• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire muzzle brake, opinions please.

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
I used the search funtion and find lots of info on Surfire lights, but not really anything on the brake.

I asked in the Vias brake thread about how they compared but really didn't get anything.

SO, for those of you who have the SUREFIRE muzzle brake, what do you think? Surfire seems to make a good case for it, but alas, it's their product.

Re: Surefire muzzle brake, opinions please.

I am running sure fire breaks on my guns and i find it to be at the top of the list of good brakes.

By years end i will have the Surefire break on all my bolt guns so i can just rotate my surefire can from gun to gun!

You wont be sorry you went with it!

I did go with it for my Surgeon build.

A nice older lady called yesterday to say it's done and that I have a balance to pay.

I'm paying it, needless to say. But it's got THE surefire brake, so I"m very curious about it.

Then Preston has done you right by getting the proper brake dont worry about!!

I don't own one but watched Lowlight's 18.5" Gladius barely budge when shooting with it.

Not impressed with the two I have shot, but i guess it is the best you can get if you want to use a can.

I shot a brake that Scott McRee designed and was very impressed, but it was not designed for use with a can.

GAP is doing my brakes!!

Gap did mine too. They have blueprints from SF. I had them put a 45 degree shoulder on mine and asked them to "sneak" it in a little closer. George was a great help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gap did mine too. They have blueprints from SF. I had them put a 45 degree shoulder on mine and asked them to "sneak" it in a little closer. George was a great help. </div></div>

Don't understand. What do you mean by sneak it in a little closer. Do you mean put the ports closer together to each other, or closer to the barrel, or something else?

what barrel contour should I use in order to blend in with the diameter of the muzzle brake? Like so:

ubbthreads-2php.jpg

where abouts do you dudes get your SF breaks? i tried to get one while i was at SHOT but no go.... looking at one for my gap build m40a3

The Breaks are way back ordered right now!! There popularity and the military are buying them faster then thye can make them,

Brownells have them in stock according to their site, but I've heard stories about them not keeping it updated. Could be just hearing bad info though, I've had nothing but good luck ordering stuff from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what barrel contour should I use in order to blend in with the diameter of the muzzle brake? Like so:

</div></div>

Barrel will need to be turned down to at least .775 for approx. 2.75" if this is going to be for .308. .338 the barrel can be a little bigger, for .223 a little smaller.

If you go to their website it will give the specs.

thats the slip over portion correct Randy? what I meant was for the OD of the rear ring so that it looks "semi blended/inline" with the OD of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats the slip over portion correct Randy? what I meant was for the OD of the rear ring so that it looks "semi blended/inline" with the OD of the barrel. </div></div>

Yes,

I don't have one right now to look but nothing much bigger then a Remington varmint barrel at about .850 or there abouts for the .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys know if the surefire Brake will thread right onto the 700P .338 MLR? </div></div>

No it won't

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what model number adapter do you all have? </div></div>

The one I use is MB762SSAL/RE This is for the .308

ok thats the one i have. It looked different from LL's in that it not has a flat area in the center for use of a wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok thats the one i have. It looked different from LL's in that it not has a flat area in the center for use of a wrench. </div></div>

I think they are all like that now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I meant mid-body </div></div>

Yes I think they all have to flats at mid body now, Could be wrong but those are all I have seen as of late.

If you go to Surefire's website the model numbers will show the adapter like above when you order from Surefire or anyone the adapter comes with the flats at mid body.

surefire.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Thread size are the Surefire Brakes ? </div></div>

Depends on the caliber and weapon. The one for .308 is 5/8x24. They make one that is for M1A with a different thread as well as the one for the .223 and .338.

I was thinking about getting one of these... The thread size is the same as mine but my barrel diameter is too thick. I was just going to buy one to try but guess not.

If only we were able to use suppressors in CA

Was surprised to see one of these in a local SoCal gunshop, installed on a commercial rifle no less, the .338 CZ 550 Magnum H.T.E.

main084.png

If you guys have any questions on our suppressors or brakes and cannot find the answers on our website please feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

Chuck

Anyone testify to the effectiveness of the surefire brake? I would like to put one on a 300 WM build and cant find anything on the surefire website saying what kind of reduction to expect. I have got to figure that if Surgeon is stocking them that they are a very good product.

They work very well. I am running one on my .308 as well as my AR and I am more than pleased with them.

Chuck

Question about a Surefire MBB556K brake (for AR15). What torque wrench do you recommend for the install of this brake? I don't see any flats on this so was wondering what is the best way to go about it.

I love mine, zero recoil on the AR, and no muzzle rise on the EBR w/ soft push on rear recoil, rapid fire w/ reddot staying on target. I got my AR SFMB from a vendor, and 308MB directly from SF, SF folks are great & very professional, A+ customer services.

Ar15_EBR_SFMB2.jpg

M1aEbrMB.jpg

MiddyMB.jpg

i shot my 308 the other day for the first time without the sf adapter/brake and it does make a BIG difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR15KittyKat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love mine, zero recoil on the AR, and no muzzle rise on the EBR w/ soft push on rear recoil, rapid fire w/ reddot staying on target. I got my AR SFMB from a vendor, and 308MB directly from SF, SF folks are great & very professional, A+ customer services.

Ar15_EBR_SFMB2.jpg

M1aEbrMB.jpg

MiddyMB.jpg
</div></div>

Ok, understand. So they refer to a torque wrench to install this. What type of torque wrench do you use?