. calling them negligent because people think their published #s mean the cans are hearing safe or the guy who said they fudge their published weights.

I'm very much looking forward to the 14.5 testing as well.

I don't reddit other than randomly searching for something on Google and getting a reddit link but it's unfortunate that people can't behave.

Also if someone is complaining about <140 db numbers and/or calling things "hearing safe" I'm pretty sure basically every company has done this. I do agree that it (hearing safe) shouldn't really be said though and it is hazardous to end users that don't fully understand what it means.

Anyway in this I was surprised they were able to get such consistent waveforms and mask frp even with the overbore on the mk18.

Also if someone is complaining about <140 db numbers and/or calling things "hearing safe" I'm pretty sure basically every company has done this. I do agree that it (hearing safe) shouldn't really be said though and it is hazardous to end users that don't fully understand what it means.

Anyway in this I was surprised they were able to get such consistent waveforms and mask frp even with the overbore on the mk18.

I agree, people really shouldn’t throw around terms like “hearing safe.” However, there’s a little natural selection going on. I understand the occasional shot hunting or on a longer bolt gun, but if you’re shooting supers out of an AR without ears at the range you deserve hearing loss, regardless of whatever you think the manufacturer said.

That was probably the most interesting part to me, even more so because I had recently been reading .22 can comparisons. A few people have stated the Mask has less FRP than the 22TD. Seemed very un-TBAC like, and this only confirms how much of an anomaly that is.

Reactions: jb0311 and Clayman

Reddit is a Jay echo chamber. Love the Pew testing and consistency. Hate, I mean HATE the "rating" thing. Reddit likes to tear into a manufacture for bad or made up numbers. But, the the Pew arbitrary number is taken as gospel, and can't be questioned.

Reddit is a Jay echo chamber. Love the Pew testing and consistency. Hate, I mean HATE the "rating" thing. Reddit likes to tear into a manufacture for bad or made up numbers. But, the the Pew arbitrary number is taken as gospel, and can't be questioned.
The most glaring example was everyone turning on CGS, and then doing another 180 and deciding CGS is *the* top manufacturer again.

Reactions: monkeypunch
Looking for a good quality suppressor for a sbr. So many options out there. What’s repeatable, durable, and not too long. Would also prefer a quick detach.
Been running a few drills on the range and it would be nice to be a few decibels quieter.

Thanks!
SilencerCo omega 300 . Full auto rated up to 300 win 14+ ounces on weight 6 inches long without the anchor brake and comes with the bravo brake and quick attach.

This thread's a circus, but I'll still add my 2 cents.

After buying 7-8 different cans of all different designs, if I was starting over I'd buy nothing but flow through cans (HUXWRX or similar) for gas guns, and TBACs for my bolt guns.

The flow through benefits are huge and totally worth any tradeoffs. With the good flow through cans, zero rifle tuning is necessary, zero blowback, the gun stays cleaner, and at ear numbers are as good as anything. They can be a bit flashier on a 10.5. A smidge more barrel length can mitigate that, but this is a legitimate concern for the NV crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasgun and 338dude
Looks like a bunch of noise being posted but my Sbr's have a TBAC ultra 7, TBAC CB7, SF fa556ar (old as shit), and I've got a yankee Resonator K or one of the short YHM's in jail, I've honestly forgotten which one but it's the short one. All of them work fine but still need ear pro on an AR in my opinion and the tinnitus in my left ear agrees.

Where have you seen that info? What social media platform?
Instagram mostly but probably reposted from other sources originally.

Also read that when dead air fixed them the baffles that failed were originally black and when returned the baffle stack is silver.

Sounds like it was just a bad batch. I do know that Dead air at least in the past has outsourced to a large number of shops to keep up with demand. Could have been from a particular shop that fucked up.

Reactions: HaydenLane
I'm very much looking forward to the 14.5 testing as well.

I don't reddit other than randomly searching for something on Google and getting a reddit link but it's unfortunate that people can't behave.

Reddit is a cesspool. It's very much a hive mind and rhetorical echo chamber.

Did TBAC state that the Dominus is "hearing safe" anywhere? Stating something is "hearing safe" requires a lot of context, but generally no center-fire suppressor is "hearing safe" without ear-pro, except for some rare exceptions.

Reddit is a good place to avoid if you want to inform yourself on any topic or subject, but especially firearms.

It’s a suppressor thread, so it will get there regardless of intent…

I’d offer this general advice. Don’t think about it too hard. Suppressors are like women. Everyone has their favorite and rarely is that opinion based on enough empirical research to be objectively valid.
If I was to use your analogy, then I want the biggest widest can possible.

• Haha
First off, fuck off. Second, I buy all my own cans, stamps, trusts, private range membership, etc… I don’t get anything free from anyone. Third, I’m just making videos while doing exactly what I do when I’m not making videos…Shooting guns most every weekend…I just record it for the hell of it. Fourth, I’m only making the videos to give me something to do for fun, and to learn a new skill (video editing). It gives me something to do in my spare time.

If you don’t like it, that’s not my fucking problem…Feel free NOT to watch. But I don’t see you out there doing anything remotely productive. Making snarky smartass comments while hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard is pretty weak.

@monkeypunch You proudly spent your own money on a Griffin Armament can…You have absolutely zero room to laugh about anyone’s suppressor choice. 🤣

I'm not laughing at your suppressor choice. I'm laughing at your ass hurt from being called out. Also... from your wife's pussy. You're a clown.
Hell yeah! Now it’s a party…
1678751878818.gif

Dude fanboys anything he buys.

No matter if a bunch of people here have real world experience with failures of a product, he'll claim his works flawlessly and you're too dumb to use it.
You forgot “explode into awkward temper tantrum”.

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude