• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supressor accuracy with 22LR

billmeek

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Middle TN
I've read elsewhere where a suppressor can have a positive effect on accuracy with 22LR. My question is if you already have a very accurate 22 using good match ammo, would a quality suppressor (i.e. TBAC) more likely reduce or increase accuracy?

I've noticed no changes for the better or worse on two guns using a SWR Spectre II (10/22 with TacSol barrel and MkII with threaded target bull barrel). I would imagine it would be different for every person depending on the gun/ammo/suppressor combination used.

I wouldn't expect it to make any difference.
The only accurately difference I've seen shooting suppressed was when my suppressor was filled up with crud, after a good clean it was back to normal.

i mean, it can. whether thats positive change in accuracy is a different thing. theoretically its affect the harmonics of the rifle but also wards off any turbulent gases near the muzzle, but dont get one expecting it to be more accurate. that being said:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/10/suppressor-myth-busting-do-silencers-degrade-accuracy/

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/suppressors/suppressor-affect-accuracy

both of these say suppressors increase accuracy.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/rifle-less-accurate-suppressor/

this one however, is tested using a rifle configured from the ground up for precision. this rifle decreased in accuracy with a suppressor, which is kind of expected because now your messing with a configuration that was specifically designed to be as accurate as possible. this is the answer to your question, it likely wont increase accuracy, but you dont really know until you try the suppressor.

a big caveat is that these are all centerfire tests, i couldnt find any tests with rimfire. so i guess if your rifle is only decently accurate, it could make it better but if its something like a vudoo or high end anschutz configured for high precision, it might, but also might not. so basically your rifle might be more accurate suppressed. Or it might not. and this can vary between suppressors (https://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-rated-10-rimfire-cans-128171.html , https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/jeremy-s/gear-review-rimfire-suppressor-round/)

Last edited:
The gasses out of the muzzle is what I've read before explaining why a suppressor "should" increase accuracy. What I was asking is have any shooters tried to see if this actually applies to the higher-end (Kidd supergrade, Vudoo, etc) 22 rifles? What should work often doesn't match reality. I've also thought that the ammo preference for a given rifle could change by the use of a suppressor.

The gasses out of the muzzle is what I've read before explaining why a suppressor "should" increase accuracy. What I was asking is have any shooters tried to see if this actually applies to the higher-end (Kidd supergrade, Vudoo, etc) 22 rifles? What should work often doesn't match reality. I've also thought that the ammo preference for a given rifle could change by the use of a suppressor.

With rimfire there are so many other factors that affect accuracy that adding a suppressor is the last thing to worry about.
I haven't noticed a change in ammo preference, both my CZ and Tikka shot the same both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Thanks. I may be overthinking this but since I've just started moving towards better 22s such as my first build, Summit, and/or a Vudoo, I'm trying to consider the longer term.

well, i asked Mike Bush, the designer and founder of vudoo and he said thunderbeast or amtac. imo you should go with the TBAC takedown. vudoo said it's good, snipershide says it's good, online comparisons say its good.

I have a SilencerCo Sparrow that's been waiting on the tax stamp for well over a year. My next suppressor will be a TBAC.

I have one barrel that my suppressor screws up the accuracy significantly.

The rest of my barrels it doesn’t seem to affect them either for good or bad ( at least as good as I can shoot)

Most I have taken shoot better with a can and I believe it is because it is much more pleasant with a can on than off.

oh nice, i didnt see that they had a tool to locate shit. thats really handy.

Anybody have first hand experience with accuracy result of a Rugged Oculus and a bolt action?

Mine is still in jail, and the indoor range is limited to 10-25 yards when I visit it.

It’s weird because I called the same company a couple of days prior to my purchase, and was told that it would be a while before any would arrive. I filled out the Alert me when available, and received the notification 2 days later.

Personally I haven't noticed any change in accuracy with my suppressed CZ. However, you can find articles that maintain that cans help or hurt. I take this to mean that it depends the individual rifle, ammo, and suppresor. I don't think you will know for sure until you give it a try.