• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon 591 action vs rem 700 action.

Re: Surgeon 591 action vs rem 700 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The price! You're paying the same amount for a tuned 700 that you are going to for a nice aftermarket action such as surgeon.</div></div>

That's simply not the case, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for manufacturing tolerance, don't confuse tolerance with clearance. There isn't anything negative about tight tolerances.</div></div>

Folks really do seem to confuse tolerances with clearances.

That being said there is still something negative about tight (i.e. small) tolerances. The issue is that if excessively small tolerances are called for and maintained it can often lead to an unnecessarily high costs but costs which have no positive effect on performance. I'm not saying this has anything to do with Surgeon actions specifically, just a general concept.

IMO accuracy of the rifle starts with the the barrel, then the action. Sure you need both, but you don't have to have the absolute best action to get good results. Likewise you need a good barrel regardless. My point is there are very few people who could shoot the difference between a speced 700 or a surgeon 591, i might even go so far as to say a factory 700 re-barreled. Accuracy is accuracy regardless of the hardware generating it. Does the surgeon have more robust features than the 700, sure. Are the tolerances as tight on a stock 700? by all means no. Will both actions paired with a good barrel, built by a competent smith produce good results? Yes.

This is just my take on things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">way to make a point by bringing up the state i was born in and call home. what does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

you are calling me foolish for spending $500+ less out of pocket for an action that will do everything i need an action to do. if not winning more matches, tell me exactly what a surgeon do that my 700 based build with a one piece ptg bolt won't do? justify that cost to me. prove me a fool.
</div></div>

Good God... Are you delusional? I never called you foolish. You called yourself a fool.

Bottom line; a stock R700 action does not and will not perform the same as a Surgeon. You are going to dump a shit load of $ into the 700 before it can compete. So why not skip around all of the bs and purchase what is all ready to go?

-Ms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">way to make a point by bringing up the state i was born in and call home. what does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

you are calling me foolish for spending $500+ less out of pocket for an action that will do everything i need an action to do. if not winning more matches, tell me exactly what a surgeon do that my 700 based build with a one piece ptg bolt won't do? justify that cost to me. prove me a fool.
</div></div>

Good God... Are you delusional? I never called you foolish. You called yourself a fool.

Bottom line; a stock R700 action does not and will not perform the same as a Surgeon. You are going to dump a shit load of $ into the 700 before it can compete. So why not skip around all of the bs and purchase what is all ready to go?

-Ms

</div></div>

i'm the delusional one? remember this quote?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd be a fool not to go with the Surgeon over Remi action. </div></div>

since i personally choose a remington with ptg bolt over a surgeon, it sounded to me like you were calling me a fool.

i'll take a used $450 remington with old trigger (i could probably make a few bucks back by selling off the oem bolt, stock, and barrel.), $200ish ptg once piece bolt, $110-$150 badger or nf base, $35 ptg lug, square up the receiver myself and it will do EVERYTHING i need it to do. the surgeon does not offer me anything i need for the extra money. does choosing my route make me a fool?

this is my personal choice. i certainly wouldn't call someone a fool for choosing a surgeon if they can afford it. nor would i consider them a fool for saving a few hundred bucks by starting with a remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">way to make a point by bringing up the state i was born in and call home. what does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

</div></div>

-Ms

</div></div>

i'm the delusional one? remember this quote?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd be a fool not to go with the Surgeon over Remi action. </div></div>

since i personally choose a remington with ptg bolt over a surgeon, <span style="color: #FF6666">it sounded to me like you were calling me a fool</span>.

i'll take a used $450 remington with old trigger (i could probably make a few bucks back by selling off the oem bolt, stock, and barrel.), $200ish ptg once piece bolt, $110-$150 badger or nf base, $35 ptg lug, square up the receiver myself and it will do EVERYTHING i need it to do. the surgeon does not offer me anything i need for the extra money. does choosing my route make me a fool?

this is my personal choice. i certainly wouldn't call someone a fool for choosing a surgeon if they can afford it. nor would i consider them a fool for saving a few hundred bucks by starting with a remington. </div></div>

Again I never called you a fool. Sorry if I offended you. This argument has been going on for quite a few years now and problably won't stop until the 1st electromagnetic rail gun comes out in small arms. Even than there will be ways to further improve the accuracy of the R700. Eventually it will be a antique though. There is already improved aftermarket action's out. Yes improved in all areas. My point is simple. If your going to spend the money, why not spend it on something you don't have to dish out the extra $ to fine tune it when you can get something already good to go?

I have heard/said this a dozen times just in here; why not buy a jewell instead of spending all of you hard earned money to have a turd polished :p

Now I don't believe buy a long shot that a R700 is a turd. The most accurate rifle I own is a R700 based rifle, but the amount of $ I had to pay to get it tuned...

Respectfully,
-Ms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Place a model 700 action on the bench and take a good look at it. Now ask yourself, Why did they build it like this? If you are honest with yourself you will conclude, Because they couldn't figure out a way to make it any cheaper. </div></div>

Why would they want to make it more expensive?
Have a surgeon on the way. They are cool and it makes me sleep better at night.